Bitumen

Geoff

Featured Posts

Off I went to get my usual 2 cans of Rylards Blacking, but I was told they didn't have any in stock as they were transferring to this stuff

http://www.symphonynarrowboatpaint.co.uk/hull-coating.html.

They had the 2 types as shown but no labels giving the details / differences between them and looking on the website they look the same to me apart from the name.

Anybody used them ? and whats the difference?

Geoff

With paint, thixotropic ususlly means 'non-drip'.

Tony

I thought it was the opposite? Thixotropic fluids become less viscous (thinner) when stirred or mixed so surely they would be more prone to drip?

Happy to be corrected.

Edited by Claude

I thought it was the opposite? Thixotropic fluids become less viscous (thinner) when stirred or mixed so surely they would be more prone to drip?

Happy to be corrected.

That's why non-drip paint has "DO NOT STIR" writ large on the can.

• Greenie 1

Claude seems to be having a bad morning.

I prescribe several mugs of strong coffee and a walk round the block to clear the head.

smile.png

Not at all - what makes you say that? I'm actually having a very good morning. cool.png

There certainly seem to be quite a few people on this forum who make unnecessary personal comments instead of sticking to the subject. Anyway, I don't need your prescriptions thank you very much. I'll assume you're speaking for yourself and it's you who needs to clear your head.

That's why non-drip paint has "DO NOT STIR" writ large on the can.

Thanks. I said I was happy to be corrected. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Claude

Thixotropic paint is clever stuff, so you load the brush with the thick stuff then as you apply it the paint is spread by the bristles which drops the viscosity (thickness) so it spreads well, but then the applied paint film is now just sitting and rapidly increases in viscosity again - thickens up. So it tends not to run and drip unless very thick. Give the can a good stir and it will take a long time to recover, hence never stir just before you want to use it.

Where are you buying from? Presumably you could buy Rylards elsewhere if that is what you have used successfully in the past.

If your supplier has made a unilateral decision to supply only one make of blacking, and to switch from Rylards to Symphony, lets hope, for their sake, that their customers dont go elsewhere for Rylards, (and then other stuff :( )