Help me choose a name

Clare De Loon

Featured Posts

I am more than certain a lot of 'single named' ships suffered the same fate☺

A ship (now 35 year old) I had command of is now on her seventh name, and still going strong in an industry that mostly frowns upon ships more than 20 to 25 years old!

I recollect reading many years ago that the 'you cannot rename a ship as its bad luck' was put about in an attempt to stop crews stealing their ship and turning to piracy in the 18th century.

Personally I put it in the same 'old wives /sea story' basket as it is 'bad luck to have females on board ships' - obviously put about by prudes who disapproved of the merriment and lechery going on on the 'lower decks' in the same era

aham, none of that behaviour around here.......

As far as I am concerned its only bad luck to change a ships name if you don't get the paperwork sorted out! Class, P&I, Insurance, Charterers etc all look upon such things with bad grace. luckily a lot easier on a narrow boat!

If you are have a house, you may find there's a record of the original name of the land it was built on prior to it being enclosed in the 18th or 19th century. They tend to be good old English names, and quite often peculiar to the area.

Try your local County Records Office. They'll almost certainly be very keen to help as 99.9% of the enquiries they get are about family history, and being asked for a Tithe Map or Enclosure Award is a rare treat for them.

We used the pre-1769 name of the field where our house was built for our boat, and it's unique.

I really like this idea. I actually have the original documents relating to all the conveyances that have been on our house and the land that it was built on. Looking at at them I can see that the land was known as "Little Cow Pasture" - I guess that it would make an unique boat name

'Tiz very bad luck to have females, shivery me timbers.

Well we'll be getting a double dose of bad luck with a name change and a female on board

:)

I really like this idea. I actually have the original documents relating to all the conveyances that have been on our house and the land that it was built on. Looking at at them I can see that the land was known as "Little Cow Pasture" - I guess that it would make an unique boat name

To save on sign writing costs you could shorten it to "Little Cow Pat".... or perhaps not :)

Trinity reminds me of the fantastic work by Trinity House, providers of lighthouses and support for seafarers for 500 years. Lovely name for a boat.

There's some information on the work of Trinity House here.

https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk

Can't do a proper link 'cos I'm on my iPad, soz ...

Bear in mind that signwriters ofter charge by the letter so short mames can be cheaper.

Top Cat

Yea I was going to have "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" but I would have had to have the boat lengthened!laugh.png

Instead of Trinity, how about Triptych? It means 'a work of art, divided into three'. It's also unique. There's a boat called Tryptyc but they spellt it rong

Edited by Dave_P
  • Greenie 1

Instead of Trinity, how about Triptych? It means 'a work of art, divided into three'. It's also unique. There's a boat called Tryptyc but they spellt it rong

Great name and as an aspiring artist it really appeals!

Tomorrow is the day that we collect her and so we want to be sure about the name before we register her as ours. Having a wobble about Pomfret Venturer as a few people in RL have said that its a bit of a mouthful!

Tomorrow is the day that we collect her and so we want to be sure about the name before we register her as ours. Having a wobble about Pomfret Venturer as a few people in RL have said that its a bit of a mouthful!

Try this. You have a lot of ideas in mind so, stand in the middle of your new boat and ask it what it's name is

Richard

If you use it, I want royalties! (not sure how that would actually work though...)