Day hire boats

Timx

Featured Posts

Currently on Llangollen canal, in the week I have been here, have twice been hit by a day boat, First was a side swipe,boat going as fast as it could, whilst I was moored, second was today by an anglowelsh boat again, head on this time, the boat had been going apparently too fast around a corner and went into the port side when it saw me, but then moved off just as I was approaching, and it went to starboard, I adjusted for it, then when about twenty feet off it, went to its left again straight on and hit me hard'',sorry'' the boy said, the boat was packed with lots of people drinking,and lots were laughing after the collision. about half one this afternoon, I wont be back on the Llangollen for a long time, as its used too much by day boats now, so in the summer, will probably get worse. Even the marina advised me not to come back in the summer. wow Day boats should be banned in my opinion as they seem to be used as a booze cruise, with not much penalty.No harm was done to my boat that I can see, Sure people will disagree but that's my opinion, no chance of it happening, but hey ho.

We've had friends who have had days out on day boats and have had wonderful days out and behaved impeccably - there was no way they could afford to hire for any longer period, In any walk of life folks take the micky - does everyone have to be tarred with the same brush? Surely this thread should be about one group of folks rather than a generic group?

Edited by Ange

Currently on Llangollen canal, in the week I have been here, have twice been hit by a day boat, First was a side swipe,boat going as fast as it could, whilst I was moored, second was today by an anglowelsh boat again, head on this time, the boat had been going apparently too fast around a corner and went into the port side when it saw me, but then moved off just as I was approaching, and it went to starboard, I adjusted for it, then when about twenty feet off it, went to its left again straight on and hit me hard'',sorry'' the boy said, the boat was packed with lots of people drinking,and lots were laughing after the collision. about half one this afternoon, I wont be back on the Llangollen for a long time, as its used too much by day boats now, so in the summer, will probably get worse. Even the marina advised me not to come back in the summer. wow Day boats should be banned in my opinion as they seem to be used as a booze cruise, with not much penalty.No harm was done to my boat that I can see, Sure people will disagree but that's my opinion, no chance of it happening, but hey ho.

To address the specific point - yes there are lots of booze cruises on day boats;. Yes they are a bit of a pain sometimes. But absolutely not to banning day boats - I've a cousin who cruised with us back in 2009, fell in love with the experience but has only been able to afford day boat since for her and her family.

We've lived on the canals since 2009, spent some of that time on the LLangollen, we've been bumped against a few times, had party boats pull out pins out and absolutely 100% enjoyed the experience and were laughing when we were getting the boat back to the bank and pinning it down in our nightclothes,

There are a diverse group of people who enjoy the canals with varying budgets. Long may it continuej.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

Personally I think the hire companies should take more responsibility and not allow crates of alcohol, which you often see, to be taken on board. Perhaps a large deposit should be taken and only refunded if no complaints received after 24hrs. Maybe limiters on the throttle as well to stop the going as fast as you can.

Before we owned our own boat we hired a day boat as a family, we turned up and said we knew what we were doing and that was that, we were sent on our way.

Personally I think the hire companies should take more responsibility and not allow crates of alcohol, which you often see, to be taken on board. Perhaps a large deposit and only refunded if no complaints received after 24hrsge deposit should be taken . Maybe limiters on the throttle as well to stop the going as fast as you can.

Before we owned our own boat we hired a day boat as a family, we turned up and said we knew what we were doing and that was that, we were sent on our way.

A few years ago now we watched 5 young men leave Braunston on a UCC day boat. We followed them to the Oxford Junction where 5 more men and crates of beer were loaded. I'm not sure how you would stop that?

Anyway, were moored up just beyond Wolfhapcote and later in the day the boat came back, the occupants decidedly worse for wear and the boat was being steered very erratically.

One major issue here, if the boat was carrying more passengers than stipulated, would the insurance be invalidated?

I did hear later via the towpath telegraph that several other boaters had reported them for various misdemeanours and their deposit was forfeit.

Edited by Ray T

• 4 weeks later...

