Continuous Cruising Clarification...

Frog Man

Featured Posts

30 miles in each direction is a 60 mile range so easily satisfies CaRTs 15-20 mile range. Lots of boaters on the K&A are very happy to cruise between Bath and Bradford on Avon and they don't get bored, are you saying Wales is boring? (just making trouble cus I've drunk too much cider).

.............Dave

I found the journey from Bath to BoA (and beyond) to be interesting, once or twice a year possibly, but I would consider myself an utter pratt if I made part of that journey once a fortnight and never extended my journey to somewhere new. How many of the boats moored along that route are on their home moorings? My guess is not many. Do the 'CCers' moored there really enjoy ('are very happy') cruising along that same short section every 2 weeks? As boaters do they have no desire to explore further afield? Forgive me for being sceptical.

Mon and Brec is charming but spending a year 'cruising' up and down? Nahh.

I can understand if someone has a home mooring where the boat resides most of the time, and they make an occasional trip up and down when it is convenient, weather is OK and they have guests - family or friends. Typical casual boater. But not having a home mooring and making the same journey of necessity every 2 weeks or less - nahh. That ain't in the spirit of CCing, whatever the 'rules' say.

• Greenie 2

Well if I am at point A and can go 30 miles in either direction I take that as going East for 30 miles to B, or West for 30 miles to C, so B to C is 60 miles apart so a 60 mile range? But now I am sucked into arguing technicalities and for me this is not what CCing is about, I just prefer to use my boat for navigation most of the time, but sometimes I like to stop for a while too.

............Dave

Agree, 30 miles in each direction if you did BOTH A-B and A-C (or to put it another way, A-B-A-C-A regularly) would be a 60 mile range. But 30 miles A-B then turn round and 30 miles B-A, then turn round and repeat (A-B-A-B-A) is a 30 mile range.

I think this is one of the reasons why we must not focus on "acceptable cruising range" or "acceptable distance" or "how far do I need to move to keep my licence" - the distances are of secondary importance, therefore the precise definition of how that distance is calculated is also similarly not critical. Its the intent of the use of the boat (ie bona fide).

I found the journey from Bath to BoA (and beyond) to be interesting, once or twice a year possibly, but I would consider myself an utter pratt if I made part of that journey once a fortnight and never extended my journey to somewhere new. How many of the boats moored along that route are on their home moorings? My guess is not many. Do the 'CCers' moored there really enjoy ('are very happy') cruising along that same short section every 2 weeks? As boaters do they have no desire to explore further afield? Forgive me for being sceptical.

Mon and Brec is charming but spending a year 'cruising' up and down? Nahh.

I can understand if someone has a home mooring where the boat resides most of the time, and they make an occasional trip up and down when it is convenient, weather is OK and they have guests - family or friends. Typical casual boater. But not having a home mooring and making the same journey of necessity every 2 weeks or less - nahh. That ain't in the spirit of CCing, whatever the 'rules' say.

I don't disagree, but just a couple of thoughts.

For two years till we got things sorted out (getting rid of jobs, houses and children) we did the same trip almost every weekend and I never got totally bored.

Have spent the last couple of months on the K&A long pound (15 miles) and if I was told that I could go no further then I would still choose that over living in a house.

All the daft questions we get asked, one of the best was "don't you get bored living on a boat?". I tried to explain how interesting it was but if I had been quicker thinking I should have said "don't you get bored living in a house, it doesn't even move"

However it is spring so am looking forward to a bit of serious cruising.

.........Dave

Murflynn, if someone has a HOME mooring would they need to make a journey of necessity every two weeks? Apologies if I'm misinterpreting :-)

You have a wonderful talent for asking simple questions which have controversial answers

I'll see if I can find the law that all this mess is based on

Richard

MORE: Here you go: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1995/1/section/17/enacted

The relevant bit is 17.3.c:

©

either—

(i)the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere;

or

(ii)the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.

Now, this is a truly messy piece of legislation because it is ambiguous which means it can be interpreted different ways

Edited by RLWP

Murflynn, if someone has a HOME mooring would they need to make a journey of necessity every two weeks? Apologies if I'm misinterpreting :-)

If you have a home mooring you need never move anywhere else ever.

