Going up the Thames Tomorrow

Terryb

Featured Posts

Glad thy arrived safely.

Makes me feel an idiot - saying Don't, Don't.

But then you never know what competence the OP has and given that some idiot managed to get himself broached to at Chertsey bridge recently, you have to assume the worst.

Perhaps I'll stop giving advice on the Thames in future.....

They came up the middle arch of Richmond Bridge - the one with the strongest flow against them! That and their choice of mooring suggests that any good advice may be useful!

Glad thy arrived safely.

Makes me feel an idiot - saying Don't, Don't.

But then you never know what competence the OP has and given that some idiot managed to get himself broached to at Chertsey bridge recently, you have to assume the worst.

Perhaps I'll stop giving advice on the Thames in future.....

I would not have done it.

As a matter of interest my office is next to the Thames by Westminster Bridge. if anyone is doing the Tideway during the working day and wants their picture taken boating through please fell free to drop me a line and I might be able to oblige.

Tim

• Greenie 2

As a matter of interest my office is next to the Thames by Westminster Bridge. if anyone is doing the Tideway during the working day and wants their picture taken boating through please fell free to drop me a line and I might be able to oblige.

Tim

Ditto - Lambeth Bridge (so you get Big Ben in the background). Tim takes better photographs, though.

• Greenie 2

Hi guys. Sorry about the delay. But along with getting coerced into doing something very silly. I had no signal where we eventually ended up. I had planned and indeed the Brentford lock was opened for me. But a last minute call from my travel companion persuaded me to carry on.

I'm a complete idiot for going and it was against my better judgement. But hey ho lesson learned. I have now cut him off and he again has sailed up on Red Boards against best advice PLA. ?

Me. I'm in the calm of Teddington above the lock. Paying around £10 a bloody day waiting for calmer waters.

Thanks for all your concern. I wish I would have posted on here a day earlier. But whatever. Thanks for all your replies and concern. Alfie took it all in his stride and I loved it too. So all ends well. Cheers.

Terry, I am not certain but I would check with the Lockies as I was under the impression that ( assuming you are on EA landing ) you are entitled to "safe refuge " during red board and at no cost.

Paul

Guys the ten quid is the price of a Thames licence divided by 14. I only paid for two weeks just to get me up to Oxford. Where I'll do a ring and then decide where next. Any tips advice etc. As always thanks

y'all.

Guys the ten quid is the price of a Thames licence divided by 14. I only paid for two weeks just to get me up to Oxford. Where I'll do a ring and then decide where next. Any tips advice etc. As always thanks

y'all.

I think I'd have gone with your original thought and got off at Brentford, canals don't have flows like the Thamesunsure.png . We are currently in Oxford and having gone across the river a few times today (by bike on bridges!!) I wouldn't take my boat out on that level of flow, you'd never get a narrow boat through the narrows (Folly Bridge) at Oxford unless you've got a turbocharger on your enginerolleyes.gif . Even once you are through Oxford the Cherwell is starting to rise as well so you may not even get to Enslow. Any chance of getting back to Brentford?

There's a site that tells you what the river levels are and have recently been at many points all over the country:

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels

but I wonder if anyone has yet put this together with weather forecasting data to produce projections of river levels days ahead?

In theory I think it should be possible for a good computer system to produce a better prediction than what's currently available, which consists of someone with experience of a river system looking at a weather forecast and making a guess.

The forecast seems to be that the next week in the Thames Valley will not see much rainfall, but maybe Terry's best hope is to ask the lockkeepers when they expect that to translate into the Thames becoming safer to navigate. He might end up having to sit at Teddington for his first week then make a dash up river in the second week when conditions improve?

There's a site that tells you what the river levels are and have recently been at many points all over the country:

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels

but I wonder if anyone has yet put this together with weather forecasting data to produce projections of river levels days ahead?

In theory I think it should be possible for a good computer system to produce a better prediction than what's currently available, which consists of someone with experience of a river system looking at a weather forecast and making a guess.

The forecast seems to be that the next week in the Thames Valley will not see much rainfall, but maybe Terry's best hope is to ask the lockkeepers when they expect that to translate into the Thames becoming safer to navigate. He might end up having to sit at Teddington for his first week then make a dash up river in the second week when conditions improve?

I really didn't plan on rushing any where, the timing and speed of the trip so far I kind of left to another boater, as I was under no time constraints and he was.

As mentioned, I have severed my connection with him, as the Richmond debacle became too embarrasing for my ego. I think it was my lack of confidence that led me to do too much following and not enough leading. But having managed the Thames under 160 cubic Metres a sec ( normal flow 15 cMtrs ) I am well prepared to understand what I can and cannot attempt in future. I did all the research including phoning PLA and Brentford for advice but sadly allowed myself to get dragged along by a egotistical and very self righteous old fool.

