Painting a bargepole

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I thought I'd better paint my 2 year old pine bargepole before it starts rotting away. I've started with 2 coats of primer and one undercoat, it's now time to think about the top layer. My boat is green and red with white stripes, I have supplies of all 3 colours. Rather than just painting it one colour I thought I made spend a bit of time making it look nicer, by using all 3 colours.

I've seen one or two done with some kind of spiral design but I've no idea where to start with that. Otherwise I was thinking of painting the whole thing one colour then overpainting sections in the other colours, using low tack masking tape.

Any hints or tips?

Thanks.

I would take up Mr Moore's kind offer, after all he's a pro.

Being a ham-fisted amateur, having undercoated like you, I section the pole into 3ft lengths and painted alternate colours.

(This means you can use the pole for checking depth should you wish)

I then used 'gripper tape' to cover the joins, making use of the pole a little easier.

Mind you, mine is getting ready to be repainted this summer.

Rog

Its always been recommended that you should never paint a hammer stale as it makes easier to check for dangerous cracks.

Considering the forces that are placed on a boat pole perhaps a similar no paint policy should also apply?

Many years ago I replaced the hammer stales on a couple of railway key hammers. Instead of painting the whole shaft, I treated them with oil to keep them supple. and painted the last couple inches of the stale with day-glo paint so that they could be seen easily amongst the rails.

Perhaps a similar approach might be suitable for a boat pole? Although day-glo might a bit much!

If the long shaft is too ornately painted, you'll be disinclined to use it!

I've always been convinced that these poles should come in a "in an emergency, break glass to open" type case on the roof of the boat - this would stop the hapless numpties balancing on the roof of their boat like The Great Valerio as their boat digs itself ever deeper into the mud whilst their engine threshes what little water is left under their transom like a piranha feeding frenzy

If the long shaft is too ornately painted, you'll be disinclined to use it!

My two (20' and 16' aluminium poles) are both painted plainly, so they can be used without worrying.

Yes. Our wooden poles are just painted with red oxide gloss. Inevitably it wears off in use, particularly at the ends, but it just gets a quick rub down and repaint from time to time.

Of course you could go to the other extreme, like mark99:

20141117_134451_zps80dxzuxw.jpg

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=60371&p=1511056

There is much guidance for painting a narrow boat here including how to "stripe" a pole or swans neck for that matter;

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/From-Stem-to-Stern-Hill-John-M-Paperback-Book-/272198719415?hash=item3f604ed7b7:g:FxoAAOSwZ8ZXAW88

He has also produced a version for leisure craft as well.

ETA to protect the ends of our pole I have "heat shrunk" some plastic water pipe on to it.

Edited by Ray T

There is much guidance for painting a narrow boat here including how to "stripe" a pole or swans neck for that matter;

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/From-Stem-to-Stern-Hill-John-M-Paperback-Book-/272198719415?hash=item3f604ed7b7:g:FxoAAOSwZ8ZXAW88

He has also produced a version for leisure craft as well.

ETA to protect the ends of our pole I have "heat shrunk" some plastic water pipe on to it.

attachicon.gifdscf5103b.jpg

How did you get away with using the ironing board, I know what my other half would say if she found a pole on the ironing board.

How did you get away with using the ironing board, I know what my other half would say if she found a pole on the ironing board.

Well as Mrs T still works part time I am effectively a "house husband", so the ironing board is my domain!

Also she is a very understanding wife realising a (insert what ever boy's toy you want here) is never finished. smile.png

whilst we are on the subject of barge poles,where is a good place to buy one from and what length do you recommend.

many thanks

Don't know about anyone else but all of my boats have had them but I've never had to use them ever.

Darren

whilst we are on the subject of barge poles,where is a good place to buy one from and what length do you recommend.

many thanks

Midland Chandlers have Ash boat poles 12 ft long. 14 ft or 16 ft is better, but I don't know anyone who can supply them.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1543/product/e230.aspx

Just as a variation on a couple of the previous suggestions, check how deep your boat sits in the water. Just take one of those flexible tape measures and hook the end under the edge of the baseplate - that will tell you how much you draw. Check at bow and stern. Now paint a line at that measurement on both ends of your pole. Stick it in the water when you are deciding where to moor and you've got an instant assessment of whether the water is deep enough.

Brinklow Boat Services and Rose Narrowboats both stock longer shafts than Midland Swindlers. I think 14' and 16' are available. Ours are 16', useful for manouvering in tight situations rather than the white water rafting, engine roaring, employed by some boaters. Barge poles my bottom....they are shafts!

Dave

• Greenie 1

Brinklow Boat Services and Rose Narrowboats both stock longer shafts than Midland Swindlers. I think 14' and 16' are available. Ours are 16', useful for maneuvering in tight situations rather than the white water rafting, engine roaring, employed by some boaters. Barge poles my bottom....they are shafts!

Dave

I don't think I'd like a barge pole any where near my bottom either or be shafted for that matter. laugh.png

Edited by Ray T