Selfish dogging boaters

nicknorman

Featured Posts

No not that sort of dogging! Moored up last night a few yards away from a smart looking boat, stern to stern. A peaceful night was had. This morning their two large Dulux dogs were running around the towpath off lead growling at towpath users whilst the owners remained inside. After breakfast I heard water whooshing noises as I got ready to leave and noticed they were running their engine in fwd gear. As I walked around from my bow to my stern one of the dogs bounded up and growled fearsomely at me. I was a little peeved but decided that since we were pointing in opposite directions I had nothing to lose so I walked up to their boat enduring one of the dogs jumping up and pawing me. Mrs puts head out of window and we say hello and smile sweetly. I said "nobody like a busy body but did you know that running in gear tied up is against the bylaws since it damages the canal bank..." she looks down at the steel piling "even when against piling since it can undercut the piling". "No" she said, shrugging and turned away. There didn't seem much point in mentioning her out of control dogs were also unlawful., so I left. Needless to say they were still running in gear as I passed out of sight.

Probably quite nice people but like so many, oblivious to the impact their actions have on others and the canal infrastructure. This sort of innate selfishness really bugs me but I feel better now having ranted. Thanks for listening!

Dogs can get up to all sorts of things nowadays - maybe it was their idea wink.png

Anyway, just seen 2 kids on noisy motorbikes riding on the towpath. No helmets no number plates no licence no insurance. Hmmm well just to prove I'm pragmatic, so what!? They weren't going fast and slowed right down to pass some pedestrians so weren't really causing a nuisance. Just some kids having a bit of fun. One looked about 12. Although one does have to wonde about their parenting!

• Greenie 1

Anyway, just seen 2 kids on noisy motorbikes riding on the towpath. No helmets no number plates no licence no insurance. Hmmm well just to prove I'm pragmatic, so what!? They weren't going fast and slowed right down to pass some pedestrians so weren't really causing a nuisance. Just some kids having a bit of fun. One looked about 12. Although one does have to wonde about their parenting!

Parents possibly were doing the same at their age. Our neighbours include 3 generations of off-road motorcyclists (in the field and forest, though - no towpaths round here).

Edited to say no criticism implied here - they are good friends. And no condoning towpath motorcycles either!

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Are the people running their engine in gear while moored aware of the admittedly slight risk of getting a length of old rope wrapped around the prop because they are not actively looking where they are (not) going?

Not that I am suggesting that a piece of rope might magically appear, perish the thought!

• Greenie 1

I am scared when dogs bound up to me. often if the owner is about they assure me it won't hurt me or its only being friendly. I'd rather not find out.

on motorbikes on towpath, I remember coming down Atherstone, small drag bike coming down towpath. bike stopped. Over came youngster, ' can I help yur? I don't like to see a lady needing help'. He then proceeded to assist me with the very easy lock gates. different life from ours but genuinely lovely lad.

• Greenie 1

As a kid my friends and I used to ride motorbikes along the towpath, it was a nice wide section though that cars would travel up, so more like a dirt road than a towpath It was the easiest way to get to the next village without getting caught riding on the road. The local guy that looked after that section of canal had a hook for a hand and used to chase us in his truck and wave his hook at us which only added to the excitement.

There was thrashing up and down next to me on Saturday, think it was just after Hopwas, the bit that runs past the firing range, the issue for me was the decibels his exhaust was giving out, gets really annoying when he kept going backwards and forwards past me....

Last year at hopwas, we were sat beside our boat eating when a dog bounded up and tried to eat Mr track man's toast. as Mr t tried to push the dog away, a gruff voice shouted, ' don't you touch my dog '. turned out to be from the next boat along. We moved pronto.

Last year at hopwas, we were sat beside our boat eating when a dog bounded up and tried to eat Mr track man's toast. as Mr t tried to push the dog away, a gruff voice shouted, ' don't you touch my dog '. turned out to be from the next boat along. We moved pronto.

Perhaps the repost should have been "would it be OK if I shot it then?"

Dogging - is that a canal term with it's own meaning? - Oaks Woods - Norton Canes ? is there something I don't know.

Tried Google and searched - 'dogging' - blimey! - the mind boggles - I've lived a sheltered existence it seems - unless it means something else boatwise.

Dogging - is that a canal term with it's own meaning? - Oaks Woods - Norton Canes ? is there something I don't know.

Tried Google and searched - 'dogging' - blimey! - the mind boggles - I've lived a sheltered existence it seems - unless it means something else boatwise.

No I think it's my fault, well Jennifer Saunder's fault in Jam and Jerusalem. Sorry can't find the right clip but here she does something similar with rimming. And another time it was cottaging. Hopefully you'll get the general idea:

http://youtu.be/a2K3Mo15U4U

According to JS's character, dogging is of course going out in the country with dogs. What else could it be?

I am scared when dogs bound up to me. often if the owner is about they assure me it won't hurt me or its only being friendly. I'd rather not find out.

can understand that, any size dogs can be intimidating! We do often walk our 18month old Labradoddle off the lead on towpaths (and else where) however always keep her close to so can see what she is doing (otherwise would count as out of control) and more importantly if we meet other people are able to quickly put her on the lead, more to show the other people that she is under control and not going to jump up. Mrs Dharl and myself KNOW she wont harm a flay, but as you said Mrs Trackman, the other people don't know my dog and I don't want to worry them or my dog!

Wouldn't say I am a perfect dog owner, but we do our best to be responsible and understand that not everyone appreciates them in the same way!

• Greenie 2

can understand that, any size dogs can be intimidating! We do often walk our 18month old Labradoddle off the lead on towpaths (and else where) however always keep her close to so can see what she is doing (otherwise would count as out of control) and more importantly if we meet other people are able to quickly put her on the lead, more to show the other people that she is under control and not going to jump up. Mrs Dharl and myself KNOW she wont harm a flay, but as you said Mrs Trackman, the other people don't know my dog and I don't want to worry them or my dog!