Once again I have to apologise for not posting my initial post a few days earlier, but mobile signal strength let me down when I needed it. Trust me guys, ( and girls ) I am not going to be too quick to rush in like that again. If anyone has trouble ( and wants to ) viewing my FB page for updates or pictures. I will post a few on here.

Here's a site I find easier to use - it shows all the gauging stations on the Thames.

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1251/1385

This particular page shows the level just above Teddington. and quite clearly shows the spring high tides coming up above the Teddington weir level.

There are some places (eg Molesey, the next one along) that enable you to form a view on flow rates - the level above the lock is more or less nominal, while the level below the lock is much higher than normal. That tells you the river is sloping more than it does in the summer, related to the flow rate.

http://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Detail/1226/5121

but sadly allowed myself to get dragged along by a egotistical and very self righteous old fool.

In my 30 years on the Thames at Richmond I have never seen anyone try to moor up like that, midstream to one buoy, two breasted boats. Even in summertime with no fluvial flow you would be taking risks, the base tidal flow is very powerful. I was going to come alongside and warn you but the PLA launch got there before me! You were lucky that they did move you on.

I'd love to know (well perhaps not) who the said idiot is and his boat name so that I can avoid him....

The Tideway can appear peaceful on the surface - but as the River narrows and shallows the flow rate increases. The modal NB (one with the 'usual' size of engine) will struggle even when Yellow Boards are out. Perhaps the OP is lucky and his boat has enough power - big trad engine or 45+ hp.Twould be nice to know - so that I can miss engine size in future if I'm wrong.

I'm advised by folks who know (perhaps with a bit of caution) that the River is likely to be stuck on Reds until 6th. April at least (something to do with the change of tax year....). Perhaps TerrryB could negotiate a deal with EA. They at a local level can be very accommodating - especially if you're polite and have a jolly good reason. OK - the 'licence' is an authority to be there (which he is) and not to 'use' which is 'free'. Talk to the lockies at Teddington especially one whose first name starts with 'H' who is NB friendly / understanding. Many Thames lockies are boat owners / watermen with a huge fund of local knowledge.

Doesn't hurt to try. Some discretions are available, so don't suffer in silence.

As somebody who knows the tidal Thames reasonably well, I would just mention that Spring tides are not really any more dangerous than Neaps provided you are going with the tide, and especially if you are going up-river (with the flood) rather than down.

Bear in mind that the tidal Thames does flow in both directions!

Going down-river, the tricky bit is turning into Limehouse. With a lot of water in the river I would prefer to avoid doing this (I'd go the other way, or not at all), but going from Limehouse to Brentford or Teddington with the flood tide is nothing to get nervous about. That's assuming you have a good engine, a stout anchor, and no ventilation holes close to the waterline.

Just an update people, I have now reached Windsor, where although the river is narrower, the current doesnt seem as bad, though it's still hard work, it aint so scary.

As many of you will remember, about a year ago, I partially sank, due to the weed hatch coming loose. Well yesterday, I had to go into it to clear a mile of rope off. I am glad to report, that this time, I was well prepared, and replaced the tape with new after cleaning both mating surfaces. That was 4 miles ago and batteling the upstream current, I am now very satisfied that all is well. Check my FB page for piccies.

Just an update people, I have now reached Windsor, where although the river is narrower, the current doesnt seem as bad, though it's still hard work, it aint so scary.

As many of you will remember, about a year ago, I partially sank, due to the weed hatch coming loose. Well yesterday, I had to go into it to clear a mile of rope off. I am glad to report, that this time, I was well prepared, and replaced the tape with new after cleaning both mating surfaces. That was 4 miles ago and batteling the upstream current, I am now very satisfied that all is well. Check my FB page for piccies.

Windsor is O.K.,I keep my boat there.

Terry,how is your Facebook page Titled?

CT

Thanks for the all the useful info and advice on this thread.

I'm planning to do the tideway, Limehouse to Teddington in a couple of weeks (18 April) when hopefully the Thames levels will have dropped to normal. My fall back pan will be to stop at Brentford if the Thames above Teddington is still on Red or Yellow boards or even delay the trip as I have no time restraints.

Expect more questions from me nearer the time.

Thanks for the all the useful info and advice on this thread.

I'm planning to do the tideway, Limehouse to Teddington in a couple of weeks (18 April) when hopefully the Thames levels will have dropped to normal. My fall back pan will be to stop at Brentford if the Thames above Teddington is still on Red or Yellow boards or even delay the trip as I have no time restraints.

Expect more questions from me nearer the time.

If it's during the working day drop me a line and I may be able to photograph you going past my office by Westminster Bridge

Tim