(Edited to address MtB's point)

Edited by David Mack

Some home moorers have to do this, because they live on the boat and its not moored near water point/pump out etc. Of course, you could cart water and cassettes up and down the towpath if you wanted to.

If you have a home mooring you need never move anywhere ever.

But according to the latest t&c's, must behave like a cc'r when away from your moorings, i.e. move every 14 days unless a shorter stay time is posted.

So, does that mean as soon as your licence is valid, you have to set off and not stop until it expires?

Keith

Effectively yes, if "set off" means cruise compliantly (bona fide for navigation, if you like) and "stop" means overstay. Cruising compliantly can include transit moorings, which can be up to 14 days.

Crikey I'm a lucky lad.

Had to read all this to discover how difficult and technical boating is.

I'm clearly doing something wrong, cos it's been simple as....

well, simple as boating to me.

I'll get mi coat.

Rog

Effectively yes, if "set off" means cruise compliantly (bona fide for navigation, if you like) and "stop" means overstay. Cruising compliantly can include transit moorings, which can be up to 14 days.

It wasn't really a serious question, I was just trying to point out the error of quoting parts of the law in isolation.

I feel it a pity that ''Continuous Cruiser'' has become so widely adopted as the term describing a boater who doesn't have a home mooring as allowed for in the 1995 Act. I dare say that most of the arguments would never have arisen, had this term never have come into general use.

We used to have a home mooring and very nice it was too, but having to return to it every time we went for a cruise dictated how far we could travel in a given time and meant that only out and back trips were feasible. So, after a while, we tended not to cruise very much or hardly at all because we were seeing the same few miles each time. We decided to give up our mooring in order to go where the fancy took us and be able to spend time at different locations in order to explore each one.

It's been a year so far and we're thoroughly enjoying the freedom. So far, we've not been further than three comfortable days cruising from our old mooring but that includes spending about half our time on the Thames. We'll probably go a bit further this year but it's very unlikely that we'll be more than a week away from our old mooring at any one time because PETRA's size tends to prevent it to some extent.

We've managed not to upset E.A. and complied with CaRT's guidelines to the letter.

We could have kept the mooring and done the same thing, but it wouldn't have made much sense spending close to £4000 for something we didn't use.

Keith

30 miles in each direction is a 60 mile range so easily satisfies CaRTs 15-20 mile range.

.............Dave

The Mon and Brec is just under 35 miles long. Quite difficult to have a 60 mile range on a 35 mile waterway, I'd have thought.

We used to have a home mooring and very nice it was too, but having to return to it every time we went for a cruise dictated how far we could travel in a given time and meant that only out and back trips were feasible. So, after a while, we tended not to cruise very much or hardly at all because we were seeing the same few miles each time. We decided to give up our mooring in order to go where the fancy took us and be able to spend time at different locations in order to explore each one.

Our experience was similar, although we'd got in the habit of travelling further afield, leaving our boat on the towpath between cruises, before giving up our mooring when we decided we just had no use for it. Apparently this means we were "dumpers" rather than "genuine" CCers, in spite of abiding by the 14 day rule and cruising several hundred miles a year.

Our experience was similar, although we'd got in the habit of travelling further afield, leaving our boat on the towpath between cruises, before giving up our mooring when we decided we just had no use for it. Apparently this means we were "dumpers" rather than "genuine" CCers, in spite of abiding by the 14 day rule and cruising several hundred miles a year.

Another reason why ''Continuous Cruiser'' is an inaccurate term for boaters without a home mooring.

Just to muddle things up a bit more, are there any sections of UK waterways where CCing is logistically impossible? By which I mean, short waterways not necessarily connected to a canal network that a person could not physically navigate whilst meeting the CRT criteria for Distance Covered and Time Spent In one location.

(Does that make sense? )

The Bridgwater and Taunton would be one such - land locked, entirely managed by CRT and only 15 miles long

The Bridgwater and Taunton would be one such - land locked, entirely managed by CRT and only 15 miles long

Just to muddy things up further, its quite reasonable that a boater may choose to visit that waterway (on their boat), by arranging it to be lifted out of the connected & navigable CRT waterway network, put on a truck then put into the B&T. Then lift the boat out again at a later date.