Where has all the unthusiam gone, is the heart of preservation now dead?

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

I notice you did not sell Barnett for "pennies" to ensure its preservation. I don't suppose in all reality you could afford to let it go for less than its true value.

No I sold at a sensible market value which was representative of the value of a work boat at that time. I am thankful I did sell it then and not hang on as the price today would be probably lower than we achieved. As the boat had just been extensively docked due to the CRT "promises" it represented a good buy to a prospective purchaser who wanted a work boat of her type.

It has shocked me over the last year to see some of the craft changing hands at prices which do not reflect the work undertaken.

Conserving / preserving a wooden wide boat may not nowadays mean full restoration. Parts could be conserved along with a 3d scan of the remains which would give insight into how these boats were built. If you rebuild to what you think is the original without any drawings then you just get a presentation, ie like "Raymond". Conserving original parts even if incomplete gives a much better feel to the what the builder had in mind.

I aways belive a plank by plank is a better way you keep the old shape but can do a total rebuild yes it takes a little longer but as above you dont loose the shape or the history.

At the same time most old wooden boats will have had nearly every plank even some cabins replaced.

My point it i think its better to remove 1 part and replace it at a time e.g. plank by plank than just take it all apart mesure it and just use what you can but most of it be new.

And yes i agree plank by plank would be restoration rather than rebuild.

There are some lovely looking wooden boats out there but over time i wonder how many have lost the build day looks.

Mables forget-me-not is a good example (im not saying its a bad job or not the correct way to do things so not saying it was wrong just using her as an example)

Well actually Ian Allan did - I've got one somewhere, never seen another though!

There were also the Robert Wilson books, which though containing some errors and omissions were very handy.

Tam

At least there was never a G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. boat named EDGEWARE, only one that was lettered incorrectly as such a few years ago captain.gif

Did I dream this or did I once see a boat painted

G.U.C.C.C Co. ?

NB I was born in Edgware.

Edited by mark99

I would have thought that the interest is still there but in these times of improved skills, the technology and finances are there for reproduction craft preserving the design with modern crafted vessels.

It would be nice to dig out craft from their resting places, but at this stage are they restorable, and if so how long for?

I am not trying to start a Narrow Boat Trust Ltd. bashing session but I think having Co. / Company twice on the cabin side looks odd, and I did not think Co. was a part of their title either captain.gif

Trevor-diamonds-22-04-11(DD.jpg

Dosnt roll off the tongue very well

smiley_offtopic.gif Perhaps it doesn't look right but hope we never see the term "logistics" on a narrowboat.

Planning, execution, and control of the procurement, movement, and stationing of personnel, material, and other resources to achieve the objectives of a campaign, plan, project, or strategy. It may be defined as the 'management of inventory in motion and at rest.'

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/logistics.html#ixzz47CGP7TvI

Wouldn't "Canal Logs and Sticks" be more apt?

wacko.png I can't answer - I've been served a writ by the coat faerie for taking my humour out of the unStable Bar blink.png

On a more serious note, we are losing heritage all the time, which doesn't mean we should just stand by and watch it happen. It's also generally true the buildings and structure fair better than vessels and vehicles. Boats in particular have been with us a lot longer than cars, trucks, buses and aeroplanes*, and we have lost a lot more of the older stuff. I have a book on my shelves "boats of the somerset levels", the pictures are generally of scenes up to 100 years ago, and most of the boats in it now exist only in pictures, which will survive, and the memories of old river men, which will not last much longer.

Without some assistance, the Chard canal is going to go the same way, as will other South West Waterways that are no longer in use

*I'm disappointed my spell checker doesn't know "aeroplane"!

Edited by magpie patrick

The heart of presevation is not dead here at Calvacade today with both side's of the pool full

I don't call a gathering like that "preservation" in any sense.

Laurence these postcards are for sale on eBay at the moment. What are the fundamental differences if any of these boats to the southern wide boats. Thanks

Darren

When we measured the last known survivor for making a museum model there were a few things noted. As you can see they have wooden "heads" on the fore end, similar to what "Severners" had, also there was a gangway round the cabin side. I don't think much else differs except down south many hull variations could be found, particulary with beam as this dictated how far a boat could go.

I don't call a gathering like that "preservation" in any sense.

When we measured the last known survivor for making a museum model there were a few things noted. As you can see they have wooden "heads" on the fore end, similar to what "Severners" had, also there was a gangway round the cabin side. I don't think much else differs except down south many hull variations could be found, particulary with beam as this dictated how far a boat could go.

One further difference is that they were only 68 feet long to suit the MB&BC locks.