France/ Adder 2376 Pics from 60's

Biffer

Featured Posts

Had a couple of request for these pics so here goes. The pictures are from c. 1965-68- the first two show France as she was when Leonard Leigh had her,and later as Adder (at some point her name was changed from France to Adder, whether deliberately or by mistake i know not) after the superstructure had been added on by my father (Eric Pike) and Wilf Buffrey. In the first pic are my mother and father, and also Max Sinclair and I believe his two daughters. Anyone may use these pictures for whatever purpose they wish. They are photos of photos rather than scanned so excuse that. No idea where they were taken but no doubt in and around the BCN.

post-19762-0-28158600-1459450469_thumb.jpgpost-19762-0-03736400-1459450471_thumb.jpgpost-19762-0-73013100-1459450472_thumb.jpgpost-19762-0-41271500-1459450474_thumb.jpgpost-19762-0-30206800-1459450476_thumb.jpgpost-19762-0-10030200-1459450478_thumb.jpgpost-19762-0-88731500-1459450479_thumb.jpgpost-19762-0-61328000-1459450481_thumb.jpgpost-19762-0-52347400-1459450483_thumb.jpg

• Greenie 1

The first two look to be at Lane Head nr Willenhall, United Kingdom pub for those who navigate by means other than the stars above wink.png

The others are on the Shroppie imo, colour of the gate beams would suggest it. Narrow locks possibly Tyrley or Audlem? Wide lock around Chester maybe?

Great images thanks for sharing.

Edited by AMModels

The first two look to be at Lane Head nr Willenhall, United Kingdom pub for those who navigate by means other than the stars above wink.png

The others are on the Shroppie imo, colour of the gate beams would suggest it. Narrow locks possibly Tyrley or Audlem? Wide lock around Chester maybe?

Great images thanks for sharing.

The pub in the background is "The Bridge Inn", the "United Kingdom" is well off camera to the left. The little building was a blacksmiths at one time. This is a rare shot as it shows the full cabin side livery with the BCN number in use and no fleet number, a real gem.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I was referring to the area Laurence, no one could confuse the two pubs lol. The Kingdom is the one canalside so generally the one most people would be aware of, it was certainly the landmark we made for. cheers.gif

It may have been in your day but it is not the original waterside pub, that is the "Bridge Inn" which predates the "United Kingdom" by quite a few years.

"Lane Head" was created by the construction of the W&E who for some strange reason severed the main road to Bloxwich just east of where Holly Bank basin is. The two halves of the main road still exist (Haley St and Ezekiel lane), the northern with its pub, "The Swan" a stones throw from the Methodist church and schools, Straight road was built to reconnect Lane Head with the severed main road and Coltham rd, continuing on to Wood lane which then was the main road into Bloxwich passing over the W&E at Edwards Bridge.

The gathering of shops, pubs and blacksmiths in High rd and Bentley lane then became the "Lane Head" we still know, few people realize it is a "canal originated settlement".Lane head became a major wharf. A blacksmiths was situated on what is now part of the car park of the united Kingdom, whilst on the other side of the bridge were two more blacksmiths and the wharfage which became Leighs. A little further along was a side slip boatyard which was accessed at the end of the truncated former main road, (A FMC hull sat here for years but was removed and most of the yard dismantled and taken to other sites.

The area is a real fascination to examine and worth a days exploration as nearby other major sites are located ie Sneyd locks.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Virtual greenie, I didnt know the history of the area. It was a destination for beer and any explanations after a visit to the Kingdom centred around 'you steer, Im going for a kip'

I am of course referring to the present pub in my post above, it has a canalside mooring and is more obviously a canalside pub than the bridge is these days. I used to travel that way every day for years going to work and looking at the map it is strange/amusing how the straight road was cut in half by the canal and the detour was named ... Straight Road when it obviously wasnt originally.

I remember there being a wreck on the Leigh side of the bridge many years ago and what looked like a wharf cottage being roadside, there is the pic of one of LL's tugs moored there as well.

Virtual greenie, I didnt know the history of the area. It was a destination for beer and any explanations after a visit to the Kingdom centred around 'you steer, Im going for a kip'

I am of course referring to the present pub in my post above, it has a canalside mooring and is more obviously a canalside pub than the bridge is these days. I used to travel that way every day for years going to work and looking at the map it is strange/amusing how the straight road was cut in half by the canal and the detour was named ... Straight Road when it obviously wasnt originally.

I remember there being a wreck on the Leigh side of the bridge many years ago and what looked like a wharf cottage being roadside, there is the pic of one of LL's tugs moored there as well.

