Lister JP3 stationary water pump

Kristian

Featured Posts

Ok my Lister JP3 has the same water pump as fitted below to the same engine, my question is, if using a small pump would water be able to flow around the engine circuit without the engine running......ie would it be able to flow through the engines own water pump ok.......Thanks....

IMG_2405.jpg

You would need significant pressure to force much water past the flappy vanes (technical term) on the impeller.

If you want to get water to flow through the circuit when the pump is not running, just put a non-return valve in parallel with the pump. This technique is widely used in systems with multiple pumps in series.

Chris G

That's a Hudson installation to an industrial JP2 although a JP3 would likely be the same. Generally the Johnson vane impeller pump he fitted wouldn't allow coolant to pass when stationary. It would depend on direction of flow and where the vanes stopped so not predictable. Forced pressure might even damage them.

It would help though if you explained why you would want to run a second pump when engine not running, since there may be a better solution.

Edited by by'eck

Ok point taken....heres why....my boat has a Kobola boiler which during winter is great....but a pain during summer if I need hot water as I must light the Kobola just to get hot water.......so how about a Webasto in the engine circuit to provide hot water.....added advantage warm engine starting and no chance of a frozen engine during winter......so would the Webasto circulation pump be able to work in the engine circuit? Thanks.....

How about putting it parallel to the engine instead of in series with it

The Webasto pump won't pump through the Jabsco. it will just stop flowing

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I can't imagine a better way to waste fuel in the winter than to make hot water and pump it through a ton of frigid cast iron connected to the hull.

It will not be hot any more when it comes out of the other side!

I can't imagine a better way to waste fuel in the winter than to make hot water and pump it through a ton of frigid cast iron connected to the hull.

It will not be hot any more when it comes out of the other side!

Hmmm, JP3 as a storage heater

Richard

How about putting it parallel to the engine instead of in series with it

The Webasto pump won't pump through the Jabsco. it will just stop flowing

Richard

We did think of that, but due to the small surface area in the system the webasto would cycle and maybe coke up prematurely...adding the engine was advised to increase the amount of water and thus bring down the cycle rate....

We did think of that, but due to the small surface area in the system the webasto would cycle and maybe coke up prematurely...adding the engine was advised to increase the amount of water and thus bring down the cycle rate....

Erm, this doesn't seem to be making any sense. It sounds like you want an instant hot water heater

Richard

Not instant, but after an hour or so...Fitting a Webasto and not a gas boiler would be less hassle...

Do you not have any radiators to heat the boat? They should provide enough heat dump to stop the Webasto/Eberspacher/Mikuni cycling too regularly. Bit more of an issue in the summer but leaving a heated towel rail as well as the calorifier heating coil in the circuit should add enough load. You will need a calorifier with two coils though assuming you want engine water heating as well.

Make sure you don't fit an oversize heater for the load. You want it running flat out for as long as possible. Even starting with a cold tank you should have enough water for a shower in 30 minutes or so.

Just my opinion but would stay well away from adding engine coolant circuit to your heater system, particularly yours with that pump