NEC Boat,caravan & Outdoor show

zimmer4me

Featured Posts

Just got back from NEC and have to say for boaters you are better off with Crick!

and half the price.

It was pretty busy but considering the location and the word"boat" coming first in the show title I was disappointed with the general turn out of Inland Waterways related displays.

If I see another motor home or caravan again I think I will scream!

The amount of caravan displays to anything else was disproportionate so I would not recommend it if you are into Narrowboating.

Did take a good look over the New Boat Co displays though and enjoyed chatting with Liverpool boat staff.

We came away still liking the "sandpiper" fully fitted best and it remains on a our wish list for the moment.

Anyone else go ? or have any views on the show ? (maybe its just me getting old and crusty and too picky :-) )

regards

JK

Edited by zimmer4me

I've been the last 4 years but only because it was near to, or enroute to my boat. It has never been very good for narrow boaters, but last year was the worst, even BW were not there. I assumued that they were going to concentrate on the London Boat show, Crick, and the IWA national.

I'm not planning to go this year unless I hear that it's better than last year, but your report is not encouraging,

Phil

I've been the last 4 years but only because it was near to, or enroute to my boat. It has never been very good for narrow boaters, but last year was the worst, even BW were not there. I assumued that they were going to concentrate on the London Boat show, Crick, and the IWA national.

I'm not planning to go this year unless I hear that it's better than last year, but your report is not encouraging,

Phil

Hi Phil....cant say I saw BW or IWA stands today...so was quite poor..guess I may not have gone If I had posted this earlier for opinions (It was my first time to that show)

Thanks will stick to Crick (went last year first time) and the National (Not been to yet)

Regards

JK

Went to the show today, not a great deal on display for the narrowboaters and I became trapped in motorhome hell for about an hour trying to find my way to the boat section!

Wonderful display on the way in...'try your hand at towing a caravan'..rather chop my own arms off than be seen doing that!

Did however buy a new water pump for £170, one of the new processor controlled jobbies that don't need an accumulator. Will fit it later this week, be interesting to see if it's any good, and more importantly quieter than my sureflow.

Regards

Andy.

I went and spent a fun 5 hours looking at the boat section.

by the way was the protestor there holding up the "google houseboat eviction" notice? today

you've reminded me to do just that.

oh and P.S the IWA were there (I bought a pearsons) but BW didn't seem to be.

Oh and did anyone catch the horrible wheelhouse on the castaway?

Got a lift up to the NEC with some friends today and left the boat behind.

I didn't expect too much inland-wise and I wasn't disappointed.

On the positive side, the show didn't seem very busy to me and it was nice to be able to talk to a few familiar suppliers without having to elbow your way on to their stands. Suppliers like Isuzu, Mastervolt, Eberspacher, Caldwells, Marine Mart, IWA, Whale Pumps, Dometic, Maxview, Waeco, Webasto, etc are all there.

There are four of five NB builders there i.e. Lees, Liverpool Boats, Severn, etc.

I managed to get some new Nic books and a couple of fenders, I saw a nice 15m mooring rope with an eye spliced and was thinking of a new centre line until I saw the price tag (£63) !!

I always like looking at accessory makers who aim at the larger caravan market but whose products have an application on narrowboats e.g. bathroom fittings, lights, etc.

I did think there were a lot of touring and motor caravans and am amazed that all these competitors can stay in business.

I was also surprised that a few leading names in the NB boat building business are now building hulls in Morocco and Poland.

Wasn't impressed with the Moroccan hull; the sides were full of dints and waves.

Did however buy a new water pump for £170, one of the new processor controlled jobbies that don't need an accumulator. Will fit it later this week, be interesting to see if it's any good, and more importantly quieter than my sureflow.

Regards

Andy.

Andy

Would be interested in a report on the new pump when you have tried it out.

Does it do what it says on the box?

Thank you

I went on Tuesday and because of what I had read on the forum I didn't have high expectations but I was pleasantly surprised, spent four hours or more there, lots to see. The major difference from the likes of Crick was that there were no endless queues to look at everything, 4 or 5 people at most as opposed to 30 or 40 at Crick. I will admit that there was not as much to look at as Crick but if you are a bit broad minded and went and had a look at the static caravans you would be gobsmacked at the quality versus price, I was, If I found a site next to the canal I could seriously think about buying one!

Another thing of great surprise to me was the improvement in quality of the Liverpool Boats/New Boat Co offerings. A couple of years ago when we were looking for a builder we had a look at these and went away laughing - they were dire. Not so now, they are very impressive for the money and have a really passable joinery standard in fact if I were looking now I would be talking to them seriously.

It is strange that standards can change so much in that time because Severn Valley whom we were interested in two years ago have imho gone the other way and are now way behind New Boat Co. Incidentally the reason we didn't choose Severn Valley (looks like a good decision now!) was because despite spending a couple of hours with us on a Saturday morning discussing our needs they never bothered to send an estimate! If that is their pre-order service what would their after-sales be like?

And as for Lees offering :):):)

Viking,

i totally agree with you. I took me old pops down to see the quality as he is a welder. he was well impressed with the New Boat company. I liked the Severn boat but the interior finish was not good comparing finish quality and cost with New Boat Co.

We went on Monday and I was only a little disappointed. It made a change to be able to see the boats without having to queue for ages - and I was also impressed by the New Boat Company, it confounded my expectations!

I thought the Severn Valley boat was a little uninspiring. Dull.