Henhull moorings

dogless

Featured Posts

Out of pure nosiness, I wonder if anyone knows about the Henhull long term moorings, just north of Nantwich.

We cruised by yesterday and were discussing them. They seem fairly empty at present, but it is a very pleasant location and not far from Nantwich, which is a lovely town.

However, we couldn't see any access to the offside moorings, other than across the canal, and there was no obvious sign of water or electric on the moorings.

Anybody know about them ? Are they private or C&RT ? As I said it's purely nosiness thanks,

Rog

Out of pure nosiness, I wonder if anyone knows about the Henhull long term moorings, just north of Nantwich.

We cruised by yesterday and were discussing them. They seem fairly empty at present, but it is a very pleasant location and not far from Nantwich, which is a lovely town.

However, we couldn't see any access to the offside moorings, other than across the canal, and there was no obvious sign of water or electric on the moorings.

Anybody know about them ? Are they private or C&RT ? As I said it's purely nosiness thanks,

Rog

They are CRT moorings, access via a tender which can be stored in a private car park on the towpath side of the canal,

No facilities that im aware of, nice moorings I did look at bidding on one a few years ago but it wasn't close enough to work

I have a mooring there.

It is very pleasant.

You need a means of getting across the canal as there is no legal other access.

I use a small 1.5 person dinghy.

You need to be fit in consequence.

I keep it in the car park locked up to the security cable provided.

The car park is ample.

There are 2 water points for use by the mooring holders.

There is rubbish collection.

The canal-side gate is a combination lock.

The car park has a locked (nominally) gate.

Mooring rings are provided.

The depth seems good to me.

There is a step (the Shroppie shelf) on the moorings side as elsewhere.

This is bigger for some of the moorers than others.

I use full size floating car wheels. I lurve wheels (not tyres, they take the blacking off).

The canal is quite wide.

At some points on the mooring wide enough to wind a fullsize boat (!) but this is frowned upon as there is a very big official winding hole just outside the moorings to the north.

With my wheels I don't notice people passing no matter what their speed unless:

1. They are coming close by to peer into my windows (it happens!).

2. They hit me (none so far but day boats have come close).

As a jumping off point for trips it is very good with the Llangollen just half a mile away

Full services including CART showers, chandlery and fry-ups are available at Nantwich, half an hour to the south.

I think user "dor" of this parish moors there.

I do indeed, and have done for most of the last 25 years.

To me it is an excellent mooring. I'm on the wider part and tie up properly so am not bothered by passing boats. The facilities are as described by 4-50 and better than a lot of CRT online moorings. It is pleasant enough that sometimes we just stop on the mooring for a few days, we keep our bit of grass cut and one benefit of being on the offside is that you don't get people walking past.

You need to be moderately fit to be able to handle a small dinghy but it really isn't that challenging. Another benefit is that it is on a long pound so you can cruise to different places for a night or two without having to worry about queuing at locks (some of the locks do get very busy). The three ends of the pound all have winding holes before the locks. Can also cruise to Nantwich in less than half an hour.

PM me if you want more information. There is certainly space on the mooring, but there may be a limit to how many boats C&RT want there.

Up-to-date contact details:

MOORING TEAM REORGANISATION

I am writing to advise you of the recent change in the Canal & River Trust National Mooring team structure.

The site your craft is currently moored at now forms part of the Central Region. The Mooring Manager role has been split and I will be concentrating my efforts on the Sales and Customer Service side of the business, whilst Keith Wright, who you may know already, has taken over responsibility for all Maintenance issues at the site.

I have worked for the organisation for the past 19 years and will continue to be based at the Newark Office. Keith is based at our Fazeley Office in Tamworth.

If you need to get in touch, here’s a quick reminder of the telephone numbers. My mobile number is 07747 897784. Our Customer Services number is 0303 0404040. The out of office hours Emergency number is 0345 4799947.

Please do contact me if you have any mooring issue you wish to discuss.

Yours sincerely

Mrs Sandie Dunstan

Mooring Sales Manager

Thank you for your replies. They do look like very peaceful moorings, however my skills (or rather lack of) in a rowing boat would provide lots of entertainment to other residents. I know we are an island nation, with a proud Naval tradition, but somehow those genes seem to have passed me by.