The wreck is / was the "Pat" the only LLL tug that wasn't sold off having been in a dreadful state for years and beyond sensible reclamation.

It is still there visible in the winter.

It may have been in your day but it is not the original waterside pub, that is the "Bridge Inn" which predates the "United Kingdom" by quite a few years.

"Lane Head" was created by the construction of the W&E who for some strange reason severed the main road to Bloxwich just east of where Holly Bank basin is. The two halves of the main road still exist (Haley St and Ezekiel lane), the northern with its pub, "The Swan" a stones throw from the Methodist church and schools, Straight road was built to reconnect Lane Head with the severed main road and Coltham rd, continuing on to Wood lane which then was the main road into Bloxwich passing over the W&E at Edwards Bridge.

The gathering of shops, pubs and blacksmiths in High rd and Bentley lane then became the "Lane Head" we still know, few people realize it is a "canal originated settlement".Lane head became a major wharf. A blacksmiths was situated on what is now part of the car park of the united Kingdom, whilst on the other side of the bridge were two more blacksmiths and the wharfage which became Leighs. A little further along was a side slip boatyard which was accessed at the end of the truncated former main road, (A FMC hull sat here for years but was removed and most of the yard dismantled and taken to other sites.

The area is a real fascination to examine and worth a days exploration as nearby other major sites are located ie Sneyd locks.

The wreck is / was the "Pat" the only LLL tug that wasn't sold off having been in a dreadful state for years and beyond sensible reclamation.

I have to bow to your research Laurence I lived there buntil I was in my mid twenties and had not realised the Haley St./Ezekial Lane bit, but often wondered, the Bridge used to have a gate to the towpath, for nformer stable access, however the last stables in use were the United Kindom, they stood in the corner against the old Lanehead bridge, I suspect the last users were Elements and Caggy Stevens.

In my day Loe Fletcher was the blacksmith in the UK yard and Alf bSpencer was opposite the Bridge Inn, next to the school, I still have windlass's and shaft hooks made for me by Alf Spencer, theb "wharf" was formed in a little "deal" with local BW guys who put concrete piles in, the property belonged to the Wood family who were sub contractors to Leonard Leigh, Roland wood senior always used horses, until he retired and bhis sons Roland and vTom purchased Monarch, Pat was purchased from the receivers of Mallebear & P[rince who were engaged on steel piling the Trent & Mersey Alrewas, she had a 30hp Bolinder, which despite bolting in old lock gate beams, was still shaking her to bits (bilge pump all day), msdhecvwas named Pat after Tom'scurrent girlfriend and was an old Severner (part of}, I had the blade, but someone knicked it from me, I mreckon the bottom of her is still there inc the stern tube, anybody know the name and wherebouts of the wooden Sor purcased from SS company at Stourport by Tom & Roland, she had the top of the stem post cut off at Worsey's to enable loading under the big coal/cobble belt at the Grove.

The old slip was matty's, last worked by a guy named Sim Wood (no relation to the above), no one seems to mention Wilf Heath, who was wharf manager at Holly Bank basin for many years, anyway my dinner is ready, and a can of Bank's

Cheers

For anyone interested heres a map of the area, the cut road is dotted red, the diverted one dotted blue and Lane Head is dotted yellow.

To the left of Lane Head in lilac is the wharf, south of that is the Blacksmiths in lighter mauve. The two pubs are to the right of Lane Head both in Lime green with the United Kingdom to the north of the canal and The Bridge to the south.

post-3500-0-24789800-1459937915_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The converted ADDER 2376 was recorded as being at a boat rally in Leicester in July 1967 so your dating is about right captain.gif

Adder in a converted state was certainly at the Leicester rally in 67; I carried some chandlery for Davison's from Sawley to the rally we were asked to tie alongside Adder for a short time to allow the setting up of the stand & then moved alongside to unload before again moving to our mooring for the duration of the rally

Adder in a converted state was certainly at the Leicester rally in 67; I carried some chandlery for Davison's from Sawley to the rally we were asked to tie alongside Adder for a short time to allow the setting up of the stand & then moved alongside to unload before again moving to our mooring for the duration of the rally

For your own piece of mind LILY was also recorded as being present at this event captain.gif

H13108.jpg

This pic shows a boat in Hollybank basin mentioned in this thread, coal was brought from Holly Bank colliery by a mineral railway 2-3 miles to this basin, previously the pit could have been served by the Gt Wyrley branch of the Wyrley and Essington through Sneyd locks.

Id be interested to know the details of this boat which seems to have timberheads like a joey but the fore end is more akin to a single ended boat.

A photo from www.aclickintime.co.uk a great local resource for my old area.