Going slow

Timx

Featured Posts

No its not hard, I use a card with the sound symbols on it to remind me of the lesser used ones.

Don't forget the majority of canal users are probably hirers with no interest in it, and as there is no penalty for not using them there is no incentive for anyone to learn them.

If insurance companies refused to pay out unless the correct sound signals had been used, then it might be a different matter.

Would not be hard for the hire companies to have a sticker on the back deck with them on,so the hirer perhaps might understand what is going on.

Would not be hard for the hire companies to have a sticker on the back deck with them on,so the hirer perhaps might understand what is going on.

Wot like the one in Alan's post#69 above?

If trying to determine another boaters manoeuvreing intentions is a problem, then maybe all boats should have one (sound signal chart) posted readily viewable from the helm position, because lets face it 'hand signals' can be open to misinterpretation, and possibly of no use in reduced visibility.

Why don't we all learn the Morse Code - then we can use our horns to chat away to our heart's content - and how about a few headlight signals thrown in for good measure. Who said semaphore flags?

I am more than happy with unambiguous horn signals if they were mandatory and it makes sense for large commercial shipping where they are going too fast to avoid collision if signals are not given or mistaken - but not so on canals where we should be going slow enough at all times to manoeuvre safely - and what a noisy place the canals would become if horns were the norm. No thanks.

An approved code of simple easy-to-learn hand signals (or even fit flashing indicators) would suffice for the canals and rivers.

Why don't we all learn the Morse Code - then we can use our horns to chat away to our heart's content - and how about a few headlight signals thrown in for good measure. Who said semaphore flags?

I am more than happy with unambiguous horn signals if they were mandatory and it makes sense for large commercial shipping where they are going too fast to avoid collision if signals are not given or mistaken - but not so on canals where we should be going slow enough at all times to manoeuvre safely - and what a noisy place the canals would become if horns were the norm. No thanks.

An approved code of simple easy-to-learn hand signals (or even fit flashing indicators) would suffice for the canals and rivers.

I have just reviewed the 'Boaters Handbook'to refresh my memory, there are plenty of references to sound signals (basic ones are listed on page 53), however there is no mention of hand signals☺

ETA The same sequence of long & short blast sound signals can be used as light flashes during periods of darkness by a suitable torch or light

Edited by Woodsy

(snip)The same sequence of long & short blast sound signals can be used as light flashes during periods of darkness by a suitable torch or light

There is a fair bit of overlap beween horn signals, morse, and signal flags.

Long short, short on the horn (maneuvering with difficulty) is D in morse, and has the same meaning as the "D" letter flag.

Similarly for E (turning to starboard, I (turning to port) and S (engine(s) going astern)

Not sure about ME, MI, HE or HI, though !captain.gif

Having come to the canals from a sailing background it does seem bizarre to me that people are expecting first time hirers to have the foggiest notion of what sound signals mean. You'll find that a lot of lumpy water sailors don't know either, and they are more likely to come across them. Most lumpy water sailors will possibly know one short blast for turning to starboard, two for turning to port three meaning I'm going backwards and five to mean 'what the hell are you doing' but beyond that they generally haven't a clue. There is no sound signal asking for a repeat signal to be sent so if you aren't looking at the card you may have on display when the signal is made you are then left wondering 'was it four short blasts, then another short blast or was it five short blasts together?', keep things simple, and as someone else has said it is not as though we are travelling so fast that we need to know immediately what the other helm is doing, if in doubt just stop (or you could just plough on since it is a contact sport, isn't itrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif )

Bit of a narrow view being taken regarding not needing sound signals, once you get away from canals and onto rivers you may well come across some seriously big traffic and it's nice to know what they intend to do and nice to be able to respond. I think it was last year we met a pusher tug with s couple of barges/flats that he was pushing up the Great Ouse, I was able to respond to his sound signal and wad rewarded with a cheery thumbs up ad we passed.

Phil

I thought the 4 sound signals were easy to learn....must get the MCA to approve hand signals for the trip boats as well..!!

My favourite was the oncoming boat with a woman in the cratch area (out of sight of the helm) waving her right hand to me and the helm himself waving his leftwacko.png . My response was along the lines of "I think I'll wait here for him to come past, whichever side he is going to come past onrolleyes.gif ". Speaking to them as they passed it seems the woman was indicating that I should pass on the side she was waving to and the helm was indicating what side he was going to pass on, no real confusion there thenunsure.png

The only signal that matters is the one the helmsman is giving. Ignore "helpful" crew on the front deck.

(and you were right about the mirror thing the other day!).

To be honest, if I want to pass a slow moving boat I usually invent a horn signal then smile and wave.

Richard

Fairy nuff, but what if there is a lock in the next mile or so? Will you be through it before the overtaken boat gets there?

Fairy nuff, but what if there is a lock in the next mile or so? Will you be through it before the overtaken boat gets there?

Usually, yes. I'm generally only interested in overtaking boats where I'm struggling to go slow enough and have to go in and out of gear.

Richard

We passed one yesterday, no signals at all he just held hard to the right, today we are following one.Well Diana is, I'm sending this.

Sorry Brian, must have missed something (it's my age) but er uhm passed what?

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose