Board Games ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

trouble with trivial pursuit is questions can be so out of date on some topics and also one player normally so much brainer than tother meaning my one question and wrong answer sees me sit n wait whilst tother person answers the next zillion right..boring...

I think me and dad might be a bit juiced if we're playing board games patty, tother person maybe more so. Hehe

Have you seen pushing point on TV thats really good, it's like push a penny. Lol

Edited by GreyLady

Magictime has some great suggestions, Carcassonne is a favourite of mine, various add ons keep it fresh. Can I also post you to

http://www.boardgamegeek.com

there you will find tons of information on lots of boardgames. Things have moved on quite a bit from scrabble and monopoly cool.png

I still like a game of Scrabble, but Monopoly... good grief. I tried it again at Christmas and it is just a rotten game. Hour after hour of watching the inevitable winner very slowly pull further and further ahead while everyone else very slowly goes bankrupt.

Back in the days when I was a biology teacher, I designed and used an educational board game called "Guts", which involved travelling through the whole alimentary system from mouth to anus. I don't have the details now, but I do remember that to finish and win, you had to throw a number two.........

I still like a game of Scrabble, but Monopoly... good grief. I tried it again at Christmas and it is just a rotten game. Hour after hour of watching the inevitable winner very slowly pull further and further ahead while everyone else very slowly goes bankrupt.

That's life though all over. Ha

Their was a game called Game of Life.

I guess we all play that one for a while.

Edited by GreyLady

Backgammon. Carcassonne (I have never played it with just 2 but apparently you can). Othello (used to be called Reversi in my young days but basically the same game).

Definitely +1 for Othello. And if you develop a taste for it you could consider playing in one of the regional tournaments hosted by the British Othello Federation.

in all seriousness....

Awful Green Things From Outer Space. It's funny, relatively compact, you can play with 2 people and it doesn't last forever

Just checked that out and it looks very good, thanks for the recommendation biggrin.png

Semi serious, possibly a "Bizzard" type idea?

Why not design a canal version of Snakes an Ladders? Call it Lockgates & Ladders?

Fall off a lock gate go back 5 spaces, swim to ladder go froward 3 spaces.

Fail to tie boat up securely, miss a turn and so forth.

The winning square could possible be moor at Stoke Bruerne?

captain.gif

On the shelves at dad's house I still have "The Diddle Doddle Canal Race" - made by mum when I was about 8.

Contestants started on the River Diddle or the River Doddle and the winner was the first to the other end. There were three branches, and one had to go down all of them (unless you drew a card exempting you - mind you might alos draw a card sending you back to one you'd already been down)

The Morton three rise had to be passed in one throw of the dice, as did the Morton Aqueduct. Tunnels didn't but you couldn't pass or oovertake in them.

© Mum, so no copying!

I had great fun playing against Gyles Brandreth in the Monopoly world championship.

Did you play with the proper rules? If a player lands on a property, and doesn't buy it, it gets auctioned off to the other players. Speeds the game up massively.

Semi serious, possibly a "Bizzard" type idea?

Why not design a canal version of Snakes an Ladders? Call it Lockgates & Ladders?

Fall off a lock gate go back 5 spaces, swim to ladder go froward 3 spaces.

Fail to tie boat up securely, miss a turn and so forth.

The winning square could possible be moor at Stoke Bruerne?

captain.gif

It existed, one of the Idle Women (Kit?) made "Planks and Snubbers" to help teach the boat children to read.

My dad owns a fantastic game, I think produced by a canal trust, simply entitled "the narrowboat game". Players have a boat and a van, and must get both to the finish. Unexpected occurences force you to divert from your course, such as leaving your windlass in a pub, the boat will break down, and require the van to be present to be fixed etc. Hours of fun as a nipper.

I too recommend Carcassone, easy to learn, and unique each time. Munchkin is in a similar vein, and is card based so has an even smaller footprint. Or there's fluxx, the game where the rules change each time according to the whims of the players. I am also thinking about buying Sherif of Nottingham, a game about lying to your friends about how many crossbows you're smuggling into sell on your market stall.

Boardgamegeek is an excellent website, I find their reviews very helpful.

Not a board game, but a card game. Need more than 2 players though - Fluxx. Brilliant game and comes in various guises - Pirate Flux is one of my favourites, but several others also on the market. Never seen it in shops though, have to buy online.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Looney-Labs-045LOO-Pirate-Fluxx/dp/1936112159/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459699353&sr=8-2&keywords=fluxx+cards

One of my favourite board games is Risk. It is a game of world domination., so suits meglamaniacs like me smile.png

Thank you for reminding me of this excellent game, which I played many times in days of yore but which I had forgotten about.

and Cribbage for when we play cards

I thought cribbage was a soggy green vegetable until I discovered Smirnoff.

I think me and dad might be a bit juiced if we're playing board games patty, tother person maybe more so.

This reminds me that, years ago, Mrs. Athy and I bought a board game which described itself as "an adult drinking game". I can't remember its name. Basically if you landed on certain squares of the board you could have a drink. Super, we thought. Well, we played it only twice. The first time, we both fell asleep before the game was over, the second time we had a row about the rules. Or about something, we couldn't remember afterwards. It was soon for sale at A Boot Fair Near Us.

Inspired by this topic, I made a rare visit up to central London today and bought The Awful Green Things from Outer Space as a present to take for my grandson when I go to Canada next week (£19.99 from the Orcs' Nest). It is of course also partly a present for me because I look forward to many confrontations between the Znutar's crew and the Green Things while I'm there. A measure of the game's popularity is that second hand sets on eBay are about the same price.

My granddaughters have not been forgotten; at Wallington Asda I got cbeebies magazine (unobtainable in Canada I gather), a Frozen jigsaw and (very appropriately) Grandpa Pig's Boat Construction Set. I'm going to be Cool Grandad.

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this is a repeat, but I got Dobble for the small girl at Christmas and it pleases all ages of family and friends. It's also small enough to carry about in case of boredom emergencies.

We also like Bananagrams, which is scrabble-esque but quicker and no scores to keep.

Scrabble and backgammon for us. I have an inherited scrabble off my parents from the mid 60s with the scores written on the box lid and I'm amazed at how high their scores were. Wifey and I don't get close even with our combined scores compared my dad's individual scores.

A pack of cards, a set of dominos and a crib board. We play games for hours with our two children. Last Saturday it was pontoon using Skittles ( the sweets) as chips, and at the end you get to eat your winnings.

Like taking candy from a baby!

All those years playing cards in the mess room certainly paid off! smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired