Laundry liquid in toilet

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

We plucked up the courage not to add anything to the pump out tank when we bought our current boat, and for the first time ever have a smell free toilet.

Edited to say it is a macerator type with remote tank, not a dump through.

Edited by cuthound

We have a cassette and I've tried just about all the bio detergents over the last 3 years. Conclusion is that ones that are white don't work as well as the green coloured ones, best by a long way is Asda Smart Price Bio washing liquid. Use twice the amount you would for washing (2 caps) and it all works tickety boo.

ETA when we had pump out (before the tank developed a hole) we added nothing but then I am a real ale drinking vegetarian; )

Edited by Loddon

Sorry - brain, not typing malfunction. I meant to say "lengthened"!

Is that because you don't wee so often then. When our tank is full we empty it, we then start to fill it agin until the next time, the capacity is the same regardless of soap

No, I meant that because the granules break down the solid contents, the tank doesn't fill so quickly. I accept that science & logic would dictate otherwise, but that's how it seems to me!

JJay, on 18 Apr 2016 - 7:23 PM, said:

No, I meant that because the granules break down the solid contents, the tank doesn't fill so quickly. I accept that science & logic would dictate otherwise, but that's how it seems to me!

Well, that's at variance with the-Greek-in-a-bath's-observation......

Interesting had 2 pumps in last 3 weeks and every time we flush it's a case of evacuate boat .... never had this problem before so not sure if lack of blue or another more serious problem! Never heard of using washing liquid ...is this a a more 'perfumed' version of blue or are there other advantages?

tagulablue, on 18 Apr 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

Interesting had 2 pumps in last 3 weeks and every time we flush it's a case of evacuate boat .... never had this problem before so not sure if lack of blue or another more serious problem! Never heard of using washing liquid ...is this a a more 'perfumed' version of blue or are there other advantages?

Back in the days when we started nobody ever used Blue in a pump out tank (to dose it correctly takes a lot of Blue) - now it seems to be the norm.

My marina had a reed bed filter which was totally destroyed because folks started using blue - even though asked not to.

Now visitors have to pay £25 for a pumpout....

OTOH one yard will only pump you it if you DO use blue.....

I'm wondering whether folks don't do a proper rinse out?

As most facilities give you 12 minutes - long enough to pump out both our tanks TWICE, I'm going to try filling up the tanks to the top with fresh water. Pumping them out and repeating the process. I'm convinced that the 'small' amount of residue always left in the tanks has something to do with the pong.

Comments??

This is a bit random but I have a small aquarium aerator blowing into the top of my tank, I turn this on during the day and off at night (the tank is under the bed) As the air in the headspace of the tank is being contantly vented there is no opportunity for smelly air to accumulate in the headspace or in the flexible Leesan pipes. Result no smell from the tank and no smell from the vent when we flush.

Simple solution with no chemicals.

Solved our smelly problem...last 4 pumps had been on 9 minute token operated pump out....took it into another boatyard which had no time limit and the guy did a brilliant job for us...emptied and rinsed 5 or 6 times... we all live to breath another day!