Over the years, I've had a few problems with the convoy of day boats that come out of Trevor, heading en mass for the Poachers Pocket, including one unlit one in Chirk tunnel, however today they seemed to be family days out and impeccably behaved, so no complaints. The only real problem was an overly cautious shiny private boat who was probably more at home on a broad, straight canal, like the shroppy. Poor boaters come in all shapes, I suppose, and it isn't all about inexperience, drink and excess speed.

I was always curious about just how many they cram into a day boat. Back in the day when I had a Time Share with Canaltime (long story, bad moveunsure.png ) they were quite insistent that no more than 6 people were supposed to be on their 50 foot boat and yet when you Hire 'Foxy' from Foxton Boat Services they allow 12 on a 30 footer. I chose Foxton Boat Services as an example since the crew that we followed into Market Harbourough a while back were not what you'd want to meet anywhere; at least a dozen of them (possibly more) drunk,not in control of the boat loud, loud music and throwing cans into the canal and back gardens of canalside properties. Since about six of the idiots were sitting on one side of the roof of the boat giving it a significant list, I rather hoped that the boat would turn turtle, no such luckmad.gif

From a poem in the historic boat club mag several issues ago.....

" The tiny day boat sallies forth,

He cuts a gallant dash

With kids and dogs and Granny

But he makes a breaking wash "

Dave

Shocking bit of rhyming there

I like day boats. They are always full of people having an absolutely amazing time on the cut

Richard

I was always curious about just how many they cram into a day boat. Back in the day when I had a Time Share with Canaltime (long story, bad moveunsure.png ) they were quite insistent that no more than 6 people were supposed to be on their 50 foot boat and yet when you Hire 'Foxy' from Foxton Boat Services they allow 12 on a 30 footer. I chose Foxton Boat Services as an example since the crew that we followed into Market Harbourough a while back were not what you'd want to meet anywhere; at least a dozen of them (possibly more) drunk,not in control of the boat loud, loud music and throwing cans into the canal and back gardens of canalside properties. Since about six of the idiots were sitting on one side of the roof of the boat giving it a significant list, I rather hoped that the boat would turn turtle, no such luckmad.gif

12, but that is only when they set off, who knows how many get on at the next bridge.

Currently moored a short distance from MK marina - the home base for 2 quite popular day boats. Dave had to lean out of the side hatch yesterday and give instructions so the boat load of ladies could get themselves out of the pickle they managed to get themselves into...sideways across the cut with the back end "just about" up against ours. They were very polite, and apologetic and we all had a good laugh about it - no harm done.

Not saying they don't exist, but we've found the majority to be happy, jolly and give us a good laugh, more so than some of the private owners can be IMO :)

• Greenie 1

Not all are that bad we hired one last year for a few days over the summer holidays on the Gloucester sharpness canal, which it peed it down big time we still had fun took it slow and no booze was consumed though lots off bacon buttys was eaten though.

The downside it cost us a lot off money after we ended up buying a 57fter.

Hire one of Fox's two dayboats from March Marina. You can zigzag around just about as much as you like and make just about as much row as you like, because most of the time on the Middle Level there will be no one else within earshot!

But, one and sometimes both of these boats go(es) past our garden every day, and I have yet to see anything resembling reproachful behaviour. It's normally just family or friend groups having a good time - and this despite the fact that crews are encouraged to go to an Outwell pub for their lunch. A week or so ago we helped one boat turn round in a rather tight spot, but not because they were pissed, they were simply novices, and they were as polite and grateful as could be.

They do bring in revenue for the canals but they are a right pain. It seems to me that CRT know there is more money in hire boating be it a week or a day than in liveaboards. But the canals without the unique liveaboard community would truly be a sad sight.

Wrong.

A small minority are a pain, the rest are small family groups having a nice day out on the canals, and causing no problems to anyone.

Ha mine was late Aug 15 day boat hire for a few days Sept 15 went out and bought a boat. It was a great experience.

1st experience day boat (set kitchen on fire and tiny bump with man who new lots of swear words) then 5 days from todmorden now cc in 53' .

I once helped a confused day boat crew from Norbury Junction, attempting to wind at High Onn. Boy, was that boat crap to steer! No wonder they couldn't make it 'work'. Full rudder put a total block on the prop wash to all directions at once!

