*CALLING FOR PARTICIPANTS IN KING'S CROSS, BATTLEBRIDGE BASIN & ST PANCRAS*

Mandy T

Featured Posts

Hello there!

I am a friendly masters student doing a study of the boat communities on Regent's Canal in London. I'm interested in people's experiences living on boats and their opinion on the maintenance of the canal these days.

This research will NOT be published and participants' names will not be used in the report.

Please comment here/PM if you are interested in participating or share the post if you know someone mooring in the areas stated above smile.png

Many thanks,

Mandy

Edited by Mandy T

Welcome.

Whoops, sorry, welcome.

Hi Athy thank you very much for your interest. Can I swing by later today for a quick 10min chat by any chance? :)

If you haven't tried you need to go to the London Boaters Facebook page but be warned they get many such requests

Tim

Thank you very much for the advice Tim! Request is pending...

Hi Athy thank you very much for your interest. Can I swing by later today for a quick 10min chat by any chance? smile.png

Well, you could, but I don't moor in the London area, so I think I would be outside the compass of your research.

Hello there!

I am a friendly masters student carrying out an ethnographic study of the communities in the above moorings in London. I'm interested in different understandings of canal heritage from the boaters' perspectives as well as issues that concern the wider communities' well-being. This research will NOT be published and all participants will be FULLY anonymised. (However, if the final result has potentials in raising cruisers' voices to the public and making positive changes, I will make sure to draw additional consents from participants)

Please comment here if you are interested in participating or share the post if you know someone mooring in the areas stated above smile.png This is most warmly appreciated, and I will do my best to repay in chocolate if nothing else!

Many thanks,

Mandy

(*********)

**** Mandy, I edited out your telephone number; ask people to contact your via the open forum or messaging system, please. Good luck with your work, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it.****

Are others here who like me, didn't understand a word of that?

Yes but if I was a London boater I might

Ah is it couched in Londonspeke then? I took it for 'educationspeke', or possibly even 'socialservicesspeke'. Or 'professionalspeke' of some sort.

The thing is, although all the words have individual meanings, collectively for me they go into my furry brain and straight out again without communicating an overall message. It's probably because I am a plumber. :)

Ah is it couched in Londonspeke then? I took it for 'educationspeke', or possibly even 'socialservicesspeke'. Or 'professionalspeke' of some sort.

The thing is, although all the words have individual meanings, collectively for me they go into my furry brain and straight out again without communicating an overall message. It's probably because I am a plumber. smile.png

Doesen't Londonspeke cover all of them?

I've changed the description folks. Hope it makes sense! Yes do spare a second-language speaker please smile.png

Well frankly, I'm surprised English is not your first language, you write very well.

What is it though? American? :)

There are three different boating communities in the area, I think.

In Battlebridge Basin, there are liveaboard boaters on residential moorings. The Canal Museum have the contact details of several of them, so it could be worthwhile talking to them. These are likely to be your professional type people, as these moorings aren't cheap!

In St Pancras, at the cruising club, there are no liveaboards I think; instead, the boats are for occasional cruising use. A very different community, I would guess.

Then, out on the towpath, there's the Continuously Cruising community. They don't have moorings, and have to move around every 14 days or so. There aren't that many facilities or enough space (hence the two narrowboats and a widebeam, and the triple moored narrowboats opposite Battlebridge. Because they move and are transient, they will not always be there; there is a changing population of people, so a very different community. However, they probably don't stay in the same area, so you may well find you have to go elsewhere for follow up interviews.

Hello there!

I am a friendly masters student doing a study of the boat communities on Regent's Canal in London. I'm interested in people's experiences living on boats and their opinion on the maintenance of the canal these days.

This research will NOT be published and participants' names will not be used in the report.

Please comment here/PM if you are interested in participating or share the post if you know someone mooring in the areas stated above smile.png

Many thanks,

Mandy

More seriously though, I'd like to take part in your research but I don't live on the Regents.

Why out of interest have you limited your research to the Regents canal? It probably only represents barely 1% of the canals in the UK.

And what is your reason for choosing to research boat communities on the Regents? Explaining your motivations in a bit more detail might be helpful. I'd find it interesting having never even done a degree, let alone a masters!

Then, out on the towpath, there's the Continuously Cruising community. They don't have moorings, and have to move around every 14 days or so.

Very subtly put!

(Incoming!...........)

Re Mike The Boilerman:

Thank you very much for raising the points!

I would love to be do a bigger survey and talk to boat communities all around England and the UK. Trouble is I only a total of 4 weeks to finish this paper. This is why I am focusing on the Regent's Canal because it is close-ish to where I live and therefore more accessible on a daily basis...And I'm particularly interested in King's Cross area because of the insane amount of housing developments going on there. I was curious whether these developments (and the tourist industry generated by it) affect the boat community in positive/negative ways...

For instance, I spoke to a boater mooring near King's Cross and she told me about a local lady who complained about the boaters...and this resulted in the Canal & River Trust removing some 50ft of mooring space. This kind of story needs to be raised because there are clearly misunderstandings of what the boat community is like. And this is why I want to chat to boaters in person and see if you have similar experiences you want to share.

Still, very grateful for your interest. May I ask where you are mooring at the moment?

(About the avatar - it's actually in Brixton, not Tate Modern, haha...)

Re Mike The Boilerman:

I would love to be do a bigger survey and talk to boat communities all around England and the UK. Trouble is I only a total of 4 weeks to finish this paper. This is why I am focusing on the Regent's Canal because it is close-ish to where I live and therefore more accessible on a daily basis...And I'm particularly interested in King's Cross area because of the insane amount of housing developments going on there. I was curious whether these developments (and the tourist industry generated by it) affect the boat community in positive/negative ways...

For instance, I spoke to a boater mooring near King's Cross and she told me about a local lady who complained about the boaters...and this resulted in the Canal & River Trust removing some 50ft of mooring space. This kind of story needs to be raised because there are clearly misunderstandings of what the boat community is like. And this is why I want to chat to boaters in person and see if you have similar experiences you want to share.

Still, very grateful for your interest. May I ask where you are mooring at the moment?

Re Mike The Boilerman:

Ah I see. Four weeks seems an insanely short deadline when you get to my age! (11 going on 60...).

My perspective says the housing development is caused by the high value of accommodation, which in turn is causing the boating communities you seek to understand.

I doubt this helps you gain much more insight, given the amount of alcohol consumed prior to writing it!