Barnes Shanks 4 cylinder oil pressure.

Featured Posts

Probably the oil pressure switch. A new one should only cost a few pounds if you pattern it up with one from automotive or second line sources.

It could be a wire chaffing through the insulation and shorting.

It could be a real loss of oil pressure but as long as you have oil in the sump and no horrible banging noises it is probably not.

It could be that someone has filled the sump with something odd like a 0W5 fully synthetic oil

Edited to add that it could be your oil pressure relief valve jammed open, no idea where it is on a Shanks though.

Edited by Tony Brooks

• 2 years later...

Hi Alan

Did you ever sort out this problem....I am having the same issue following a service. 

I have even changed the oil filter again myself and used 20-50 oil as well as replacing the engine oil sump filter.....all to no avail!!

I am being advised to change the engine (£10,000) which I don't have.....and the engine sounds great and has plenty of power......HELP!!!!

In the bad old days of bangers this was quite common. 

It could at worst be well worn bearings, particularly crank main bearings, what sort of hours has this motor run?

Is the tickover exceptionally slow?

Is it the correct oil filter and oil? Enough oil in the sump?

Is the engine too hot?

Has this suddenly started to occur or has it got worse over time?

If the engine sounds OK, try a new oil pressure switch. 

If none of the above, carry on running the engine until it either develops, gets better or worse, because the easiest and most cost effective may be a new engine anyway.

Sorry, that I didn't follow up with an outcome. 

The locally recommended engineer suggested that a replacement pressure switch was the best starting point rather than having to lift the engine out to check the pump. 

The switch was replaced, with no other issues and the need for a replacement engine was avoided. 

• Greenie 2

Thank you

Hours not showing, but the engine was new in 2009, hardly been used since I bought it.

tickover about 800

Correct filter and oil

started since I had it serviced. Last year we went from Derby to Llangollen no problem, brought it back and had it serviced late last year. Only moved it 4 weeks ago and the problem was there. Call the engineers who did the service out and they said it seems to have excess crank case pressure.

Think I will try and source a new pressure switch

Many thanks for your help

Tom

5 minutes ago, AllanD said:

The locally recommended engineer suggested that a replacement pressure switch was the best starting point rather than having to lift the engine out to check the pump. 

The switch was replaced, with no other issues and the need for a replacement engine was avoided. 

Thank you 

was it easy to locate and did you need to drain the oil to change it?

nearly bought a shanks myself for my new build after seeing it at crick in 2014, good solid engine if a bit agricultural at a fantastic price but decided to go for the shire after visiting the barrus factory and talking to staff who said they could not source the base engine from china any more and spares might be a problem in a few years time.

neil

14 hours ago, AllanD said:

The locally recommended engineer suggested that a replacement pressure switch was the best starting point

As did Tony B in the first sentence of post #2. 

On 17/08/2018 at 18:36, AllanD said:

Thank you 

was it easy to locate and did you need to drain the oil to change it?

Well I looked to remove the switch today....no success as yet 

21mm spanner tried but no space, tried socket but can’t get it on due to oil filter.

will try to source a box spanner or maybe a ratchet spanner....fingers crossed I don’t snap it off!!

It has been a while since this was done but I do remember that the mechanic had quite a bit of trouble getting to the switch and getting a spanner onto it. 

I am sorry but I cannot remember exactly where the switch was located and I no longer own the boat.