Montgomery Canal news

Graham Davis

Featured Posts

Excellent news, not sure if Y Trallwng or Llangollen are nearer to me but the wharf facilities in Welshpool are ready for boats and have been for a few years, if only they could extend the W&LC down to the canal it would be perfect.

3rd pic down for the wharf...

http://www.montgomerycanal.free-online.co.uk/Welshpool.htm

I'm not sure that's an announcement of money, is it? "A plan has now been agreed for the work, which is set to cost £30 million" doesn't necessarily mean they've got the £30m... sadly!

ah bugger I think you may be right

Agree with Richard here. As I understand it, there is a plan, but it doesn't say where the money will come from. There are three (I think) dropped road crossings which will be very expensive to deal with and the Highways are not keen.

The real problem is the remaining unrestored English length for which there is no money :-( or local authority will to do. There is progress and volunteers are pushing ahead as fast as their very limited funds will allow, but there is still a good length of several miles to go before the welsh border is reached.

According to the Shropshire Star

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2016/02/10/montgomery-canal-restoration-bid-to-cost-about-30-million/

The main bulk of this costing will be spread as follows:

£8.8 million for building nature reserves

£5 million to dredge canal and protect canal banks

£5 million for restoration Morton to Llanymynech and a new road bridge

£1.6 million to restore Vyrnwy Aqueduct and new lift bridge there

£3.75 million for new canal between Ardleen and Four Crosses with new lock£8.8 million for building nature reserves.

It is interesting to reflect that the part in need of urgent restoration is only 5 million, but nearly ( million is required for Nature Reserves?

That the section between Ardleem (or Ardd-Lin) and Four Crosses is also important as this section does need improvement. Why would a new lock be needed though?

Ray Shill

According to the Shropshire Star

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2016/02/10/montgomery-canal-restoration-bid-to-cost-about-30-million/

The main bulk of this costing will be spread as follows:

£8.8 million for building nature reserves

£5 million to dredge canal and protect canal banks

£5 million for restoration Morton to Llanymynech and a new road bridge

£1.6 million to restore Vyrnwy Aqueduct and new lift bridge there

£3.75 million for new canal between Ardleen and Four Crosses with new lock£8.8 million for building nature reserves.

It is interesting to reflect that the part in need of urgent restoration is only 5 million, but nearly ( million is required for Nature Reserves?

That the section between Ardleem (or Ardd-Lin) and Four Crosses is also important as this section does need improvement. Why would a new lock be needed though?

Ray Shill

Would a large part of the £9million be for purchasing land for the nature reserves?

Why would a new lock be needed though?

My guess would be that in order to avoid disrupting the A483 (which the canal is at the level as, and once had bridges over the canal), a lock will be added to lower the canal to pass under the road.