Canalplan

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Canal planner: it all feels a bit old fashioned and there's a few wrinkles, but it's a remarkable effort and how generous to provide it free. I don't know who provides it, but if it's someone here they should receive a greenie from each and every one of us! :)

Note the authors of CanalPlan show what lengths and percentages of waterways they have length and width data for (87% and 86% respectively for mainland Britain).

So it could still get it wrong due to missing data for the remaining 13% and 14%.

Canal planner: it all feels a bit old fashioned and there's a few wrinkles, but it's a remarkable effort and how generous to provide it free. I don't know who provides it, but if it's someone here they should receive a greenie from each and every one of us! smile.png

Nick Atty, supported I think by his brother Stephen Atty who sometimes posts on here.

It is a wonderful thing!

Indeed I do - its come along way since I coded version 1.0 back in the early 1980s

Don't forget that if data is missing then you can add it. There's long term plans to introduce "Pinch Points" but like enhanced POI (which I'm currently working on) its something that will need good data to make it work

Well there's my promised "Greeenie" Stephen. Many thanks for your stirling efforts and for opening it to all. clapping.gif

ETA I've just noticed I've given you one of the rare '3e' Greenies! Thoroughly deserved too imho.

Edited by Sea Dog

Indeed I do - its come along way since I coded version 1.0 back in the early 1980s

Stephen, I'm a retired programmer of some 20+ years standing (well, mostly sitting, but you know what I mean!) and I have to say it beats me how you did that. It is an awesome piece of work and I commend your brilliance!

I'd love to see the workings one day although I suspect it may be beyond me!