lampini

Featured Posts

Hi All!

A question about weather - nowt to do with the chilli we'll be eating later...

Well the odyssey continues.. Have to say, we're bluddy loving it so far! I'm finding that I'm abit of a natural at the steering thing, this lovely boat seems to do exactly as I ask her - 57 foot does seem long sometimes tho!

Currently we're moored between Bradley Green Bridge (sani station) and Atherstone Bottom lock, with he idea of doing Atherstone locks and ending up at Springwood Haven tomorrow, for a nice chat with the lovely Onboard Energy chaps as recommended by Athy (thank u!) .

We can get good phone/3g reception here so OH can get an afternoon's work done on the lappy.

As I sit here watching him work (heh!) and noodling about on t'internet, it occurs to me that the wind is getting a lot windier... A quick gander at my weather apps shows 20-25mph winds tomorrow, with gusts up to 36mph! ?

Now so far for the last two weeks, for this time of year, we have been utterly blessed with lovely weather, and no wind! We don't absolutely HAVE to move tomorrow, should we not bother? Voices of experience needed here.. Much gratitude in advance!

Much depends on your boat, its weight and draught. You won't know till you try. Cast off. Attempt to go in straight line. If you can't, moor up again. But as you reckon you're getting a feel for this steering lark, I suspect that you will adapt to the conditions just fine.

Does Wag (Springwood) work on Saturdays? If not, you'd sho' nuff better get there tomorrow if you can.

Edited by Athy

Untie in the morning, try moving, if you are not 'comfortable' then tie-up again.

Boating is about 'freedom' to do, or not to do things*, as the fancy takes you.

* within the law.

Great minds, Mr. de E!

Harrumph!

Being serious - its probably that intangible thing called 'experience'.

'A few' years boating, no trouble with BW / C&RT, never have 'the wrong weather' (just the wrong clothes), not in a rush, don't need to be anywhere in particular, and nowhere at a certain time, 'life just rolls on by'.

If its something new or different, just give it a try - if it doesn't work, stop, and don't do it again - if it works OK then you have learned something, if it was a 'bit iffy' you now know the limits.

• Greenie 1

In a strong cross wind and your going down hill and are sheltered from the wind in the calm of a lock chamber and are about to leave it, stuff plenty of power on and be ready as you leave or you'll be blown straight onto the lea shore as soon as you leave the shelter of the lock walls.

Does Wag (Springwood) work on Saturdays? If not, you'd sho' nuff better get there tomorrow if you can.

Good point!

09.00 - 16.00 on a Saturday - and the pressure's off then! ?

Edited by lampini

The wind, even a stiff breeze can be a tricksy thing. You'll be doing fine as you cruise along but as you slow down for a lock landing or somesuch, you'll lose steerage and the breeze will take over & push you somewhere you didn't expect. Sometimes you can find yourself pinned to the bank by a crosswind. No big deal usually, plus you get to discover how to overcome problems like these.

Give yourself a bit extra space when passing other peoples boats slowly.

Good point!

09.00 - 16.00 on a Saturday - and the pressure's off then!

...which means, of course, that the weather will be benign and you'll tootle up the Atherstone flight tomorrow without a care in the world.

Sometimes you can find yourself pinned to the bank by a crosswind.

It's happened to me outside pubs. It's just not worth fighting the elements in such circumstances.

• Greenie 1

Being serious - its probably that intangible thing called 'experience'.

'A few' years boating, no trouble with BW / C&RT, never have 'the wrong weather' (just the wrong clothes), not in a rush, don't need to be anywhere in particular, and nowhere at a certain time, 'life just rolls on by'.

If its something new or different, just give it a try - if it doesn't work, stop, and don't do it again - if it works OK then you have learned something, if it was a 'bit iffy' you now know the limits.

Wish I'd written that! Greenie blob.

last year i came of the river 7 at stourport ...got in stourport basin ...then howling winds started ..god did i have a job on my hands ...i took 5 guys to pull me in so i could moor up ...dont now how i would have coped if i had still been on the river ...i have been boating some years now ...but never had that happen before. if you are in no rush ...stay put ...i would

In a strong cross wind and your going down hill and are sheltered from the wind in the calm of a lock chamber and are about to leave it, stuff plenty of power on and be ready as you leave or you'll be blown straight onto the lea shore as soon as you leave the shelter of the lock walls.

But even worse if you are going downhill. You line up to enter the lock, slow down and bang! A sudden gust has pushed you offline and you've clouted to the concrete at the entrance.

We moored after that.

The dent in the front will always remind me!

Edited by pearley

But even worse if you are going downhill. You line up to enter the lock, slow down and bang! A sudden gust has pushed you offline and you've clotted to the concrete at the entrance.

We moored after that.

The bent in the front will always remind me!

Yes, but your aware how windy it is as you approach, but lulled into a sense of calm at the bottom of a lock chamber one tends to forget how windy it is, until you trickle out and surprise surprise, wham!!! pinioned on the bank.

last year i came of the river 7 at stourport ...got in stourport basin ...then howling winds started ..god did i have a job on my hands ...i took 5 guys to pull me in so i could moor up ...dont now how i would have coped if i had still been on the river ...i have been boating some years now ...but never had that happen before. if you are in no rush ...stay put ...i would

The wind across Stourport basins can make it very interesting especially in a clothed up working boat being blown towards the Commodores Gin Palace. You get some glares when you wind the power on and narrowly miss his bows. Don't ask how I know this.