lost engine oil

Featured Posts

Apologies if anyone is teaching you to suck eggs... On the side of your engine (if it is per the old Beta manual I have here) there should be should be a brass hand pump for draining the oil. On the bottom of that should be a valve, and then a flexible hose running to an elbow on the bottom of the sump. To drain the oil the usual process is to open the valve and work the hand pump to pump the oil into a container, then close the valve. The pump may have a screw cap in the outlet, you'll need to remove that before pumping out the oil if there is one!

If your engine really is empty of oil, that hose may have split. Mine (on a BV1305) wore a small hole against the engine frame, and was a complete pig to replace. That seems the most likely thing to check, along with making sure that the hose is still securely attached to the elbow (and the elbow to the sump). I suggest you check that the engine really is empty by first trying to pump out some oil, in case it is full above the dipstick level - 9 litres is an awful lot in an engine designed to take about 5 litres.

If it really is empty, clean up the oil under the engine, and if there is nothing obvious add some fresh oil to the engine and see where it comes out. If you put some kitchen roll or blue industrial wipe under the engine it will make it easier to see where any drips are, but if you really have lost 9 litres in a very short time it should be pretty obvious where it is coming out.

You did put the oil in the right filler hole? And not the coolant filler :(

Edited by AndrewIC

Apologies if anyone is teaching you to suck eggs... On the side of your engine (if it is per the old Beta manual I have here) there should be should be a brass hand pump for draining the oil. On the bottom of that should be a valve, and then a flexible hose running to an elbow on the bottom of the sump. To drain the oil the usual process is to open the valve and work the hand pump to pump the oil into a container, then close the valve. The pump may have a screw cap in the outlet, you'll need to remove that before pumping out the oil if there is one!

If your engine really is empty of oil, that hose may have split. Mine (on a BV1305) wore a small hole against the engine frame, and was a complete pig to replace. That seems the most likely thing to check, along with making sure that the hose is still securely attached to the elbow (and the elbow to the sump). I suggest you check that the engine really is empty by first trying to pump out some oil, in case it is full above the dipstick level - 9 litres is an awful lot in an engine designed to take about 5 litres.

If it really is empty, clean up the oil under the engine, and if there is nothing obvious add some fresh oil to the engine and see where it comes out. If you put some kitchen roll or blue industrial wipe under the engine it will make it easier to see where any drips are, but if you really have lost 9 litres in a very short time it should be pretty obvious where it is coming out.

You did put the oil in the right filler hole? And not the coolant filler sad.png

I wondered about that. Must have changed our oil about 30 times on our boat no problem, but one time found myself about to pour oil into the coolant filler cap!

I wondered about that. Must have changed our oil about 30 times on our boat no problem, but one time found myself about to pour oil into the coolant filler cap!

I occasionally catch myself putting the tea back in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard...

You did put the oil in the right filler hole? And not the coolant filler sad.png

That valve tap needs to be on the actual sump ''like they were years ago'' before the flexible tube and pump or a tap at both locations. Many of these inland waterways engine marinizers haven't a clue these days

I found myself wondering why the toothpaste out of the toothpaste pump tasted like liquid soap out of the liquid soap dispenser...

Oh, and that. Never try to clean your teeth with Savlon. And when you fancy a coffee and grab the jar with the red lid, check that you didn't just make a nice cup of Bisto. <Sigh> It's an age thing....

I once took a teaspoon of butter to stir into my coffee, one very early morning. Can't blame that one on age, I was 21 at the time!

Don't they stir butter into tea in Tibet?

Edit- Google says yes. Yak butter!

Edited by FadeToScarlet

In India the Sikhs in the Punjab cook tea. They bung everything in a pot, tea, milk, sugar the lot and cook it for ages.
Goodness gracious me, boom diddi, boom diddi, boom diddi, boom diddi, boom diddi, boom diddi, boom boom boom.

Hank Williams had this kinda problem.................

"Howlin' At The Moon"

I know there's never been a man in the awful shape I'm in
I can't even spell my name, my heads in such a spin
To-day I tried to eat a steak with a big old table-spoon
You got me chasin' Rabbits, walkin' on my hands
...And Howlin' At The Moon.

Well, I took one look at you and it almost drove me mad
And then I even went and lost what little sense I had
Now I can't tell the day from night, I'm crazy as a loon
You got me chasin' Rabbits, pullin' out my hair and Howlin' At The Moon.

Some friends of mine asked me to go out on a huntin' spree
'Cause there ain't a hound dog in this state that can hold a light to me
I eat three bones for dinner today, then tried to tree a 'Coon
You got me chasin' Rabbits, scratchin' fleas and Howlin' At The Moon.

I rode my horse to town to day and a gas pump we did pass
I pulled 'im up and I hollered WHOA!, said fill 'im up with gas
The man picked up a monkey wrench and WHAM!, he changed my tune
You got me chasin' Rabbits, spittin' out teeth and Howlin' At The Moon.

I never thought in this old world a fool could fall so hard
But honey baby, when I fell the whole world must have jarred
I think I'd quit my doggish ways if you'd take me for your groom
You got me chasin Rabbits, pickin' out rings and Howlin' At The Moon