The Vine Prog Today, Friday

Harpur Hill

Featured Posts

Will have to listen on iPlayer over the weekend and find out what happened and was said!

Not a lot, it was a woman asking CaRT to explain how far she has to move if a continuous cruiser as she found it hard to move as she had 2 kids at school and a husband that drove to Bath each day to work and anything over 10 miles would be too difficult to get the kids to school, they could not get a mooring as there are none on the K&A and non that would take kids, than again she was only looking on the CaRT site and obviously not a private residential mooring.

Maybe she needs to have a rethink and get a house

• Greenie 4

Not a lot, it was a woman asking CaRT to explain how far she has to move if a continuous cruiser as she found it hard to move as she had 2 kids at school and a husband that drove to Bath each day to work and anything over 10 miles would be too difficult to get the kids to school, they could not get a mooring as there are none on the K&A and non that would take kids, than again she was only looking on the CaRT site and obviously not a private residential mooring.

Maybe she needs to have a rethink and get a house

Sounds like the same story that was running on the BBC website last week

Clearly got their act together in terms of a media offensive, but doesn't change the fact that when push comes to shove they can't have what doesn't exist.

They can no more have a right to moor exactly where they want to moor when there are no moorings that are in their price range than a right to buy a house at the price they want in the same place.

• Greenie 4

I've had media friends contact me about doing something on this. I told them straight that this is a very specific issue confined to one or two specific places. They soon realised that this wasn't the story it's made out to be.

• Greenie 1

Amazingly Both are working.

She tries the scare tactic If people move into social housing then they will claim benefits .Well big news if you are entitled you can claim them when living on a boat . CRT came over with the fact that the 1995 ruling is the problem so when this minority shout loud enough and there is time for parliament to award CRT the ability to make their own terms and conditions their legs will be cut from under them.

Most boaters ringing in had little sympathy to be honest, I am in the same camp, I have mooring because I need one, because of commitments in the area, when those commitments are gone so will I be gone

I didn't have much sympathy either.

I can fully understand the different lifestyle people want but when you buy your licance as a CCer you know about the 14 day move on please bit.

Not knowing much about it how do you get on if you have no fixed address for the doctors and registering for schools etc.

And the bit about social housing sounded a load off old cobblers. It sounded like some, not all, wanted all off it but not pay for it as a CCer with no fixed mooring/ address they dont pay council tax, I don't think someone would get away with pulling up in a caravn and park it on the road and expect to be able to stay in it just so their children could go to school.

But in the lady's defence she did ask how far she had to move after the 14 days and the man from the CRT couldn't give an difinitive answer.

i listened to it, it did sound like she wanted to know how far a distance was needed to move, which is still not defined fully. I agree with one chap that the Parsih needs to be brought back to CC to be made easy to go by.

But then if you want to CC you know the needs and rules.

I agree with one chap that the Parsih needs to be brought back to CC to be made easy to go by.

I see, good at spotting parish boundaries are you? I'm not

Parish isn't in the act, and I'm pretty sure has never been an officially recognised 'place' for waterways

I bet that somewhere on the cut you can find three parish boundaries crossing the canal no more than a hundred metres apart

Richard

Our parish boundaries are a right horses arse where I live.

One off my jobs is the electoral register I can walk down one street and hit 3 boundaries moving in strange directions down the road.

When the boundary should be across the main road.

I'm a hirer so I doubt CC rules will ever bother me but couldn't CRT (with consultation perhaps) define "zones" on the canals?

They could then be printed on all the guides and then the confused CCer would have the info they wanted. 14 days in one zone then move to another zone etc no return to previous zones for X amount of time.

The repeated pushing of the '' it's my home '' angle is starting to grate with me.

This has no bearing whatsoever on anyone's failure to '' satisfy the board '' and is not a problem to lay at CaRT's door.

If you have chosen to live on a boat ( like we have ), then that's your choice. If you choose to have children, fine.

If you choose to also continuously cruise, that's fine too, provided that you actually want to cruise.

It won't be easy, bearing in mind getting to work and getting the children to school from distant locations but it is possible,it just depends on how eager you are to cruise and how much you want children. If that sounds too much like hard work, then it's not for you.

I don't want a definitive answer to '' how far is far enough '' thank you, so please stop asking the stupid question.

