Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
mark99

Organised Showers

Featured Posts

So do I.

I would respectfully suggest that showers merging together are what we often call "rain".

If they were merging together temporally, i.e. happening one after the other without a break, you're right, they'd cease to be "showers" and become persistent "rain". But merging together geographically, in a band, so that people in a given location on the ground would experience a short burst of rain as the band passes over? "Shower" seems right.

Not in my experience. I watch the T.V. weather forecast at the end of the BBC evening news most days, and I don't recall ever having heard it. What's more, if they do use it, their producer should tell them not to because, as we have seen here, it's an expression not understood by most of the viewing public.

Either it never stops raining where you live or the rain is too stupid to get organised.

Those who have a Motor House for their barouches are vastly outnumbered who don't and even have to keep their vehicles on the public roads.

Them 'as live in t'sticks are lucky indeed. I'm told some have heating as well....

You wouldn't keep a barouche in a motor house. It was horse-drawn.

But seriously, I would think that the majority of houses have garages. I shouldn't think that anyone has ever counted them to find out, but to call garage-equipped houses "vastly outnumbered" is surely hyperbole.

bizzard, on 23 Apr 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

I've not garaged my car since 1984. closedeyes.gif

Aha, but your location says you live in Boyd Gibbons land

Either it never stops raining where you live or the rain is too stupid to get organised.

biggrin.png

Yes it does, giving way in the daytime to what in these parts we call fine or sunny weather. Your point being...?

Aha, but your location says you live in Boyd Gibbons land

?

I had not heard of Boyd Gibbons, but the internet suggests that he is American. I think Bizz lives in Hertfordshire.

Athy, on 23 Apr 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

You wouldn't keep a barouche in a motor house. It was horse-drawn.

But seriously, I would think that the majority of houses have garages. I shouldn't think that anyone has ever counted them to find out, but to call garage-equipped houses "vastly outnumbered" is surely hyperbole.

Ah, yes, but - I recall an aged relative many, many years ago referring to my then pride and joy as a barouche, which I though amusing. Perhaps it was slang for a 'banger'.

When we lived in Sarf Lunnon ours was the only house with a garage - a reasonable street with 100 houses.

(Of course I don't really know the proportions - just from my observations).

Athy, on 23 Apr 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

biggrin.png

Yes it does, giving way in the daytime to what in these parts we call fine or sunny weather. Your point being...?

?

I had not heard of Boyd Gibbons, but the internet suggests that he is American. I think Bizz lives in Hertfordshire.

He was a local lad, made good - enough to afford a string of Polo Ponies - the players referred to Bishops Stortford as BG land - so I thought it might be commonly known in that part on the other side of the Thames.

Wikipedia doesn't know everything....

Edit:

I remember now - he sponsored the team below:-

http://www.silverleyspolo.com/

Nice to see that small clubs can survive in these days where anything to do with horses at that level is exceedingly expensive...

Edited by OldGoat

Wikipedia doesn't know everything....

Understatement of the day!

So this Gibbons cove was British?

Athy, on 23 Apr 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Understatement of the day!

So this Gibbons cove was British?

Definitely - Herts-Essex, I suspect local builder / property developer. I did a google and there's a number of links spelt 'Gibbins'.

I was only an after school stable lad - so didn't have much of a connection with the players - that was in the 60s.

Definitely - Herts-Essex, I suspect local builder / property developer. I did a google and there's a number of links spelt 'Gibbins'.

I was only an after school stable lad - so didn't have much of a connection with the players - that was in the 60s.

Interesting - it's amazing to learn of the many and varied walks of life which CWFers have trod.

There's plenty of lads on here who haven't been stable for years.

Athy, on 23 Apr 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

Interesting - it's amazing to learn of the many and varied walks of life which CWFers have trod.

There's plenty of lads on here who haven't been stable for years.

Well, it provides entertainment for others!

In those days things were very relaxed, mixing with the rich and famous - even royalty and only token security, I assumed it was normal.

It was common for youngsters of school age to take holiday jobs that were unusual - working at Bertram Mills Circus, London Boat Show and 'more'.

I feel sad for later generations who didn't get such wide opportunities.

Well, it provides entertainment for others!

In those days things were very relaxed, mixing with the rich and famous - even royalty and only token security, I assumed it was normal.

It was common for youngsters of school age to take holiday jobs that were unusual - working at Bertram Mills Circus, London Boat Show and 'more'.

I feel sad for later generations who didn't get such wide opportunities.

My only schooldays holiday job was as a drayman's mate for Davenport's of Ashby-de-la-Zouch. During my student days I used to go working as a volunteer on the Festiniog Railway and ended up with a summer on the paid staff. But surely "later generations" have wider opportunities? The "gap year", unknown when I were a lad, is commonplace now.

