Who lives in a house (boat) like this?

Frog Man

Featured Posts

I'm thinking you already had your mind set on this boat when you posted, you posted earlier about boats with outboard engines.

That's right, I did. I'm really just thinking about a boat around this sort of size, not necessarily this particular one. :-) clearly it could benefit from some modifications...

A bloke on the K&A lives in a short of floating shed quite a bit shorter than this, no engine at all, he moves it along with a pole, or rather a branch from a tree. He always looks happy when we pass, and survived the winter very easily.

Its all about what level of comfort you want.

..............Dave

Agreed, got a friend who lives on a Springer waterbug, (also has an outboard) for at least 6 years, she only burns wood, she has a huge solar panel on the roof which provides all of the electricty she needs. She does have a Honda genny but I've only ever seen her use it for powering tools. It totally depends on your personal needs. There are at least a dozen boats moored near me on the towpath side with similar arrangements. The OP needs to think about what he will need onboard to make him happy. Some people need all the toys, some people are happy with very little, most of us somewhere in the middle. If your electricity needs are little, you could just fit a big solar array.

I moved a 31ft Mike Heywood boat called Schilling which you could easily live aboard on.

He did 3 the same size and managed to fit berths for 4, wet room, solid fuel stove and proper kitchen and full size bed with a tug deck front.

It opened my eyes on what was possible to fit into a boat this length and still be an enjoyable fun motor.

Shilling and Isadora are sisters.

Who the third one?

Edited by 8 Hairy Feet

Agreed, got a friend who lives on a Springer waterbug, (also has an outboard) for at least 6 years, she only burns wood, she has a huge solar panel on the roof which provides all of the electricty she needs. She does have a Honda genny but I've only ever seen her use it for powering tools. It totally depends on your personal needs. There are at least a dozen boats moored near me on the towpath side with similar arrangements. The OP needs to think about what he will need onboard to make him happy. Some people need all the toys, some people are happy with very little, most of us somewhere in the middle. If your electricity needs are little, you could just fit a big solar array.

Well I like to think I'm quite frugal, not much of a telly addict, NEVER been into xboxes / playstations or things like that. I am quite happy with a radio and a few books.

*Creatute comforts would be my phone and tablet...

Well I like to think I'm quite frugal, not much of a telly addict, NEVER been into xboxes / playstations or things like that. I am quite happy with a radio and a few books.

I believe that an X-Box is a quite compact tool. Your real problem would be if you wanted to set up an 00 gauge railway layout on board.

Looking at that link, there are only two layouts with inboards.

One is 24ft and one is 26ft. I think they can modify the layouts tho, because the layout on one I first posted looks to be a variation of the ones pictured.

No, there are more layouts with inboard motors, you just have to scroll down a bit and some are pictured as outboard but it says inboard also available. They also offer bespoke layouts...

I think a lot will depend on how you live- are you someone who's out a lot, or a homebird? Do you enjoy cooking? Do you anticipate having guests? Will it definitely be just you, or is there the possibility of someone else sharing with you? Will you want somewhere to take off muddy boots and wet coats before coming right into the living space? Will you mind if you have to set up the bed each night? Do you have tools, paint, hobby materials or anything like that which will need its own storage/usage space?

There you go then. You might get on absolutely fine in a small boat relying mainly on solar power, at least outside of the winter months, assuming the lack of space itself didn't bother you. (I mean in terms of the feeling of being confined, rather than in terms of not having room to store this or do that.) Witchword is right about the sort of questions you need to be asking yourself.

There you go then. You might get on absolutely fine in a small boat relying mainly on solar power, at least outside of the winter months, assuming the lack of space itself didn't bother you. (I mean in terms of the feeling of being confined, rather than in terms of not having room to store this or do that.) Witchword is right about the sort of questions you need to be asking yourself.

I guess I'm somewhat in the middle really, I wouldnt want to feel entombed but then again I wouldnt need more space than necessary.

Just one point, when you say about the winter months (and remember my lack of experience) I assume electrical power is provided by batterys charged by the engine during this time, and failing that a generator would be needed? :-/

Just one point, when you say about the winter months (and remember my lack of experience) I assume electrical power is provided by batterys charged by the engine during this time, and failing that a generator would be needed? :-/

Generally, yes. But if you choose to moor in a marina, mains power may be available beside, or near, your berth.

my in laws have lived comfortably for years on a 40foot trad with a seperate Engine room that takes up about 10foot of it , so they are living in 30feet minus the cratch area ( another 2-3 feet ... It works if the boat is well thought out internally , I would have thought 1 person could live on a 27foot fine as long as its fitted out with care .

