Best Short Break for an Utter UTTER Newbie?

Frog Man

Featured Posts

The downside is that it's a bit boring - with no diversions (such as locks) and it's shallow at the margins so not a lot of places to stop.

(apologies)

Beauty...beholder...eye of...I don't find the Ashby remotely boring, nor for that matter boringly remote. Most hire boats are not deep-draughted so they can get in to the side more easily than traditional craft.

Athy, on 19 Apr 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

Beauty...beholder...eye of...I don't find the Ashby remotely boring, nor for that matter boringly remote. Most hire boats are not deep-draughted so they can get in to the side more easily than traditional craft.

You're absolutely right -

of course-

One man's meat et al.

From comments seen and heard - some folks find the progress (on any canal) is 'slow' but enjoy the activity of an occasional lock at least. After the third one the panic and fear tends to disappear.

It's very difficult to stand back and be totally objective.

You're absolutely right -

of course-

One man's meat et al.

From comments seen and heard - some folks find the progress (on any canal) is 'slow' but enjoy the activity of an occasional lock at least. After the third one the panic and fear tends to disappear.

It's very difficult to stand back and be totally objective.

Well, the good part of this is that the OP has now been able to read balanced views of what the Ashby is like. Up to him whether he decides it's the right venue for his first muddy-ditch adventure.

I don't think anyone's yet mentioned the Wyvern hire fleet based at Linslade on the GU http://www.canalholidays.co.uk/home

LCx

They are really well turned out boats. But, the GU is wide locks, not a easy as narrow locks. But ideal if you pair up with an experienced boat.

Nothing like fence sitting.

Martyn

Thanks chaps, top advice as always!

Have to say that at the beginning of thread I was heavily in favour of the Wey, (for proximitys sake as well as the recomendations) but I am finding myself leaning more and more towards Ashby.... :-)

Midweek break from Rugby to the Ashby canal (ABC Boathire) was our introduction to canal boating, the wife & myself had a great time their 49' 'Grebe' class boat was just the right size for two of us.

Corrected spelling of 'wife' from wire!

It took a couple of reads of Athy's post below to work out what he was on about being certain he hasnt met the missus (finaly saw his bold wire) ?

Edited by Woodsy

Midweek break from Rugby to the Ashby canal (ABC Boathire) was our introduction to canal boating, the wire & myself had a great time their 49' 'Grebe' class boat was just the right size for two of us.

Your other half is very slim, I take it?

Our first hire narrowboat was 45 feet long and at times it scared the bejasus out of us. I believe that Ashby Boats have a couple of shorter ones, around 38 feet, which the OP might be more confident taking charge of.

Edited by Athy

Midweek break from Rugby to the Ashby canal (ABC Boathire) was our introduction to canal boating, the wife & myself had a great time their 49' 'Grebe' class boat was just the right size for two of us./quote]

Would you recommend it for a first timer like me? Was it nice scenery/places of interest/views/PUBS?

:-)

Pubs of note between Rugby and Ashby (I'm sure others will add to this):

The Boat and The Barley Mow (both next to each other) in Newbold just outside of Rugby before the tunnel.

The Greyhound, Sutton Stop. Legendary canalside pub at the junction of the Oxford and Coventry canals.

The Lime Kilns just east of the A5 on the Ashby.

The Rising Sun in Shackerstone. A short walk from the canal in a pretty village.

Midweek break from Rugby to the Ashby canal (ABC Boathire) was our introduction to canal boating, the wife & myself had a great time their 49' 'Grebe' class boat was just the right size for two of us./quote]

Would you recommend it for a first timer like me? Was it nice scenery/places of interest/views/PUBS?

:-)

Sorry for the late response, however John G in post 34 above just about covers it all.

Capt. Pegg, you must be joking! A long tunnel is one of the things likely to put new boaters off ever boating again.

Transit through a tunnel is a highlight for many I am sure. It's personal choice and for some one lock of 6" fall, a short tunnel and miles of rural canal wouldn't be enough features for a canal holiday.

In my neck of the woods new hirers tackle Tardebigge locks and Wast Hill Tunnel all the time. Many do the Severn (successfully). I know it isn't for everyone and I wouldn't recommend it for the OP given the question they asked.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

My first proper trip on a hire boat was from Alvechurch at 16 with a 69 footer straight down Tardebigge doing the Avon ring in a week and a crew consisting of 12 Japanese students who didn't understand locks.

Pubs of note between Rugby and Ashby (I'm sure others will add to this):

The Boat and The Barley Mow (both next to each other) in Newbold just outside of Rugby before the tunnel.

The Greyhound, Sutton Stop. Legendary canalside pub at the junction of the Oxford and Coventry canals.

The Lime Kilns just east of the A5 on the Ashby.

The Rising Sun in Shackerstone. A short walk from the canal in a pretty village.

Good info, except that I believe that one of the Newbold pubs has taken the other one over and closed it down, or made it into a function room perhaps.

12 Japanese students who didn't understand locks.

"Rocks?" No wonder they were nervous.

Good info, except that I believe that one of the Newbold pubs has taken the other one over and closed it down, or made it into a function room perhaps.

You may well be right, it's been about 3 years since I last went there.

Thanks guys, I assume this is the place? I see its on Station Rd but can't find a station closer than Hinckley. ...? :-/

There is Shakerstone Railway Station which is closer, but it is on a preserved railway and not connected to the network.

That's not a lot of help is it? biggrin.png

But, it is well worth a visit if you are in that area.

http://www.battlefield-line-railway.co.uk/

Thanks guys, I assume this is the place? I see its on Station Rd but can't find a station closer than Hinckley. ...? :-/

Aye, you'll wait a while for the next train to Stoke Golding - it closed to passengers before World War 2! Ironically, the next station along the same line has reopened as part of the abovementioned Battlefield Line. Even more ironically, a railway was built (or at least started) to link SG to Hinckley but it never carried a train.

But, anoraks off and back to business. There are quite frequent 'bus services from "Hinckley Station Road" (not sure if that's actually from outside the station itself) to SG, one per hour until about 6 p.m. Not sure of the availability of taxis in the area, the boatyard will doubtless be able to advise you. It's not far - about 3 miles.

Thanks chaps, I've been reading a lot on here and online about stag do's etc spoiling the atmos for others.

Is that a likely problem in the Ashby area?

Also, it would be nice if the trip I am planning were to coincide with my f*cough*tieth birthday. The only downside to this is that it is in August, the peak time of high prices and school holidays.

Would it be best to postpone it and in doing so, get more enjoyment out of my first time..?

Just wondered what people's thoughts and experiences were. :-)

In 50 years of boating I don't think I have ever encountered a stag party, certainly none that ave spoiled my enjoyment. So whil it does (apparently) occasionally happen I wouldn't worry about it.

Hire boat prices are higher in school holidays, and the weather in September can often be better than August...