Youngest Solo Helmsman

Featured Posts

I first steered a boat when I was 13. It was a full length working boat. We have pictures of my wife on holiday on the Shannon steering a hire boat when she was six , and our daughter has been steering our boat since she could see over the cabin. This is my daughter letting me have a rest and a brew on the Shroppie the other year

post-21378-0-94081400-1460837559_thumb.jpeg

I first took to the waterways at 15 and would sit up the back of a semi-trad with my dad as he worked the tiller. Every so often I would take over while he sat down. Eventually I would work the tiller by myself up the back. Now I am an experienced boater I can work every system on the boat solo (inverter and water etc). What is the youngest solo helmsman you have ever seen?

My son, Chris, won the first ever Roger Squires Trophy in the boat handling competition at Canalway Cavalcade when he was 13 years old,The Roger Squires trophy is for boaters who have not previously entered the boat handling competition at Cavalcade. Chris has been messing about in boats since he was seven.