Ruston Hornsby misfire.

Ruston2vsh

Featured Posts

Hi I have Ruston Hornsby 2vsh that has developed a misfire problem. Its worse when the engine is warm,I have changed the filters and bled the system but this appeared to make no difference. Any suggestions please or has anyone else had a similar problem.

In that case, like you say, if it was head gasket you would be losing coolant.

Water getting through to the combustion chamber whether via fuel or gasket leak can result in grey'ish exhaust (steam) depending on the quantity.

Head gasket would also be indicated by emulsion coating the oil filler.

Take a sample of fuel from the filter, if it's clear and tasty looking then it's unlikely to be contaminated.

If all well at that end I'd check the injectors, whip them out and drop them off at your local "Injectors R Us" for cleaning and calibrating.

If they're ok next try the injector pumps.

Finally Preparation H is over rated, personally I employ a small wire brush such as the kind used for suede shoes, certainly gets the leg kicking.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree injectors seem most likely suspect. As for the latter prep H does not work, however a soft toothbrush with a coating of sensodyne toothpaste works miracle's. If it works don't stop using it.

• 2 months later...

Have you identified which cylinder is missfiring? Slack off the pipe between the pump and injector and this should confirm which cylinder is doing all the work. If could be an air leak on the diesel inflow pipe. Also do you have a gravity fuel feed from a day tank or do you have a fuel pump supplied by the main tank. these have been knwn to cause problems? I have had one where overheating caused a misfire caused by a broken water impellor. The injector cleaning is a sound idea, You can compare spray pattens if you crank the engine over whith the injectors removed but be careful not to have your hands, bare skin or eyes near the spray, diesel is nasty stuff.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree injectors seem most likely suspect. As for the latter prep H does not work, however a soft toothbrush with a coating of sensodyne toothpaste works miracle's. If it works don't stop using it.

Euthymol (the smokers toothpaste) with added grit and whatever happened to Bronco loo paper?