Help me choose a name

Clare De Loon

Featured Posts

Being picky:

To my ears, Pomfret Venture sounds better than Pomfret Venturer as the former has a better cadence and rolls off the tongue easier.

But either would be an original and non-ridiculous choice of name. smile.png

Congratulations - exciting times!

I'd go for the first option - it'll be a great talking point with other boaters and towpath walkers.

PS thanks for that last one - gave me & hubby a laugh :D

It will be mistaken by some for a French chip, my vote is Trinity, a good solid sounding name.

Phil

I quite like "Pomfret Venturer".

Sort-of off-topic story: I always planned to rename my first boat "Ella Guru", after the Captain Beefheart song, which I thought would be a quirky, unique name. On our first cruise after buying it, we got all of 100 yards down the cut before passing a boat - about four boats down from us on our moorings - with the name "Ella Guru" printed out on a sheet of A4 paper and stuck in the window. I've checked since and it's the only one on the register. Grr!

• Greenie 1

For me, any name will do EXCEPT one glorifying the fact that travelling by canal is a slow process.

Nothing more frustrating than catching up to a boat doing 1.5mph, who won't let you overtake, and then you find some stupid pun on how slow life is as its name!

George ex nb Alton retired

For me, any name will do EXCEPT one glorifying the fact that travelling by canal is a slow process.

Nothing more frustrating than catching up to a boat doing 1.5mph, who won't let you overtake, and then you find some stupid pun on how slow life is as its name!

George ex nb Alton retired

I have a pet dislike of all daft boat names. Especially those with 'too', 'serendipity', 'narrow', 'inheritance', etc, in the name!

• Greenie 1

I have a pet dislike of all daft boat names. Especially those with 'too', 'serendipity', 'narrow', 'inheritance', etc, in the name!

Daft is in the eye of the beholder. I rather like names such as 'Inheritance' - they denote honesty. Not "We scrimped and saved for years to buy our boat", but "Dad popped off and left us a bit, that's how we were able to afford this".

I agree totally !!!

my yoghurt pot had been re-named by it's last owner with such a name.......I immediately returned it to it's original and much more suitable name of "Shapfell"

I like some of the oddball names you come across amongst the fishing fleets, round here we have one I particularly like "Boy Lukie" named after a crew member of a cockle boat lost at Dunkirk but I am also fond of some of the historic ones "Better Hope" "First Fruits" "Leading Star" come to mind

Thanks everyone for your input, it's been really helpful hearing different views and there have been some great suggestions.

Seconded. Although, as I assume that Pomfret is Pontefract (as in the renowned cakes), how about "Ponty" for short?

Pomfret is indeed Pontefract, home of Ponte races, the castle and Haribo!

It will be mistaken by some for a French chip, my vote is Trinity, a good solid sounding name.

Phil

I suppose it's possible that we could be mistaken for fancy chip shop owners

So after mulling on it overnight we have finally come to a decision, the boats new name shall be...... Pomfret Venturer

A big thank you to Lady Cassandra for coming up with this combination.

• Greenie 2

Still unlucky

smile.png

Not sure when that superstition came into being, Ships have been re-named for centuries

(The "Golden Hind" was re-named that for Drakes voyage it was originally called the "Pelican" and Captain Cooks ship "Endeavour" was originally called "Earl of Pembroke")

Edited by John V

If you are have a house, you may find there's a record of the original name of the land it was built on prior to it being enclosed in the 18th or 19th century. They tend to be good old English names, and quite often peculiar to the area.

Try your local County Records Office. They'll almost certainly be very keen to help as 99.9% of the enquiries they get are about family history, and being asked for a Tithe Map or Enclosure Award is a rare treat for them.

We used the pre-1769 name of the field where our house was built for our boat, and it's unique.

Not sure when that superstition came into being, Ships have been re-named for centuries

(The "Golden Hind" was re-named that for Drakes voyage it was originally called the "Pelican" and Captain Cooks ship "Endeavour" was originally called "Earl of Pembroke")

The Golden Hind rotted away and then was broken up, same fate for Endeavour.

I rest my case

:)

The Golden Hind rotted away and then was broken up, same fate for Endeavour.

I rest my case

:)

I am more than certain a lot of 'single named' ships suffered the same fate☺

A ship (now 35 year old) I had command of is now on her seventh name, and still going strong in an industry that mostly frowns upon ships more than 20 to 25 years old!

I recollect reading many years ago that the 'you cannot rename a ship as its bad luck' was put about in an attempt to stop crews stealing their ship and turning to piracy in the 18th century.

Personally I put it in the same 'old wives /sea story' basket as it is 'bad luck to have females on board ships' - obviously put about by prudes who disapproved of the merriment and lechery going on on the 'lower decks' in the same era