TVs arials

Benno 1688

Featured Posts

Looking to buy a maxiview omnimax arial has anyone got any experience of these.

Yes.

They are rubbish unless in a very strong signal area, which on a boat can be erratic.

Some people however claim they are fine.

Better to invest in a 'proper' log periodic aerial and an aerial alignment app. on your phone.

Yes they are good in all except very weak signal areas. Some people claim they are rubbish but if they are properly installed they will generally give good results without the need to aim them in the way you have to with a log periodic which also means they can be used on the move.

Speaking as an ex tv service engineer btw.

Yes they are good in all except very weak signal areas. Some people claim they are rubbish but if they are properly installed they will generally give good results without the need to aim them in the way you have to with a log periodic which also means they can be used on the move.

Speaking as an ex tv service engineer btw.

We'll forgive me but I have used these extensively for decades and they are simply pants.

I would ask if they are so good why have so many caravan manufacturers ditched them in favour of the directional type that can be adjusted from inside the 'van?

I suggest the OP has a read here. This company and very informative site is run by a forum member.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/touringaerials.html

Edited by MJG

I tried various omnidirectional TV aerials with and without amplifiers, they were all rubbish. Then I got a short log periodic aerial from eBay, never yet failed to get good signal simply by putting it on the roof (usually perched on the gang plank), point it according to my iPhone app (which also tells me if I need to retune) and that's it. However, normally we us satellite because it's much better and we have a recording box.

Edited by nicknorman

I am not sure what we have, other than it is an Omni and would have been the best / most expensive the builder could find (!) - However it has provided perfect Freeview signals on the whole length of the K and A between Reading and Devizes all the time we have had it.. I wasn't a fan of Omni aerials but this has been a fit and forget experience. I don't know if that is a known good area so is probably classified as a "small sample"...

I have never even had the need to get the HD satellite system out and set up which was bought to fill in the "poor locations", but as yet haven't found any...

Edited by Nickhlx

We travel nearly all of the system every year, and I would estimate that we get a perfectly good Freeview signal on the Omnimax about 75-80% of the time. Of course if I spent all my time somewhere like the southern end of the S&W canal that would be 0%, or if I spent all my time here in Milton Keynes that would be 100%. We do also carry a log periodic for those few occasions when the Omnimax fails us, and a satellite dish for when that fails us too. What else can I say, 75-80% is good enough for me.

I can recommend a DTV 1000 aerial. Long story but have ended up with one after using a satellite dish for a number of years. Picks up all the channels on freeview with extremely little fallout and that only seems to happen occasionally when its blowing a real hoolie

We'll forgive me but I have used these extensively for decades and they are simply pants.

Er, if they're so bad, why have you used them for so long? Sorry, that statement made me chuckle.

We've got an ultra weak signal aerial for £24.99 from Wilko and it seems fine. As long as you point it in vaguely the right direction, the telly works.

We travel nearly all of the system every year, and I would estimate that we get a perfectly good Freeview signal on the Omnimax about 75-80% of the time. Of course if I spent all my time somewhere like the southern end of the S&W canal that would be 0%, or if I spent all my time here in Milton Keynes that would be 100%. We do also carry a log periodic for those few occasions when the Omnimax fails us, and a satellite dish for when that fails us too. What else can I say, 75-80% is good enough for me.

I concur. Over the last few years, travelling extensively, the OMNIMAX has served us well. We use the booster and can only think of a handful of occasions when we failed to get service. This replaced a sat system, which almost caused a divorce!

Screwed a magnetic plate atop the cratch board, plonk the aerial on this and then tune in from within the boat via the telly. No standing in the rain twiddling the dish.

Er, if they're so bad, why have you used them for so long?

Because quite simply we had a succession of caravans that came with them and in a way felt obliged to use the things because they were touted as being so good. Each time we got a new 'van we expected it to work well, needless to say it didn't so we reverted to the 'traditional' pole mounted one we bought after the first one proved to be useless.

We recently ditched Sky at home and went with B.T. This was mainly because the the Rugby is now mainly on BT sport and the package was a lot cheaper.

So back to using the roof mounted aerial.

The picture quality was not good on some stations, with pixilation. The diagnosis surprised me. The signal was too strong! Fitting an attenuator sorted this.

Now the digital changeover is complete Omni aerials work well again. Just try a cheap non amplified one with a magnetic base. You may be surprised how good they can be. I have a cheap one off ebay and a masthead amplified log aerial, I hardly get the log out these days.

I know it all depends on signal strength but so far I have always had perfect results with my sub £10 log periodic on a 3 foot pole. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310418868645?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As an aside, the contractor who services the TV equipment at work reckons that you can loose up to half your signal strength by using a cheap and nasty co-ax lead. Just his opinion of course, but the lead he made for me works fine.

Er, if they're so bad, why have you used them for so long? Sorry, that statement made me chuckle.

We've got an ultra weak signal aerial for £24.99 from Wilko and it seems fine. As long as you point it in vaguely the right direction, the telly works.

They were used so long because they were very good, but with the transfer to digital transmissions their performance dropped off drastically, which is why none of the caravan makers now fit them, but use log periodic aerials instead.

They were used so long because they were very good, but with the transfer to digital transmissions their performance dropped off drastically, which is why none of the caravan makers now fit them, but use log periodic aerials instead.

Their performance didn't drop at all with the transfer to digital. Before they switched off the analogue transmitters, the digital transmitters ran at low power so the signal was weaker, which resulted in poor performance in poor signal areas. During that interim period I too changed to using a log periodic on the boat. But as soon as the switch over was complete, and the digital transmitters were ramped up to full power, I changed back to using the Omni max.

"As an aside, the contractor who services the TV equipment at work reckons that you can loose up to half your signal strength by using a cheap and nasty co-ax lead. Just his opinion of course, but the lead he made for me works fine. "

I can wholeheartedly confirm that using a good co-ax (and properly terminating / sealing out the weather) will reap rewards for the long term. Pointless spending good money on aerials if you waste significant signal on a poor / cheap coax.

Nick

• Greenie 1

Their performance didn't drop at all with the transfer to digital. Before they switched off the analogue transmitters, the digital transmitters ran at low power so the signal was weaker, which resulted in poor performance in poor signal areas. During that interim period I too changed to using a log periodic on the boat. But as soon as the switch over was complete, and the digital transmitters were ramped up to full power, I changed back to using the Omni max.

I can only go on what we have found, and reports from all our caravanning friends, Alan.

We now don't bother taking the TV with us!

I bought a Mercury with amplifier off Amazon last year, and have no complaints. With a 3ft pole on a mag mount, it is directional, but usually manages a reasonable amount of Freeview channels.Mostly, I get upwards of 150. They are now about £25.