Boris Plans to turn canals into nationwide cycle net work

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

This is the thin end of the wedge. Once sufficient traffic has been established, he plans to go on and drain the canals and turn them into a bicycle superhighway network. The towpath will then revert full-time to its dog toilet role.

This is the thin end of the wedge. Once sufficient traffic has been established, he plans to go on and drain the canals and turn them into a bicycle superhighway network. The towpath will then revert full-time to its dog toilet role.

No, no, the idea is to fill in the canals straightaway and create three lane cycle superhighways.

Quote: "The plan was condemned by William Fish, chair of Canal and River Preservation (Carp), who said: “Boris Johnson would be tarmacking over the happiness of millions of anglers, boaters and wildlife watchers who enjoy our canal network.”

He claimed the scheme was illegal under EU Regulation 01/04/2016."

Bit of a clue at the end, there.

I approve, t'would save me a fortune each year.

Likewise, plus I wouldn't have to put up with bloody boats using swing bridges when I am going somewhere in my car, or listen to their noisy engines charging batteries near my home. The miles of canals would be suitable for landfill, easing a major problem faced by the public. Go for it I say.

Machpoint005, on 01 Apr 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

It doesn't have to be 1st April for the papers to print details of an idiotic BoJo idea.

Sometimes - what appears at first to be a completely idiotic idea can be 'worked' into something almost usable.

What about Boris' Bicycles frinstance; aren't they a success.

(Idunno I never go into London anymore).

Sometimes - what appears at first to be a completely idiotic idea can be 'worked' into something almost usable.

What about Boris' Bicycles frinstance; aren't they a success.

(Idunno I never go into London anymore).

The so called "Boris bikes" were actually Ken Livingstone's idea.

Boatyards would be able to get a lot of new business fitting wheels to narrowboats. I suppose then the BSS would have to be amended for checking brakes.

And ot course, anything over 7ft wide would have to have a big black and yellow sign on the back saying "Wide Load".

Edited by dor