Just popping back to the weather forecasts briefly, the most annoying part for me, is when they insist on wasting the first 30 seconds of a minute and a half forecast, telling me what the weather has been like !

I know that....I lived through it...you're supposed to be forecasting.

Just saying

Rog

• Greenie 1

Just popping back to the weather forecasts briefly, the most annoying part for me, is when they insist on wasting the first 30 seconds of a minute and a half forecast, telling me what the weather has been like !

I know that....I lived through it...you're supposed to be forecasting.

Just saying

Rog

...and you are quite correct in saying it! The clue's in the "fore" bit of the word, is it not?

I find that I can often listen to a modern weather forecast and be left with no clear impression of what the weather in my region is going to be like. I'm sure that years ago, weather forecasts were more authoritative: "In the Home Counties it will be sunny with a maximum temperature [not a "high", please] of 75 degrees. In the North there will be snow, freezing fog and a maximum of 35 degrees, though the 40 m.p.h. winds will make it feel less pleasant than that. The Midlands will be calm and dry and there will be showers of shit over Shropshire". That sort of thing: clear, precise, informative.

Now, the meteorologist twitters away disconnectedly while standing in front of a map at which he waves his arms like a Frenchman on speed, while mysterious symbols scud across it. At the end of it, one doesn't know whether to wear shorts, an overcoat or a tent.

But one thing never changes: the sadistic smile on their lips as they tell us to expect lightning, hurricanes and snowdrifts.

• Greenie 1

...and you are quite correct in saying it! The clue's in the "fore" bit of the word, is it not?

I find that I can often listen to a modern weather forecast and be left with no clear impression of what the weather in my region is going to be like. I'm sure that years ago, weather forecasts were more authoritative: "In the Home Counties it will be sunny with a maximum temperature [not a "high", please] of 75 degrees. In the North there will be snow, freezing fog and a maximum of 35 degrees, though the 40 m.p.h. winds will make it feel less pleasant than that. The Midlands will be calm and dry and there will be showers of shit over Shropshire". That sort of thing: clear, precise, informative.

Now, the meteorologist twitters away disconnectedly while standing in front of a map at which he waves his arms like a Frenchman on speed, while mysterious symbols scud across it. At the end of it, one doesn't know whether to wear shorts, an overcoat or a tent.

But one thing never changes: the sadistic smile on their lips as they tell us to expect lightning, hurricanes and snowdrifts.

Greenie !

I blame Michael Fish.

Ever since that spectacularly bad forecast, it seems to me they try to do anything to avoid being in anyway, remotely specific.

Rog

Greenie !

I blame Michael Fish.

Ever since that spectacularly bad forecast, it seems to me they try to do anything to avoid being in anyway, remotely specific.

Rog

"You may have heard that there's a forecast approaching, but don't worry, there isn't."

• Greenie 1

"You may have heard showers are not organised - don't worry they are".

"You may have heard showers are not organised - don't worry they are".

Who's a cheeky boy, then?clapping.gif

Those who have a Motor House for their barouches are vastly outnumbered who don't and even have to keep their vehicles on the public roads.

Which reminds me of a comment on an American blog site, along the lines of: "Why is it OK to fill your garage with junk so you have to park your car on the public road? Imagine the complaints if instead you kept your car in the garage and piled your junk up on the public road."

• Greenie 1

And talking of America, what is this Apache rain that they keep mentioning on the forecast?

And talking of America, what is this Apache rain that they keep mentioning on the forecast?

It falls during the Indian summer.

• Greenie 2

Which reminds me of a comment on an American blog site, along the lines of: "Why is it OK to fill your garage with junk so you have to park your car on the public road? Imagine the complaints if instead you kept your car in the garage and piled your junk up on the public road."

Greenie for that!

When I first moved in to my present home, in the late seventies, I always parked the car in the garage. However, over the years cars have got not necessary bigger, but wider. My present car fits fine, but I can not open the car door far enough to get out. So, the car sits on the drive while the garage gets used as storage, as it does for every other household in my street.

Others seem to wash their cars on a frequent or regular basis. I however find that "organised showers" do a pretty good job.

And worst of all are hulking great monster 4x4's SUV's reeling about all over shop, blocking the views, coming at you in the middle of the road, too wide for parking lots and often hogging two, usually only occupied by one lonely little person 'the driver' trying to get themselves noticed. The the ones with heavily tinted windows are extra dodgy, avoid. sad.png

I have recently downgraded from a Toyota Landcruiser Troop Carrier to a smaller SUV and boy is it different kettle of fish being here with the common people.

No respect shown anymore !

Sign in to follow this