Rudder judder

Slim

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Thames Bhaji said:

If you do find there is some play between the rudder pin and bottom cup, I found trapping a bronze ball bearing in the cup was a decent (and DIY) alternative to getting either replaced. My bearing was around 15mm dia from memory, and I drilled a 45 degree countersunk hole dead-center in the both the bottom of the cup and the end of the pin. Deep enough to leave a few mm gap when assembled with the bearing in place. It now centres on the countersunk holes rather than the outside of the pin / inside of the cup. 

I may well steal this idea the next time the boat is out of the water. Very clever. Could be replaced each time the boat is blacked if it is showing signs of wear.

Jen

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There is a company making and selling the bits to do the bottom bearing the other way up, A pin sticking up and a cup on the bottom of the rudder, the idea being no grit gets in.

That was my idea, 17 years ago.