Wouldn't say I am a perfect dog owner, but we do our best to be responsible and understand that not everyone appreciates them in the same way!

Greenie for having a Doodle and for being responsible.

Greenie for having a Doodle and for being responsible.

:) She is lovely, technically a Double Doodle as the Mother is a Golden Doodle whilst the Father is a Labradoddle. Try and let her off the lesh as much as possible as she has huge amount of energy to expand but always an eye out for when we need to put her back on lead.

There can't be many narrowboats with 2 Old English Sheepdogs on board.

IF it's the boat that I know, they were "invited to leave" the marina where I moor due to their antisocial behaviour.

Wouldn't have a boat name connected with good weather extending into autumn by any chance?

George ex nb Alton retired

smile.png She is lovely, technically a Double Doodle as the Mother is a Golden Doodle whilst the Father is a Labradoddle. Try and let her off the lesh as much as possible as she has huge amount of energy to expand but always an eye out for when we need to put her back on lead.

One of ours is a Double result of two labradoodles.She is a rescue that we took pity on. A bit nervous sometimes but a cracking dog.

The other is a Labradoodle; father standard poodle and mother a (probably about 90% ) black lab. He weighs in at 37 Kg and is a splendid chap.

Both completely insane.

post-910-0-15782000-1459537919_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

smile.png She is lovely, technically a Double Doodle as the Mother is a Golden Doodle whilst the Father is a Labradoddle. Try and let her off the lesh as much as possible as she has huge amount of energy to expand but always an eye out for when we need to put her back on lead.

Oohhh..

You mean a mongrel?

Sorry, did I say that out loud??

• Greenie 2

Oohhh..

You mean a mongrel?

No No not a mongrel but selective cross breed..

Im going for a doodle of some mix next time I get a dog..but not yet cos Molly deserves old age in peace.

Oohhh..

You mean a mongrel?

Naughty! But that was my first thought at the mention of labradoodle - why not just call them mongrels like other cross breds.

My dictionarys says: Mongrel - any animal resulting from the crossing of different breeds or types.

Naughty! But that was my first thought at the mention of labradoodle - why not just call them mongrels like other cross breds.

My dictionarys says: Mongrel - any animal resulting from the crossing of different breeds or types.

I agree that doodles are mongrels, and have got in trouble for saying so in the past. That said it could be argued that all dogs are mongrels since they are descendent's of the wolf and have been cross bred to get to the dog required (usually to do a job originally.)

I have met many people who claim to have bred the first doodle (mongrel if you prefer.) Donald Campbell bred a very early one, but I am certain there must have been others before (it is thought that he first used the name "Labradoodle,") Lots in Australia and Germany for example.

Doodles have been bred for specific work in the past which they tend to be good at, guide dogs being a good example, where they are particularly good if anybody has allergies. I am told they are excellent water fowl retrievers too (Campbell bred his for this purpose) and I suspect this is why they have become defined as "labradoodles."

Either way they are generally superb dogs, but if they ever got "Crufts" status, kennel club status or similar I would not get another (unwanted dog excepted, when I would consider any dog.)

I have mostly had mongrel dogs, often dogs that are unwanted for whatever reason, and I wouldn't have it any different. The dogs themselves do not give one as to whether they are mongrels are not, as long as they are fed, watered and (in my case) walked between 30 and 40 miles per week. I don't give one as to whether they are mongrels or not, but they keep me fit, active and highly amused. I also prefer them to many people.

I'll gerroff me soap box now smile.png

Edited by Guest

Im going for a doodle of some mix next time I get a dog..but not yet cos Molly deserves old age in peace.

Some truth in that since they are used and were bred for specific tasks as well as pets.

I call mine mongrels though and they don't seem bothered wink.png

I got the first Doodle pup when our Heinz Terrier was old, and they bonded immediately.

How he grew:

post-910-0-68834300-1459544838_thumb.jpg

post-910-0-30827900-1459546201_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

I agree that doodles are mongrels, and have got in trouble for saying so in the past. That said it could be argued that all dogs are mongrels since they are descendent's of the wolf and have been cross bred to get to the dog required (usually to do a job originally.)

I have met many people who claim to have bred the first doodle (mongrel if you prefer.) Donald Campbell bred a very early one, but I am certain there must have been others before (it is thought that he first used the name "Labradoodle,") Lots in Australia and Germany for example.

Doodles have been bred for specific work in the past which they tend to be good at, guide dogs being a good example, where they are particularly good if anybody has allergies. I am told they are excellent water fowl retrievers too (Campbell bred his for this purpose) and I suspect this is why they have become defined as "labradoodles."

Either way they are generally superb dogs, but if they ever got "Crufts" status, kennel club status or similar I would not get another (unwanted dog excepted, when I would consider any dog.)

I have mostly had mongrel dogs, often dogs that are unwanted for whatever reason, and I wouldn't have it any different. The dogs themselves do not give one as to whether they are mongrels are not, as long as they are fed, watered and (in my case) walked between 30 and 40 miles per week. I don't give one as to whether they are mongrels or not, but they keep me fit, active and highly amused. I also prefer them to many people.

I'll gerroff me soap box now smile.png

I wouldn't disagree with most of what you say. We part company on agreement in the first line.

Mongrels are crosses between breeds and a breed is a strain of animals which will produce young exactly like their parents. As a result a pure (say) Labrador isn't a cross. It probably was once but not any more.

Labradoodles could become a breed if somebody put their mind to working on making the characteristics of the cross stable in the offspring. Just as Luing cattle as a breed were developed by one family from crosses between Highlanders and Shorthorns.