Whose lock is it?

Witchword

Featured Posts

One would be one too much.

Would 0 be acceptable though? That's the question in hand. In fact, I can't see how its less safe. The boats combined are 14' wide and the lock is a little wider. If separate, the 2nd boat is 7' wide and the gap is a little wider. What's the difference?

Would 0 be acceptable though? That's the question in hand. In fact, I can't see how its less safe. The boats combined are 14' wide and the lock is a little wider. If separate, the 2nd boat is 7' wide and the gap is a little wider. What's the difference?

Its what they were designed for otherwise they would have been 7 ft by 144 ft so you could just tow the butty in and out behind the motor

If both boats get jammed with the gates not opening correctly then it is dangerous.

If both boats get jammed with the gates not opening correctly then it is dangerous.

Yeah but the angle the gates (and their balance beams) are at, gives a very clear indication that the gates are fully open (or not). Nobody is suggesting to drive into a gap smaller than the boats, you're right to do it one-by-one in that particular situation.

One of my sports on the GU is that if a boat is taking a long time to leave the lock and the opposite gate is open I just enter the lock whilst they are stil in it, my bow wave assists them in leaving the lock ;)

DLW has realised my game and now holds the gate shut to spoil my "sport"

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 2

One of my sports on the GU is that if a boat is taking a long time to leave the lock and the opposite gate is open I just enter the lock whilst they are stil in it, my bow wave assists them in leaving the lock wink.png

I have been known to do the same. But it does sometimes put the wind up the other fella when a Big Woolwich bows comes in alongside!

One of my sports on the GU is that if a boat is taking a long time to leave the lock and the opposite gate is open I just enter the lock whilst they are stil in it, my bow wave assists them in leaving the lock wink.png

Sounds like a good game. Is the other boat allowed to employ blocking manoeuvers?

I have been known to do the same. But it does sometimes put the wind up the other fella when a Big Woolwich bows comes in alongside!

I nave done the same. Particularly where high winds made keeping station in the pound difficult. On one occasion the boater going the other way got very irate and preferred to argue rather than move his boat. Very red in face he demanded that I reverse out, "Why?" I asked. Meanwhile the crew of the boat behind me had arrived and seeing two boats in the lock, shut the gates and the crew of the pair of boats behind him opened the paddles. "That's bluddy why" he shouted as our boats started rising in the lock. As I steamed out of top gates his face had turned puce as he argued with the crew of the brested up pair who wanted him to reverse out as they had already lost time waiting for him going down already! I did feel a bit guilty, as my wife, (who had been told by the crew of the brested pair that they would handle the lock, and she could go on to the next one)told me she had talked to him a she passed and he had told her that because of the wind, he was going to wait in the lock until his wife phoned to say the next lock was nearly set. Later, I consoled myself by considering that it was entirely the fault of the 'argumentative git' by being so argumentative and inconsiderate to other boaters,

• 3 weeks later...

He should have processed slowly or he could have waited on the mooring next to the lock till he got the phone call rather than holding them up.

I often find people dont wanna spend time with a bolinder after 2 locks and let me go on.

I do often find myself catching people from lock to lock.

Being on my own helps as people feel sorry for you.