Closing up gaps in moorings so you can moor up

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Just wondered what you feel about other boaters moving your boat up for a few yards to make space for their boat?

Maybe in the same way we have 'welcome to moor alongside' type stickers we could also have 'please feel free to move my boat a few yards if you need more space to moor up when we are not here because we are up the pub, or at work, or a at our other home, but please do it carefully and make sure you tie it up properly' sticker :)

I don't think I would be all that happy. I tie my boat up my way, I know it's safe, if it's not its my fault.

It could be I've been moored there a few days and another boat has just moved off. If a boat wants to come in and there's a gap either side of us I do,in the main, pop my head out and offer to move up. I wouldn't move an other persons boat without their knowledge.

If things were desperate, then at a push I might, but I would feel bad about it and watch for the owners to return and immediately have a word to say what I had done.

Point of view situation I guess.

Martyn

Fine by me, as long as you tie it back up well. It's necessary practice in congested spaces like London but sadly you don't always get tied back up that well.

Normally I'll move our boat up to maximise a space when a small boat moves off from next to us.

Someone moved my boat last week. They only put it in front of a marina entrance/winding hole, didn't they! The gormless tossers. I don't mind people moving it if they're not going to do stupid things like that, and they secure it like it was their own.

Someone moved my boat last week. They only put it in front of a marina entrance/winding hole, didn't they! The gormless tossers. I don't mind people moving it if they're not going to do stupid things like that, and they secure it like it was their own.

Yes that is the danger I suppose.

By all means put a notice on your boat if you don't mind someone moving you. For my part I agree in principle with Nightwatch. I would not want someone moving my boat without my permission.

If there is a shortage of space and I am on board I will move my boat myself on request.

But logically, if there is no space of suitable length, where does the approaching boat moor whilst they are moving yours?

As a general principle where it looks like a busy spot, we moor at a discrete distance from any existing boat, leaving room for others to squeeze in.

There are others, of course, who seem to moor central in a gap without giving thought to others who might arrive later. But in their defence it seems a bit antisocial to moor too close to others when there seems to be plenty of room at the time of mooring.

It happened to us once. We were well into the country and the only boat there. Another pulled in and moored up almost touching. That didn't matter at the time, until they set up their portable generator on the towpath to run their TV late into the evening. That was annoying. We didn't say anything - we moved out boat (in the dark) 1/2 mile away.

But you cant't win, whatever you do. It is when the spaces fill up at random, and boats leave at random, do you find your boat is the one that seems to be awkwardly placed.

PS: to my earlier comments, I should have added that the other boat caught us up at the locks the next day, and in passing they said they were puzzled why we move off in the dark and moored up again further down the canal. We said it was to get away from the noise of their generator and loud TV.

They apologised and said they didn't think the generator was noisy because they could hardly hear it, and explained they had never boated before and they thought mooring up close was the friendly thing to do. It takes all sorts!

I wouldn't want to put a notice on saying, in effect, this boat has no-one on it. Please break in and nick my stuff.

If you are really struggling to find a place to moor and can see that if you move a boat you can make room then go knock on the door an ask if you can. Very occasionally I have moved empty boats a few yards to make space.

If you are asked then be reasonable about and give permission (unless it leaves you in a silly position or moves you partially onto a 24 hr rather than the 2 week moorings you want). Also allow people to tie up along side in really busy places.

Edited by Tiggs

Of coarse, a few years ago, boats used moored quite a distance away from the next boat because of the Boat Pox!

This highly contagious disease was rife, from Hire boats right down to the lowly Constant Cruisers, and was only able to be controlled because the fender makers were instructed to injected a serum into all bow and stern fenders as instructed by the then British Waterways.

This almost eliminated this curse!

Unfortunately, this boat pox, is still in the minds of some boaters and now and then an outbreak crops up here and there, especially in busy places, like Sutton Stop, Braunston and such like!!

Nippericecream.gif

• Greenie 1

By all means put a notice on your boat if you don't mind someone moving you. For my part I agree in principle with Nightwatch. I would not want someone moving my boat without my permission.

If there is a shortage of space and I am on board I will move my boat myself on request.

