Unpainting a windlass.

bizzard

Featured Posts

Help. I have a windlass that is an unsightly embarrassment to me. It is painted in I think Hammerite, and horrid shade of sickly green it is. But the very real worrying worry for me is for the welfare of my dear old magnet on a string which struggles like anything to latch onto it to pluck it out of a lock when I drop it in, for it struggles terribly to send its mysterious and wonderful picking up powers through the paints thickness, not to mention the added weight of the windlass caused by this awful and problematic paint.

So I and my beloved windlass need to be urgently rid of this demon paint and restore it back to its original galvanized state. So please please, please help with instructions to remove it. Thank you in advance. bizzard distressed.

• Greenie 2

I find that to rid my windlassess of unsightly green paint, my pat pending sand paper gloves do the job quick smart, I can get a windlass back to bare metal by the time I get to the bottom of the Hanwell flight..

post-11897-0-25300500-1459550664_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wanted

Help. I have a windlass that is an unsightly embarrassment to me. It is painted in I think Hammerite, and horrid shade of sickly green it is. But the very real worrying worry for me is for the welfare of my dear old magnet on a string which struggles like anything to latch onto it to pluck it out of a lock when I drop it in, for it struggles terribly to send its mysterious and wonderful picking up powers through the paints thickness, not to mention the added weight of the windlass caused by this awful and problematic paint.

So I and my beloved windlass need to be urgently rid of this demon paint and restore it back to its original galvanized state. So please please, please help with instructions to remove it. Thank you in advance. bizzard distressed.

judge.gif greenie

I find that to rid my windlassess of unsightly green paint, my pat pending sand paper gloves do the job quick smart, I can get a windlass back to bare metal by the time I get to the bottom of the Hanwell flight..

Hang on - you got them from Ann Summers!

Richard

Yes, but that would only rub it off the handle part, but I suppose you could continue rubbing the rest of it with your magic glove between locks. Good tip though that gives me hope, thank you.

judge.gif greenie

No, no, please, please not green, but thanks.

Gently roast 26 bulbs of Garlic, mash them into a paste mixed with Vindaloo curry powder. Spread liberally onto toast and consume........Breath on Windlass. Robert is yer Mother's Brother!

Mmmm, a bit drastic, I don't think I could cope with a windy windlass.

Dear Mr Bizzard...
I am so sorry you are struggling with so grotesque a windlass...I hate green so can see your distress...why don't you start a hmm are they called a crowd hedging fund...but instead of cash people can donate windlasses they've found at locks etc to ease your distress..who knows you may become owner of a pretty pink one.

If not I can recommend paint stripper if its as effective as it was when I used to to try and remove varnish from interior stone wall...I'm sure metal doesn't effloresces and then require disguising.

Regards Patty

Research has conclusively shown that green cars are involved in more accidents than any other coloured car.

Does the team think this phenomenon may also apply to a green windlass ?

You sir, with the broken nose, what's your view ?

Rog

Dear Mr B,

To address your underlying concern about your magnet's poor pulling power (a condition to which I'm sure many on here will relate) have you considered enhancing your magnet rather than attempting to remove the Hammerite? Observing the circle of colours you will note that red is directly opposite green. It as a well known fact that opposites attract, so all you have to do is paint your magnet red and all will be well.

Dragons Den stuff is that, flipping eck.

My Windlass said galvanised but it come painted in naff silver alloy wheel paint.

Robin Swindlers, I actually knew some bloke in Buxton called Robin Swindler once, he was a landrover nutter.

post-24819-0-78459200-1459606634_thumb.jpg

"So please please, please help with instructions to remove it. Thank you in advance. bizzard distressed."

Post your windlass to Mr K Jong-un and ask him to place it near North Korea's next nuclear test and that will certainly strip it of any residue of paint. It may glow for a while but that will assist if you drop it whilst night cruising.

He may well want you to forward monies for return postage though.

ninja.gif

Edited by Ray T

I have found that the easiest way to remove paint from my car is to leave it on car parks where careless people bang their doors into it. Perhaps you could hang the windlass from your car door handle and try this method?