Keith

no but some folk do so they know they are doing it correct, how do you know how far you have to move? you may not be going by the laws as loads of other CC`ers, nothing wrong with wanting to know how to stick to rules, CRT should give a an area as Dyertribe says or a distance,

Easy things in life are such a ball ache at times, why make it so hard.

• Greenie 1

I'm a hirer so I doubt CC rules will ever bother me but couldn't CRT (with consultation perhaps) define "zones" on the canals?

They could then be printed on all the guides and then the confused CCer would have the info they wanted. 14 days in one zone then move to another zone etc no return to previous zones for X amount of time.

CRT can't give a ruling on this, only a court can. The act of Parliament is very clear, you have to move to another place. It doesn't matter if all the boaters organisations agreed, and they won't, It is up to a court to decide. This does make it difficult for boaters but who said boating is easy?

I find all this a little tiring. If you NEED to be in the vicinity of any town or city due to work or schooling can you really in all honesty be a Continual Cruiser?

I think not. Full Stop.

Could not agree more, ether Continuous Cruise ( The Clue is in the statement !!! ) Don't make life hard for the rest of our community. get mooring with work & school -- Or get a house !!!! You can't Have it always--------------------

I find all this a little tiring. If you NEED to be in the vicinity of any town or city due to work or schooling can you really in all honesty be a Continual Cruiser?

I think not. Full Stop.

Yes you can, but you have to choose your places carefully, and Bathampton is not one of them.

The BCN springs to mind immediately, about a hundred miles of canals with good transit links.

Would you have a problem with someone who cruises the Cheshire Ring all the time?

Would you have a problem with someone who cruises the Cheshire Ring all the time?

Only if they were moaning and groaning all the time and going onto national radio pleading that CRT were making life difficult for them.
  • Greenie 2

The repeated pushing of the '' it's my home '' angle is starting to grate with me.

This has no bearing whatsoever on anyone's failure to '' satisfy the board '' and is not a problem to lay at CaRT's door.

If you have chosen to live on a boat ( like we have ), then that's your choice. If you choose to have children, fine.

If you choose to also continuously cruise, that's fine too, provided that you actually want to cruise.

It won't be easy, bearing in mind getting to work and getting the children to school from distant locations but it is possible,it just depends on how eager you are to cruise and how much you want children. If that sounds too much like hard work, then it's not for you.

I don't want a definitive answer to '' how far is far enough '' thank you, so please stop asking the stupid question.

Keith

Excellently analysed. Big fat greenie from me!!!!!!!

I see, good at spotting parish boundaries are you? I'm not

Parish isn't in the act, and I'm pretty sure has never been an officially recognised 'place' for waterways

I bet that somewhere on the cut you can find three parish boundaries crossing the canal no more than a hundred metres apart

Richard

Yes but broadly speaking in the most general sense, cruise to the next parish and CRT leave you alone. Unofficially but reliably.

Find a place where three parishes exist in 100 metres and CRT are unlikely to be 'satisfied'. And quite rightly too. The term 'taking the pish' is unofficially recognised too.

I think not. Full Stop.

Agreed... 1) If you need to be near where you work and where your kids go to school, you almost certainly cannot be a continuous cruiser. The lady in question said that 10 miles would be too far to cycle, but she could use the car on the occasions they were moored near Bath because that's where her other half works. 10 miles wont be a large enough radius to be a continuous cruiser.

2) If you need a definition of how far you need to cruise to be a continuous cruiser, you almost certainly cant be a continuous cruiser.

• Greenie 2

Its always been the same, living on your boat is a grey area, we did it for years and just kept our heads down and moved a bit or had a towpath mooring and quietly lived on. Thing is that that was 35 years ago and the world was a lot different, having a boat meant that you felt an affinity to the world of the industrial/boaty thing. Nowadays there is an undeniable housing crisis, earning £20k is a very good wage for many and it won't buy conventional housing. Anybody with half a brain can see that a boat is a good home and there are lots of affordable ones. There is no way I will condemn anybody for making a home for themselves with what money they've got. Perhaps CRT could widen bits of canals where they own both banks for moorings and instead of the undefinable CC licence return to the old cruising licence and an 11 month / semi residential mooring on the wide bits. The 'problem' isn't going away so maybe CRT should grow up and find ways to accomodate boat dwellers. More revenue, rules that it is possible to comply with, how could anybody possibly complain?

• Greenie 1