The canals are male dominated........Really?

MHS

Featured Posts

Has anyone actually in the whole history of Supermarkets answered "yes" to that question? tongue.png

I'm always too embarrassed to smile.png

I have!

The woman on the till just laughed at me.

I didn't press the point, I just got on with my packing...

Go to Tyneside, there is no discrimination there......they call everybody "pet"

Duck in Derbyshire....or rather I think it was duck..

In East Cleveland where I live everybody is 'mate'.

Edited by MJG

When I go to the supermarket and the checkout lady asks me if I need help with the packing, I always take the subtext to be "you are a man, clearly you have no idea how to pack shopping into a bag effectively, you must need help". Downright sexual discrimination I tell you!

The bloke at the check out asks my wife just the same question.

Duck in Derbyshire....or rather I think it was duck..

Yes indeed - when we moved to Heanor, Mrs. Athy came home from her first day at her new job and announced in her Essex tones "I'm a Duck!" - though of course it's pronounced dook around those parts.

When we lived in Sheffield many years ago, my Dad was rather startled when the man next door addressed him as "Luv". It was used by and to both genders back then, not sure if it still is.

An ex girlfriend of mine didn't like me holding the door open for her even if I went through first and just held it to stop it flying back and hitting her. She said she looked at it as if I was saying she wasn't capable of opening a door!

When I was a kid there was a girl I really fancied at school. She wasn't interested in me but one day I saw her with her, then, current squeeze. He open a door for her and then stood aside to let her through. Wow!, that's the secret secret, I thought.

45 years on i wonder where they are now?

Go to Tyneside, there is no discrimination there......they call everybody of opposite sex "pet"

eta gender blush.png

Didn't need to add gender. With my pedant hat on I would insist that "gender" is a grammatical term. We don't have it that much in English but in French "La table" means that table has a feminine gender.

Sex is what people have. (Hm... I need to put that differently) Sex refers to the maleness or femaleness of animals and some plants. I am a member of the male sex. Not the male gender.

So there wink.png

Nick

A "Women-only arts centre"? I wonder what would happen if I tried to convert my boat into a "men only pub".

Yes, indeed!

....6 posts, 5 male, 1 not telling, male dominated?....

Out of interest the sites members, doing a quick crude search, show the gender (and 'old gender') field to be filled is as such; Obviously 20,000 members, the majority do not fill it in, so it could well be totally meaningless.

Male 9044 (4933)

Female 2549 (1217)

Not Telling 458 (3374

Daniel

Being serious, but only for a second, I have a wife who is female (!). We boat (ugh, boat is not a verb but whatever) together and we have made friends on the cut and through this 'ere forum. Some are gurls and some are chaps but it doesn't matter, they are all friends.

Girls can join the Scouts, but boys are not allowed to join the Guides

Are you sure about that? There was a TV news item recently about a male member of the Guides.

Nah, they ask me that too and I assume it's because I'm so inept ...

Nah!........................

Being serious, but only for a second, I have a wife who is female (!). We boat (ugh, boat is not a verb but whatever) together and we have made friends on the cut and through this 'ere forum. Some are gurls and some are chaps but it doesn't matter, they are all friends.

Exactly!!

I wonder if it's only us female single handers who think there are very few female single handers!? boat.gif Where is everybody else finding them? biggrin.png

I'd like to know that too!

Didn't need to add gender. With my pedant hat on I would insist that "gender" is a grammatical term. We don't have it that much in English but in French "La table" means that table has a feminine gender.

Sex is what people have. (Hm... I need to put that differently) Sex refers to the maleness or femaleness of animals and some plants. I am a member of the male sex. Not the male gender.

So there wink.png

Nick

Yes, indeed!

Gender in language is something affecting grammar, as you say, and there isn't always an apparent reason for why something's masculine or feminine; in sociological terms it's generally seen as a social construct, and not all people born male will feel male in gender, ditto women/female. What is deemed to be "masculine" and "feminine" are generally decided by society, such as women wearing make-up but not men; men being muscular but not women. That sort of thing :)

Single handed Lady boaters are noticeable because there aren't many, consequently they are memorable.

I think this distorts the picture.

In my experience they are very open and friendly, whereas a percentage of single handed gents have been quite grumpy and verging on the downright rude.

I've never found that attitude (yet) with ladies (single handed or not).

Rog

Maybe it's my natural sunny disposition ;)

Well thats because us women are always sunny natured and pleasant and men are ole grumps

Single handed Lady boaters are noticeable because there aren't many, consequently they are memorable.

In my experience they are very open and friendly, whereas a percentage of single handed gents have been quite grumpy and verging on the downright rude.

Rog

Maybe it's my natural sunny disposition wink.png

• Greenie 1

And "le vagin" is a vagina and is masculin (gramatically at least), so make of that what you will. clapping.gif

I'd have to say I am yet to see (in an admittedly short time) another woman single-handing.

I wonder if it's only us female single handers who think there are very few female single handers!? boat.gif Where is everybody else finding them? biggrin.png

Agreed, there's not many of us, I've only spotted two in the last year.

LCx

(edit to be a bit clearer)

Edited by Lady Cassandra

Out of interest the sites members, doing a quick crude search, show the gender (and 'old gender') field to be filled is as such; Obviously 20,000 members, the majority do not fill it in, so it could well be totally meaningless.

Male 9044 (4933)

Female 2549 (1217)

Not Telling 458 (3374

Daniel

While we're on the subject of gender make up of the forum, I wonder how figures for the ethnic diversity of forum members (and waterways users) would pan out?

I imagine it looks somewhat like a KKK convention. (Ok, just white dominated).

By the way, are we even allowed to talk about this sort of stuff on this forum? The message i read when i joined said discussion of anything controversial was banned, but i guess this is ok as the site owner has joined in.

Edited by Claude
  • Greenie 1

While we're on the subject of gender make up of the forum, I wonder how figures for the ethnic diversity of forum members (and waterways users) would pan out?

I imagine it looks somewhat like a KKK convention. (Ok, just white dominated).

By the way, are we even allowed to talk about this sort of stuff on this forum? The message i read when i joined said discussion of anything controversial was banned, but i guess this is ok as the site owner has joined in.

banned1-smiley.gif?1292867552