Pulling/Towing a boat

Pennie

Featured Posts

• 5 months later...

People do stop posting as was the case of Loafer who I believe was banned. He gave notice on the other channel that he was all posted out and would be not posting for a while. Pity because I enjoyed his wit.

Paul of Nulife42 stopped posting when he fell out of love with boating and now travels around in a mahoosive Winebago type vehicle.

Roger Gunkle stopped posting after being given a load of stick for simply reporting the facts and I going story of The Lazy Otter.

There are loads more,

Phil 

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 15:37, bargemast said:

Well Athy, I knew that you are a well educated man, but never expected you to know so much about the Dutch Train- and Tram history.

As a child we used to go from Amsterdam (were we were living) to visit the grandparents that were living in Enkhuizen, a very picturesque old fishing town on the IJsselmeer, formerly the Zuiderzee where my grandfather (mums dad) used to be a professional fisherman.

We used to go there with this Steamtram:   http://www.stoomtram.nl/en   which is still occasionally running for the tourists.

Peter.

We did that run on the steam train in 2009 from Hoorne to Medemblike, we then got the double decker train back to Hoorne then got the ferry round to Enkhuizen. Here are a couple of piccies

Ferry 1.JPG

Steam Train.JPG

Edited by captain birdseye

4 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

We did that run on the steam train in 2009 from Hoorne to Medemblike, we then got the double decker train back to Hoorne then got the ferry round to Enkhuizen. Here are a couple of piccies

Ferry 1.JPG

Steam Train.JPG

Thanks for this posting captain birdseye, it's all nostalgia for me, I haven't been back there for ages.

There used to be a world famous boatyard in Medemblik (Jongert) were they built mega yachts, sail and motor for the people with too much money.

Enkhuizen, where my mother and sister were born, and Hoorn are both very picturesque harbour places where you can see lots of sailing charter barges during the season.

I remember more of the trainride that I always enjoyed, even while sitting on the hard wooden benches, than of my grand  parent that we went to see when using this steam train, my granddad died when I was 2 and my grandma when I was 5.

Peter.

we sailed around the area, hiring leeboard sailing barges from Harlingen a few times in the nineties. We went over the Ijsselmeer and into the canals to Maas and out into the sea to visit the Friesland islands. Great times. I remember a particular bar in Medemblik run by a famous swimmer and used to enter the annual race across the Ijsselmere.

The trip on the train was made with our young children who loved it.