Max Sinclair

max's son

Featured Posts

I hope this is the correct place to post this?

I am saddened to inform you that my father Max Sinclair passed away yesterday after a short period in hospital.

Many of you may know him for spearheading the restoration of the Droitwich Canals, starting back in the late 50's when he mentioned it to David Hutchings, who told him to get on with it and also his part in saving many historic boats

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Although I never knew your father beyond his postings on here, he is someone who is of course legendary in his love of canals and canal boats.

My best wishes to your family at this time.

I hope this is the correct place to post this?

I am saddened to inform you that my father Max Sinclair passed away yesterday after a short period in hospital.

Many of you may know him for spearheading the restoration of the Droitwich Canals, starting back in the late 50's when he mentioned it to David Hutchings, who told him to get on with it and also his part in saving many historic boats

Like others, I did not know your father, but I send my condolences. But it must be very satisfying to know that the Droitwich canal is up and running and a tribute to his efforts.

Oh dear very sad news, my condolences to the family.

Max Sinclair like others are true heroes of the Inland Waterways. He will be remembered for sure not least for the dogged determination to achieve the goal of Droitwich restoration when so many others said it would never happen.

Such was the depth and breadth of the man he his is equally in many peoples view a hero of railway preservation too. Many narrow gauge locomotives exist now because he rescued them and gave them a new life, some 9 locos at least with a hand in the saving of others too.

A lesson to us all, don't talk about it, just do it!

Edited by churchward

Sounds like the man deserves a plaque - on the Droitwich.

Renaming one of the (new) locks on the Junction would be a suitable tribute, perhaps?

Very sad to hear the news. Max was such a kind person and had a light-hearted sparkle to him.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

Renaming one of the (new) locks on the Junction would be a suitable tribute, perhaps?

Very sad to hear the news. Max was such a kind person and had a light-hearted sparkle to him.

I would certainly second that .......... the lock I mean.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, my condolences to you and your family.

I wrote to him not long ago as I had come accross some photos of a boat that he persuaded my father (Eric Pike) to buy in the 60's. (They were colleagues at Rubery Owen). Have a look, your father and at least 2 of your sisters are pictured as well as my mother and father. The thread is here http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=83709

Finding these pics made me realise that I have your father to thank for my own interest in canals and boats, and I am sure many other hundreds if not thousands of people also owe him that gratitude. I remember meeting Max as an 8 year old boy on a school trip to Avoncroft museum. I can still remember his enthusiasm for the post mill there, and I still remember very clearly him telling us that it was the only working example left in the country, such was the passion with which he spoke. A great loss but what a contribution he made.

All the best

Dave Pike