Thanks again

Rog

Edited by dogless

There are also tow path side moorings 'for Henhull permit holders only' all the along that stretch. Never seen a boat moored. What's that all about. Do Henhill own the tow path?

AIUI if you want you load the boat up with large items etc, you can row over then be assured a mooring on the towpath to facilitate this.

No rowing ability is required! My dinghy has no rowlocks! (and no oars).

I pull the dinghy on its line along the bank until I'm opposite my boat.

I get into the dinghy and can get it to the other side with 3 swipes of the piece of wood I use as a paddle.

If I have any goods to load I move the boat to the car park side ( where a section of the bank is reserved by CRT for us to do this) and load it while I'm loading water.

The main challenge is you have to be comfortable with climbing into and out of the dinghy.

AIUI if you want you load the boat up with large items etc, you can row over then be assured a mooring on the towpath to facilitate this.

I'm a bit surprised that some of the "I can moor up anywhere for as long as I like and there's nothing in the law to stop me" brigade haven't threatened to take BW/CRT to court over this...

• Greenie 1

I'm a bit surprised that some of the "I can moor up anywhere for as long as I like and there's nothing in the law to stop me" brigade haven't threatened to take BW/CRT to court over this...

don't go giving people ideas!

We do sometimes get someone mooring up there but if they stop for more than a day or two the enforcement people generally move them on. Also they tend not to like people crashing into them and climbing over their boat to get to the car park.

ETA: I endorse 4-50's comments about using a dinghy. Very easy to paddle across using a bit of plywood nailed onto a bit of 2x1 as a paddle. I've only been dunked once in 25 years getting into the dinghy, and that was because I was so cross about leaving my phone behind and I was a little over-enthusiastic jumping into the dinghy.

Edited by dor

Actually, it would be useful if there as a notice somewhere along there explaining why the moorings are reserved. I spent twenty years on the Shroppie and could never understand why I couldn't moor up there!

I'm pretty sure there is. I don't moor there but am aware of the space allocated to Henhull moorers.

I'm pretty sure there is. I don't moor there but am aware of the space allocated to Henhull moorers.

I know it's reserved - I just never understood why till now. I could never see why they had al that space at their moorings and still needed the same amount the other side!

I think the signs say ' reserved for Henhull moorers only' or similar,

but I don't believe they actually explain the situation.

Mind you they'd have to be a lot bigger to fit all this information on.

Rog

I know it's reserved - I just never understood why till now. I could never see why they had al that space at their moorings and still needed the same amount the other side!

dor will confirm, but I think there's towpath length for approx 2 boats actually reserved. The other towpath areas opposite the moorings are normal, and I've seen boats moored there before (and its a reasonably nice spot to stop at anyway).

dor will confirm, but I think there's towpath length for approx 2 boats actually reserved. The other towpath areas opposite the moorings are normal, and I've seen boats moored there before (and its a reasonably nice spot to stop at anyway).

You are more or less correct Paul. At one time there were just three rings. A few years ago I managed to persuade them to put a couple more (moor?) in. Still only really room for two boats, three at a push, but it is enough as long as people don't stop on them too long.

No rowing ability is required! My dinghy has no rowlocks! (and no oars).

I pull the dinghy on its line along the bank until I'm opposite my boat.

I get into the dinghy and can get it to the other side with 3 swipes of the piece of wood I use as a paddle.

If I have any goods to load I move the boat to the car park side ( where a section of the bank is reserved by CRT for us to do this) and load it while I'm loading water.

The main challenge is you have to be comfortable with climbing into and out of the dinghy.

I once had an offside mooring with no access and no towpath side storage for a dinghy. The only way to reach it was to carry an inflatable dinghy with me, which I used to blow up on the towpath so I could paddle across. I didn't stay there long!

I often think that general area, near Barbridge Junction, has to be one of the best locations on the whole system for a leisure boater wanting a home mooring with a variety of cruising options on its proverbial doorstep. Between Chester, Llangollen, the Four Counties Ring, the Cheshire Ring and the Weaver, you really wouldn't have to worry about being stuck doing the same old stretch if you only had a week or two's holiday.