I guess I'm somewhat in the middle really, I wouldnt want to feel entombed but then again I wouldnt need more space than necessary.

Realistically, yes. I believe the rule of thumb with solar panels is that you normally get the equivalent of 4 to 5 hours' "full power" per day in summer (e.g. 400-500Wh from a 100W panel) but only around one hour's worth in winter (e.g. 100Wh from a 100W panel). So you need to make up the difference somehow, and using your engine and/or a generator is the most reliable, tried and tested option.

In theory, you could use a wind power generator, but these don't have a great reputation for real-world practicality. You can also now buy Thermoelectric Generators that sit on top of your stove and generate power while it's lit, which might be most of the time in winter; in theory this would be a very clever way to fill the gap left by solar panels, but they're fairly new to the market and the jury seems to be out on whether they actually do the job.

Edited by magictime

my in laws have lived comfortably for years on a 40foot trad with a seperate Engine room that takes up about 10foot of it , so they are living in 30feet minus the cratch area ( another 2-3 feet ... It works if the boat is well thought out internally , I would have thought 1 person could live on a 27foot fine as long as its fitted out with care .

I think that is the crux of the matter. If you are going to fit out yourself and are prepared to be inventive, the amount that can be packed into a very small boat is amazing. (I have already mentioned my little narrow beam cruiser) that has been referred to in our boatyard as the "Tardis" because of the very clever design.

It is necessary to trim your possessions down to the basic minimum as well.

I know it would be beyond me to live on a small boat.....my tools alone take a lot of space ................apart from all the stuff I keep because.

"I'm sure it will come in useful someday"

edit phat phingres

Edited by John V

I live on a 27ft Centre cockpit cruiser, power is all solar (alternator stopped working in winter and I haven't got round to fixing it yet). There's more than enough room for me on my own, and it wasn't unbearable when living with my ex mrs and her border collie!

Yes I would like to upgrade to a bigger boat eventually, but this is perfectly adequate to live on!

This is only slightly shorter than the back cabin of a working boat in which a family would live. I lived in a back cabin for several years and I was very comfortable, the lack of space helping to focus the mind on what possessions are important and what are not.

By comparison the dimensions you list above appear palatial captain.gif

This is entirely true, and I can think of other people who, at the moment, live in back cabins year round.

I could only do it if I were boating full time, I think. If I tried to live on my mooring in a space that size, I would get cabin fever quickly. Whereas being out and about, boating through open space all day, and tying up and going to the pub with friends, or to the pictures after a fish and chip supper, on a "day off" doing the washing on the towpath, gives you much more of a sense of freedom.

I suppose the best way to enjoy back cabin life is to spend as little time as possible cooped up (an oblique reference to The Bargee there) in it, and the maximum time out of it, boating.

I believe that an X-Box is a quite compact tool. Your real problem would be if you wanted to set up an 00 gauge railway layout on board.

No you are wrong, although N gauge might be better I reckon OO would work quite well as a single track under the "gunnel" with a passing loop on the dining table. O gauge would be harder.

................Dave

How about 5" gauge or gauge 1? http://www.stationroadsteam.co.uk/stock%20pages/6581/index.htm

The verbage says: 'I collected this one from its builder, a man still modelling prolifically although now in gauge 1 - less a concession to age, more to living and working on a narrow boat (which he built himself and in which this locomotive has been on display for many years).'

Once had the pleasure of meeting a lovely lady called Jan.. her boat was 20 something foot long and had a full size bath!

...in which she slept?

DMR and Vic, thanks for those contributions. I don't think that Mrs. Athy would be impressed if I got all my 009/ HOe stuff out of storage and started running it around the inside of the boat, but your posts are examples of what can be done with care and imagination.

Edited by Athy

...in which she slept?

DMR and Vic, thanks for those contributions. I don't think that Mrs. Athy would be impressed if I got all my 009/ HOe stuff out of storage and started running it around the inside of the boat, but your posts are examples of what can be done with care and imagination.

"Oi! Slow down to tickover! You've derailed the 08:17!" Edited by FadeToScarlet

Frog Man, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to live in the small type of boat that you're interested in. If you want inspiration, google 'van living' or something similar. There are loads of people living in places that make a moderate sized narrowboat look palatial. As others here have said, it all depends on what you expect of life and whether or not you can live without many of the things people (and even canal folk) take for granted.

Even if you only do this for a few years it will have been an adventure - and what else is life for!

Oh.., also, look into the sea going fraternity of boaters. There are many people who cruise continually in craft smaller than many narrow boats, and they do it out in the open seas so their facilities are far, far less.

Edited by sal garfi