Removing paint from a roof (sandy stuff)

Featured Posts

Hi all,

A relatively boring post today i'm afraid.

I need to do something with our roof - when we first bought the boat I stripped the sides down to bare steel using a scraper and painted it up carefully and has been trouble free for 4 years. I couldn't do the roof since the paint seemed to have baked on so made do and having added some grit to some cream paint the roof looked pretty good.

I made two mistakes though. One was colouring it cream. The other was adding the grit.

The paint goes green after each winter due to the grit giving good surface area for stuff to grow and the cream paint makes it show up badly. So each year I scrub it down in spring and repaint it.

Last years paint job is flaking off in places and the roof is starting to look worse for wear.

I tried yesterday using a angle grinder and wire brush to prep for painting and didn't do a great job. I'm going to do it properly and take it back to steel.

I'm wondering what tool to use. I hate sanding and don't want to invest in a scabbler. I may be able to use a chisel in places to get rid of the paint but wondered about using one of these to get most of the stuff off:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tungsten-carbide-metal-grinding-disc-115x22mm/64298

48626.jpg

Looks pretty robust and wonder whether if used lightly it will cut through the paint layers enough that a scraper will finish the job? It says it can be used on bricks so I doubt the sand in the paint will affect it and looks sharp enough to slice through the paint.

If the underlyingpaint job is in good nick then hire a scabbler for the day and be done with the job in a few hours. If you have rust under the paint then a scraper will work quite well.

I gave used Flap Discs in my angle grinder to very good effect.

Phil

This is possible the best method to remove paint, Make sure you use a good face mask, not a cheap tatland job. Check the wind direction as well. Last thing you want do is cover the boats next to you in your paint dust. Cover your hair as well. Getting the paint dust of of your hair is no easy job.

This is possible the best method to remove paint, Make sure you use a good face mask, not a cheap tatland job. Check the wind direction as well. Last thing you want do is cover the boats next to you in your paint dust. Cover your hair as well. Getting the paint dust of of your hair is no easy job.

I know. (don't ask me how I know this)

Phil

Seem to remember with scabblers to remove paint with grit/sand, it was mentioned to get one with tungsten 'stars' on the head.

This site: http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/en/surface-preparation-tool-hire/143-rotary-scabbler.htmlstates to 'only' use the steel heads on steel and not the TCT.

Tony

This site: http://www.brandontoolhire.co.uk/en/surface-preparation-tool-hire/143-rotary-scabbler.htmlstates to 'only' use the steel heads on steel and not the TCT.

Merely repeating what I read on the forum, seems to be two different views:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48632

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57374&p=1090395

AIUI steel stars will wear more rapidly on a surface with sand in it, being an abrasive.

I think I would go with Refina's recommendation rather than the hire company as the latter doesn't specifically mention sand impregnated coatings.

(now do I get a greenie? ;))

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Hey! Lockie, how big of a scabbler did you use and does it make much noise?

Twas a 4" one about 5 cutting star discs per set and about 6 sets in the body of tue thing

Brilliant piece of kit. Go gently with it DONT press down on it we used ours in a drill and slowed it down a bit wouldnt want to use it in an angle grinder too much speed you would gouge the steelwork

We did the roof on our 50ft boat with an angle grinder powered scabbler - did the whole roof in under two days. A pretty dusty and thankless task but got the job done much quicker than with sanding discs etc which we tried first. As to noisy we had the scabbler and a site genny under the sheds in Brentford, definitely the sort of task to shatter the peace and quite!

We hired the scabbler from Brandon tool hire - they have two nationwide and had to get it down from Middlesborough for us but despite that don't think it was too expensive.