Going slow

Timx

Featured Posts

I noted a recent topic, on how to pass a boat going slow, and I think I am one of them, because most times, I am on a narrowboat to go slow, that's my intention, I don't mean dawdling ridiculously, just a nice steady pace, so in turny windy rural places I can just go slow and enjoy, rather than either speed up, and have to concentrate more, or pull over to the side and sometimes get beached to allow others to pass. I can see both sides of the argument if people are going tick over speed all the time, but I am currently on the Llangollen, why do people want to go as fast as they can on there/and I am not just talking hirers, I feel I am either a pain to others, for going at a sedate pace, or there a pain to me, as there right behind me impatiently, if I see a boat ahead I slow down and go at their pace, if people are in a rush, get a car/train/ plane..

• Greenie 4

In our boat we can't maintain steerage at less than 2.5 odd mph.

We have a small rudder area compared to tin tubs, following narrowboats thru the narrow and shallow parts of the middle levels that are cruising very slowly is a massive chore.

It involves stirring the gearbox constantly and getting steadily more annoyed.

Many are sensible enough to let us passed unhindered.

The odd one isn't, this has lead to more than one disagreement :(

Edited by gazza

People's idea of sensible steady cruising speeds vary - as many variations as there are cruisers. It's a bit like driving a car at 20mph in a 50mph zone, some will object!

I don't speed, I slow down even more for moored boats, but I do find it mildly frustrating when I have to slow to below tickover behind another boat, sometimes to the point where I lose steerage way. If I attempt to overtake they often speed up, or swing across the canal into my path. If I succeed they often shout abuse at me - even though I have still not gone fast enough to set up a wake.

Bear in mind that some boats behave differently and some skippers don't want to sit behind a boat inhaling diesel fumes for mile after mile.

• Greenie 2

I don't think it's a case of others speeding or going too fast but just a case of someone catching you up

your boat /engine/you may be happy at 2mph but a boat behind may be at 2.5 mph (not a speed freak) and will eventually catch you up.

When this happens there are 2 outcomes, the other boat has to adopt your speed which may well put them in a uncomfortable situation or you may choose to let them past.

One mans tickover may not match another's

It's unfair to cast everybody who catches you up as a speed obsessed maniac, they may well have a reason for going faster than you.

Phil

I agree with Phil here. There is slow, and there is very slooooooow.

I'm not one to rush, however i hardly think my normal 2.5 - 3 mph is exactly rushing. Anyone is at liberty to go as slow as they like, but they should respect other boaters too. If a boat is catching you up, ease over and wave them past, it's not difficult and it can be done quickly without getting 'beached'. Getting stuck is more likely if you stick to your speed (muttering to yourself "if you want to go fast you should go on a motorway) so ease off and wave them by with a smile.

• Greenie 2

On one occasion I (and two other boats) followed a boat down a section of the Trent and Mersey, it was an excruciating journey. At tickover (literally just clicked into "ahead") I was catching him up. Because of this I had to keep dropping out of gear and drifting to let him get ahead. That in itself making things even more awkward for the following boats. Now don't get the idea that I have speedy boat, flat out in deep water it will only do 6 kts

The other boats were having same problems as well. In the end I gave up and stopped for a cup of tea. It was very frustrating.

• Greenie 1

How very arrogant of you to think you can decide whether people are allowed to be in a rush or not. People are sometimes in a rush for all sorts of reasons that you would be ignorant of. Many people have a fixed period for their trips/holidays and sometimes things transpire to upset schedules - for example we have just lost 2 days from our trip due to unnecessarily lock closures.

It is also very arrogant of you to think that anyone who wants to go faster than you must be "rushing". People wan to go at different speeds, GET OVER IT. You are not the God of canal speed.

By all means go at the speed you want to, but equally don't force others to go at your chosen speed. That is plain selfish.

If you are so incompetent as to find allowing following boats to overtake difficult, may I suggest some tuition?

+1 cheers.gifclapping.gif

there are some speed police freaks on the cut.

I can never understand how a boater can relax and enjoy the journey if he has another boat (or worse, a line of boats) sniffing around his rear end for mile after mile. If it was me I would soon get stressed and just pull over and let him through.

OTOH there are many motorists who seem to delight in leading a convoy of vehicles along single carriageway roads. Perhaps they get some satisfaction from the idea that they are pioneers discovering the road for the first time, and the following pack are content to be safe behind such a caring leader. Maybe some boaters are the same. frusty.gif

Edited by Murflynn

Followed a fat narrowboat along the K&A a while ago, could barely maintain steerage way and had to spend half the time in neutral. If I'd had a rocket propelled grenade handy I would have blown it out of the water, (My therapist say's we are making progress)

That's a bold statement :)

There have been times when I've got brassed off with someone crawling along but speeding up as soon as there is a decent place to overtake that I decide to pull over for a cuppa. That's when they usually pull up just ahead. C'est la vie. Happens on the road as well 'cept I don't stop for tea.

This annoying little mantra gets repeated over and over on here. I'd counter with "if you want to travel that slowly take up towpath rambling instead".

Tam

I'm rather left wondering whether the OP, Tim(e)X, isn't a wind up merchant. ;)