No spring rush on the Nene.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Sunny Saturday, but no boats. Passed no moving boats between Peterborough and Alwalton. Have been moored at Alwalton since two o'clock and not a single boat has passed. Guillotine was dry when we arrived, so I guess none passed before either. It may have woken up in canal land, but around here the waterway is still asleep. Rather nice, actually.

MP.

Sunny Saturday, but no boats. Passed no moving boats between Peterborough and Alwalton. Have been moored at Alwalton since two o'clock and not a single boat has passed. Guillotine was dry when we arrived, so I guess none passed before either. It may have woken up in canal land, but around here the waterway is still asleep. Rather nice, actually.

Does not surprise me. Compared with the canal network there are FA decent places to legally moor on the Nene, and the locks are slow (even the electric ones), so it makes it no so attractive to people.

Having said that I would recommend it but take care to plan where you intend to stop and have a back-up plan to (and if that fails never mind the rules and use a lock mooring 'cause there's very few other boat about anyway.)

Edited by Tiggs

Does not surprise me. Compared with the canal network there are FA decent places to legally moor on the Nene, and the locks are slow (even the electric ones), so it makes it no so attractive to people.

Having said that I would recommend it but take care to plan where you intend to stop and have a back-up plan to (and if that fails never mind the rules and use a lock mooring 'cause there's very few other boat about anyway.

Crap post of the day award.

How do you think those of us that keep our boats on the Nene get on?

As for mooring on a lock landing? Expect an annoyed of Corby to be a bit prickly with you!

If you do insist on being so selfish use the downstream landing stage.

The signs are there prohibiting mooring on landing stages but I guess like lots of signage it doesn't apply to certain people.

:(

MP.

It will pick up soon with the great escape from the canals 'To Do the Great Ouse'

Usually we see an increase back end of April beginning of May, along with more dog crap around Titchmarsh Lock :(

PS MP,

An empty Alwalton is a fine place indeed :)

MP.

Fuel boat Bletchley went through Alwalton about 3 pm friday and returned saturday morining up river to Oundle, didnt see you.

They must all have been in Upwell. As we drove along the mile between the village centre and our house yesterday afternoon, we spotted two narrowboats moored at the staithe, one heading towards it and a Fox's day boat on its way back to base. That counts as frenzied activity round these parts.

Fuel boat Bletchley went through Alwalton about 3 pm friday and returned saturday morining up river to Oundle, didnt see you.

So we weren't the only boat on Saturday! Good. We didn't emerge from Stanground 'till 11, so were behind you as you went upstream.

As I write there's a tupperware descending the lock.

An empty Alwalton is a fine place indeed smile.png

It is. If they'd just move the A1 a couple of fields further west, it would be perfect.

Having said that I would recommend it but take care to plan where you intend to stop and have a back-up plan to (and if that fails never mind the rules and use a lock mooring 'cause there's very few other boat about anyway.

That tends to annoy people. We've only ever done it once, at Wadenhoe, which has two landings, when bad light stopped play.

The best solution is a couple of mud-weights, then you can easily find somewhere to stop.

MP.

BTW, for anyone coming this way. The passage past the shoal below the lock has changed back to the original position, ie creep past close to the bank _away_ from the sluice. This is much better then the last couple of years, when you had to go in close to the sluice to get round the shallows. It takes close perusal of the navigation notice to work out which side to go. I don't know why the EA have stopped using red/green buoys, which actually give you this information, and are marking shoals with yellow buoys.

MP.

The best solution is a couple of mud-weights, then you can easily find somewhere to stop.

MP.

Yes, I was going to ask. Are you allowed to drop an anchor and moor up for the night or do landowners' Riperian Rights prevent this?

As "ripa" means "bank", if you're moored away from the bank it should not concern the adjoining landowners.

Yes, but "Riperian Rights" means that the landowners adjacent to the river bank actually own the riverbed itself to the centre of the river - not just the bank.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/454562/LIT_7114.pdf

The first bullet point in Section 2 explains that "If your land boundary is next to a watercourse it is assumed you own the land up to the centre of the watercourse, unless it is owned by someone else."

So my question is could a Riperian landowner justifiably object to boaters anchoring on their river bed, or are Riperian Rights trumped by navigational rights allowing boats to anchor on a private river bed?

