Private 'No Mooring' signs

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

"SHIRTS MUST BE WARN INSIDE THE DINING ROOM"

Do we really need a sign to tell us this ?

PS Greylady's back :)

Hmmm yes but no but yer but maybe the sign was for the lady's. Lol

Their are some exhibitionists among us ya know.......

Ps thank you and hia.

I don't believe that anyone puts up 'No mooring' signs to deter scruffy boats with smoking chimneys, noisy generators or junk on the towpath etc, etc.

They put the signs up because they believe that they own the view from their window or garden and they don't want anyone blocking it with their boat.

I have in fact moored outside a house which had no mooring signs fixed to the fence, I was only intending to stay there temporarily whilst waiting for a space outside the boatyard next door. Within a few minutes, the lady of the house appeared, telling me in no uncertain terms that '' this is private'' and '' didn't I see the signs?''. Having attempted to explain my intentions, I said that yes, I had seen the signs and as they weren't CaRT signs they were meaningless, also this is a canal bank with a towpath between it and her property so cannot be private property.

At this, she stormed off to the office of the boatyard and ( I was informed later ) gave them an extreme ear bashing.

As I didn't think it fair on the staff to suffer from my actions I promptly wrote a letter to the lady and her husband explaining the error of their ways, since which I've had no reply.

Keith

If more people were prepared to engage with and speak to what they regard as the few 'problem' boaters directly, instead of whinging to councils and CRT, it would save us all a lot of hassle and cost (which we pay for anyway). But then again it's much easier to bash out an email.

I do agree bassplayer , as far as confronting people goes and possibly having an argument I find that just upsets the mood of the whole day's boating, I am afraid I am one of the ones that will carry on round the corner rather than confront someone who I know is wrong.

I view such signage in a similar way to the signs I see in summer outside cafes and restaurants

"SHIRTS MUST BE WARN INSIDE THE DINING ROOM"

Do we really need a sign to tell us this ?

With miles of canal towpath, signage or not, do we really need to moor outside someone's window.

The legalities are really an irrelevance.

Be considerate !

Rog

PS Greylady's back smile.png

I agree that if possible it is more considerate to moor away from people's homes. In some cases it isn't always easy, though. As more and more canal side properties appear, if people take to putting "no mooring" signs up and are allowed to get away with it, life could become difficult for mooring in some places.

At Haskayne on the western end of the Leeds and Liverpool is a house on the tow path side adjacent to a small bridge and just a few yards from the Ship Inn with a few long standing no mooring signs.

I stood on the bridge and took a couple of pictures and the owner popped out to explain that hammered pins had caused vibrations in her home and that in the past there had been anti social behaviour.

I have rarely seen this elsewhere unless put there by the Trust.

What happened to their house when they hammered their illegal signs in ?

Peter.

Edited by bargemast
  • Greenie 1

I agree that if possible it is more considerate to moor away from people's homes. In some cases it isn't always easy, though. As more and more canal side properties appear, if people take to putting "no mooring" signs up and are allowed to get away with it, life could become difficult for mooring in some places.

I tend to regard them as polite requests, like those of the bloke who nailed a no parking sign to the wall of his house on my street, or the guy who always puts two of those red conical things outside his house when he drives off. If I can, I'll avoid those spaces. If i can't, I'll politely move his bollards or ignore the signs. But on the cut I'll bear them in mind, try not to run the engine or play the trombone. Of course, if the houseowner chooses to be impolite and abusive, then tough. Out with the trombone, on with the sub-woofer...

Edited by Arthur Marshall

Talking of views......

There's a boat moored on a linear, non towpath side mooring on the North Stratford with a 'Please Don't Spoil Our View' sign on the roof, which is faced to be read from the towpath.

I was reminded of this when we passed the other day.

Is this the boaty equivalent of 'No Mooring' signs on houses?

Talking of views......

There's a boat moored on a linear, non towpath side mooring on the North Stratford with a 'Please Don't Spoil Our View' sign on the roof, which is faced to be read from the towpath.

Sounds like it. Where is it I don't remember seeing it before.

I try to always avoid mooring in places where the house windows are merely the towpath width from the boat.

These, in my experience, tend to be the houses who put up the no mooring signs.

The homes where there is a lengthy garden, I am more willing to moor, as I don't feel I will significantly annoy them.

By preference, I'll moor away from any houses.

(Penkridge is a place that springs to mind where there are houses near to all the moorings, and I love to visit the market)

Rog

Now, now.

There's no need to be nasty just 'cos I disagree with you, Nick.

There is when the disagreement is that you claim to know what is in my mind better than I do. This forum is full of people misrepresenting what other people have said, whether out of mischievousness or carelessness, and I'm on a zero tolerance policy with it.

• Greenie 1

There is when the disagreement is that you claim to know what is in my mind better than I do. This forum is full of people misrepresenting what other people have said, whether out of mischievousness or carelessness, and I'm on a zero tolerance policy with it.

Come on Nick you know you don't really mean that! (sorry couldn't resist)

• Greenie 1

Talking of views......

I always laugh at that boat, must be nutters or too much cider at the "Bell"

:)

Talking of views......

I passed that boat last week and struggled to believe anyone would put up such a sign. It doesn't look like a spot that would attract moored boats regularly anyway. It appears the person concerned would be OK with someone blocking their neighbours view which would be the result of obeying the sign. At least it is a request not an order.

JP

How about these ones, do they have any authority on the Staffs & Worce. They are both on the tow path side and the tow path runs between the canal and the fence.

My first thought is the second one should tell you why the CCTV is being used and who is responsible for running it and I think how to contact them.

How about these ones, do they have any authority on the Staffs & Worce. They are both on the tow path side and the tow path runs between the canal and the fence.

We've cruised past here a few times and thought......I'm passing a chemical works, their alarm is sounding to alert of a major leak/impending explosion.....Let's moor here for lunch
  • Greenie 1

Ditchcrawler (or anyone, really):

If you can give me some location details and preferably the name of the company, I may be able to do some digging around and shed some light. I work on a high-hazard site and we have similar signage.

This one has been discussed before.

Basically, the position is that the chemical works is a high hazard area, and their risk assessment says that they can't have boats moored within a certain distance of the relevant part of the works.

They choose to erect signs that prohibit legitimate activity on land that they don't own. Clearly the correct way to proceed would be to ensure that the hazards are contained on their land.