Big Woolwich Barnet

LeeW

Featured Posts

As Barnet has been mentioned in separate discussions on here and on Facebook in the past couple of days I thought there might be some interest in seeing how Barnet is faring these downs south of the BCN in London.
Barnet has been at South Island Marina on the Lee for the past few weeks having some maintenance work done to her running gear and has received a new set of cloths. I'm extremely pleased to go see Mike today and see them today fully fitted and looking great.

New cloths on

We'll be bringing Barnet through London bank holiday Monday and will be gatecrashing the end of Little Venice Cavalcade before heading up to both Rickmansworth and Braunston. We met lot's of people who knew the boat from Laurence's custodianship on the way down from Wolverhampton last year, hopefully will see a few more of you over the summer.
Whilst we have a great collection of stuff thank's to Laurence we'd be more than interested in seeing/hearing anything related to Barnet's 80 years which might be lurking in peoples collections or memories. Feel free to get in touch with me directly or on this thread if anything pops up.
Cheers
Lee

As Barnet has been mentioned in separate discussions on here and on Facebook in the past couple of days I thought there might be some interest in seeing how Barnet is faring these downs south of the BCN in London.
Barnet has been at South Island Marina on the Lee for the past few weeks having some maintenance work done to her running gear and has received a new set of cloths. I'm extremely pleased to go see Mike today and see them today fully fitted and looking great.
We'll be bringing Barnet through London bank holiday Monday and will be gatecrashing the end of Little Venice Cavalcade before heading up to both Rickmansworth and Braunston. We met lot's of people who knew the boat from Laurence's custodianship on the way down from Wolverhampton last year, hopefully will see a few more of you over the summer.
Whilst we have a great collection of stuff thank's to Laurence we'd be more than interested in seeing/hearing anything related to Barnet's 80 years which might be lurking in peoples collections or memories. Feel free to get in touch with me directly or on this thread if anything pops up.
Cheers
Lee

Nice, I was interested in Barnet

• 2 months later...

Would be great to hear of what news you have with the boat in mind. "Barnet" is one of the longest serving GU boats around not having really been out of service since day 1. She also has the final officially issued BCN Number which is an accolade in itself. After many years with her I am very happy to see her in enthusiastic and "young" hands, good luck with your projects. I hope you enjoy the times like myself and my colleagues did, many happy days and good memories.

And i'snt that non traditional weedhatch a "plus".........

Lawrence we met the new custodians of Barnet at braunston , and they had our spare ballast tank to replace some leaky ex bwb steel drums in the hold. So our hold is emptier theirs is fuller.

Lovely people obsessed with the boat and the cut like us when we got thaxted in 1984, and promptly found a load!

It was great over the last 2 shows to find the next generation buying and loving old boats hope that as us old custodians accept reality the heritage will continue

• Greenie 1

We are currently taking a slow trip back down the GU post Braunston as other commitments get in the way - currently in Cosgrove having spent a fortnight at Gayton and a couple of enjoyable cycles along the Northampton arm. Pleased to discover recently via Windlass in my Belt that Wilf Townsend was also a fan of the short day followed by a pint - so we're keeping to tradition in a way...

Barnet will be going to the somewhat off piste Hayes Canal Festival in September - hopefully we'll not be the only historic boat at the festival even though it is a bit of an unusual one. We're also going to be at Woking on the Saturday though we are coming by car - hopefully we'll see some familiar faces there.

Laurence you might be able to help me - I met a gentleman named Joe at Braunston who used to steer Barnet in BW days as a mud hopper - I didn't make a note of his surname unfortunately and wonder if you might be able to place him as he knew the boat whilst it was yours. It definitely wasn't Joe Hollingshead but beyond that I'm stumped.

I think his name is Joe Chetton or Chettin, he came to a Walsall event many years ago. Here is a picture of Barnet in 1972 when on the Walsall canal dredging. This was taken on my "Honeymoon" returning from Stoke Bruerne.

gallery_5000_522_105355.jpg