I honestly don't know, and I also don't know whether the landowners adjacent to the Nene actually have Riperian Rights in the first place like they do on some other rivers? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could inform us.

Edited by Claude

Yes, but "Riperian Rights" means that the landowners adjacent to the river bank actually own the riverbed itself to the centre of the river - not just the bank.

So my question is could the landowner justifiably object to boaters anchoring on their river bed, or are Riperian Rights trumped by navigational rights allowing boats to anchor on a private river bed?

I honestly don't know, and I also don't know whether the landowners adjacent to the Nene actually have Riperian Rights in the first place like they do on some other rivers? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could inform us.

I have riparian rights.

I have riparian rights.

huh.png

So you own land adjacent to a river? Well done you!

As a Riperian landowner who's interested in the waterways it surprises me somewhat that you didn't already understand the issues of Riperian Rights extending to the river bed and not just the bank. Anyway at least now you know!

huh.png

As a Riperian landowner who's interested in the waterways it surprises me somewhat that you didn't already understand the issues of Riperian Rights extending to the river bed and not just the bank. Anyway at least now you know!

I think Athy was having a gentle dig at you over riparian rights.

• Greenie 1

huh.png

Perhaps I already did. Perhaps I know what they're called.

Yes, in my avatar that's our boat moored outside our house. Thank you.

That tends to annoy people. We've only ever done it once, at Wadenhoe, which has two landings, when bad light stopped play.

MP.

Yes it does annoy. And it annoyed us the one time we had to do it too, (actually we took a line to the end of the mooring and another to the bank, leaving room to put crew off etc). But this proves my point - that you had to do it too - about the amount of and the distance between legal moorings on this river.

I don't think I would trust mud-weight to secure the boat if the river flow increased during the night and it would be tricky to get the dog on an off the boat too.

I don't know what the problem is with moorings, unless its signposted no mooring then all bank is fair game. Yes there are lots of reeds but that's not a problem if you know how to deal with it.

Perhaps I already did. Perhaps I know what they're called.

Or perhaps you didn't...

You certainly didn't seem to be aware that Riperian landowners rights extended the river bed in your previous post. You said (and I paraphrase) that since the boat would be anchored away from the bank there were no issues as far as the landowner is concerned.

So if I got the wrong impression from your post I can hardly be blamed for that.

So my question is could a Riperian landowner justifiably object to boaters anchoring on their river bed,

I don't think so. Legally, we own the river bed up to half way across our 48 feet of Old Nene frontage. We can moor a boat here, we could fish from our garden if we were sad enough. But we have no right to stop boats going through our bit of river. By the same token, I don't think we could object to a boat mooring on it, as long as he wasn't impeding us from mooring beside our garden. I certainly would not object.

It works both ways. We are not required to contribute towards the maintenance of our bit of river: MLC have just dredged the stretch around us and we haven't been sent a bill.

Or perhaps you didn't...

You certainly didn't seem to be aware that Riperian landowners rights extended the river bed in your previous post. You said (and I paraphrase) that since the boat would be anchored away from the bank there were no issues as far as the landowner is concerned.

So if I got the wrong impression from your post I can hardly be blamed for that.

If one of us doesn't know what they're called, it certainly isn't me.

Now, exactly what point are you trying to make? Is there one?

Keep digging Claude

Well I wasn't the one lecturing on the definition of "ripe" in the first place (and misunderstanding the issues). I've nothing against ignorance. We can't all know everything, but I do object to people who pretend to know more than they actually do.

I don't think so. Legally, we own the river bed up to half way across our 48 feet of Old Nene frontage. We can moor a boat here, we could fish from our garden if we were sad enough. But we have no right to stop boats going through our bit of river. By the same token, I don't think we could object to a boat mooring on it, as long as he wasn't impeding us from mooring beside our garden. I certainly would not object.

It works both ways. We are not required to contribute towards the maintenance of our bit of river: MLC have just dredged the stretch around us and we haven't been sent a bill.

If one of us doesn't know what they're called, it certainly isn't me.

Now, exactly what point are you trying to make? Is there one?

What what's called? I was just asking a question. What point are you trying to make?