The drunks though, they can now be 'done' for being in charge of a drunken boat, can't they?

I once helped a confused day boat crew from Norbury Junction, attempting to wind at High Onn. Boy, was that boat crap to steer! No wonder they couldn't make it 'work'. Full rudder put a total block on the prop wash to all directions at once!

The drunks though, they can now be 'done' for being in charge of a drunken boat, can't they?

I don't think the law has changed

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/man-arrested-for-being-drunk-in-charge-of-a-boat-and-falling-into-a-canal-1-4119120

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/can-you-get-prosecuted-for-being-drunk-in-charge-of-a-canal-boat/2905896

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/1480083.boat_users_face_new_drinksail_rules/

From here: http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/ipb/topic/2453-drunk-in-charge/

Latest Update April 2005

It therefore appears unlikely that any new legislation to introduce breath tests for recreational boaters will come into force in the near term. Even if the Government do decide to legislate further, then there will be a further period of consultation. The RYA will continue to monitor the situation and will respond as appropriate.

The History of the Proposals

The Government now has the power to regulate alcohol limits and introduce a testing regime for private recreational boaters. The RYA is urging all recreational boaters, regardless of whether or not they own a boat and where they go afloat, to voice their opinions on which craft and to whom regulations should apply.

Part four of the Railways and Transport Safety Act, which achieved Royal Assent on the 10 th July 2003, introduced alcohol and drug legislation in respect of shipping. In particular it establishes alcohol limits and a testing regime for alcohol and drugs that will apply to mariners who are either professionals or non-professionals.

In the most extreme scenario, the new law would bring in the same alcohol limit (80mg/ 100ml of blood) we currently have on UK roads for all mariners. Penalties for offenders could range from fines to up to two years in jail.

If new regulations are introduced the Government is likely to exempt certain categories of recreational craft. In order to help decide which craft shall be exempted, whether or not the regulations shall only apply to the skipper of the craft and which marine officials will have the requisite powers to detain a vessel (pending the arrival of the police), the Department of Transport (DfT) has released a consultation paper.

The paper identifies 3 parameters by which the exceptions will be determined. These are power, size and location. Respondents are asked to comment on these and the extent to which they believe they should be used. The Act already excludes private recreational craft that are not underway.

The consultation paper also covers the detention of craft pending the arrival of police. This means that designated officials could stop and detain a recreational boater whilst waiting for the police to arrive and perform the breath test. There are obvious cost implications of these officials patrolling the waters and taking on the additional workload this responsibility creates, and the practical difficulties of detaining a vessel that may be some distance from land.

The RYA believes that adequate controls in the form of harbour byelaws and regulations are already in place to deal with any abuse of alcohol. We are not in favour of further legislation, which we think is unnecessary and potentially unenforceable. The RYA is not aware of any reliable or persuasive evidence to support the claim that being under the influence of alcohol on board a private recreational craft is a significant issue that has led to a large number of incidents. However, it is likely that the results of the consultation will be interpreted into additional legislation and this is why it is essential that as many boaters respond as possible, ensuring a fair outcome.

RYA position on the introduction of legislation regarding alcohol and boating

The RYA does not condone the excessive consumption of alcohol by the skipper of a boat whilst a vessel is underway but we do not believe it to be an issue that has led to a significant number of incidents.

Like most activities there are a small minority who behave irresponsibly on the water and further legislation will not stop them. However, no evidence has been collated to support the claim that being under the influence of alcohol whilst skippering a recreational boat is a widespread problem.

As a responsible organisation, with a strong safety ethos, were we to be shown a reliable body of evidence that showed this to be a significant issue, we would support reasonable means to address the problem.

The RYA strongly believes that the education of boaters rather than government legislation is a more effective solution. An integral part of our training courses is emphasis on the duty of care of the Skipper as the sole person in charge of the boat. The onus on the skipper increases with the size and performance capabilities of the boat of which they have command.

Edited by Ray T

Para 44 in this document says;

No person shall navigate any vessel on any canal or take any part in the navigation, mooring or handling of any vessel on the canal whilst under the influence of drink to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vessel.
That is in General Canal Bye-laws dated 1965