But logically, if there is no space of suitable length, where does the approaching boat moor whilst they are moving yours?

As a general principle where it looks like a busy spot, we moor at a discrete distance from any existing boat, leaving room for others to squeeze in.

There are others, of course, who seem to moor central in a gap without giving thought to others who might arrive later. But in their defence it seems a bit antisocial to moor too close to others when there seems to be plenty of room at the time of mooring.

It happened to us once. We were well into the country and the only boat there. Another pulled in and moored up almost touching. That didn't matter at the time, until they set up their portable generator on the towpath to run their TV late into the evening. That was annoying. We didn't say anything - we moved out boat (in the dark) 1/2 mile away.

But you cant't win, whatever you do. It is when the spaces fill up at random, and boats leave at random, do you find your boat is the one that seems to be awkwardly placed.

I would agree with your complaint of when you were moored up well out in the country and someone then moored up closely to you, out in the sticks I'll normally leave quite a distance between our boat and the next, often more than a couple of boat lengths. In the more congested areas though I will moor as close to one boat in the available gap as I can to leave the greatest available mooring space for the next boat. If you are in a busy area you expect to be moored fairly closely but at least it is longitudinal rather than when you are in a marina and are moored alongside the next boat which does impose on the privacy a bitunsure.png (which is why I try to use marinas mainly for leaving the boat when I'm away, rather than staying on)

I moored a couple of weeks ago on a popular VM tucking in nice and tight between about a 35ft boat and a 50 footer. A week later both those boats moved on leaving me looking as though I'd just turned up and moored smack in the middle of a 160ft space!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I too once had a boat moor 2 feet from us when out in the sticks with hundreds of feet of empty armco. They sat outside drinking etc well after dark but as they were at the opposite end to the bedroom it was not a showstopper. I hope they enjoyed the 8:15 departure next day with a few revs as I accelerated away past their boat.

If there is space leave a reasonable half boat length, if it fills up you can always move up. On occasion I have become the b*** in the middle of a gap, when the boats ahead and astern have left whilst I have been enjoying my pup lunch.

Normally, I get a bit miffed if anyone moors within SIGHT of my boat! Mind you, I do make a great effort to be in the sticks.

At VM's, I play the game and make room - but it's usually just for a shopping stop, or a spectacular pub for an early pint.

Normally, I get a bit miffed if anyone moors within SIGHT of my boat! Mind you, I do make a great effort to be in the sticks.

At VM's, I play the game and make room - but it's usually just for a shopping stop, or a spectacular pub for an early pint.

That sounds like a challenge, lol!

Hey they just played "Cherry red" by the Groundhogs on the radio. Right to the end. Not heard that since I was 15!

That sounds like a challenge, lol!

Hey they just played "Cherry red" by the Groundhogs on the radio. Right to the end. Not heard that since I was 15!

Can't be certain I've ever heard that! My pathetic internet connection won't allow me to stream a u-tube version to find out! t2416.gif

Can't be certain I've ever heard that! My pathetic internet connection won't allow me to stream a u-tube version to find out! t2416.gif

Well worth moving to a decent signal area to listen to...

And once you've done that, youtube a few Atomic Rooster tracks. They sound even more awsome now too!

Well worth moving to a decent signal area to listen to...

And once you've done that, youtube a few Atomic Rooster tracks. They sound even more awsome now too!

Moving to a decent signal area is constantly on my mind up here, but we're off on our annual Continuous Cruise (!) in a week or so. Then we'll be ok.

Hmm, Atomic Rooster. Not sure what they sound like either!

(I'm a Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Genesis vintage)

Brilliant Band - I think they were the first band I ever saw live - it was either them or Jon Heisman's Coliseum I can't remember exactly - Split and Who Will Save the World? are both still on my iPod.

I saw Tony TS McPhee live a few years ago, just before his stroke, the voice was showing signs of age, but he could still play like he did in the 70s.

Look at it from the other side of the coin. I am fed up cruising mile after mille past boats moored100 yards apart. Sorry but I don't slow down for you. Then there is the 'popular' spot. Share the rings, Share the bollards. I shouldn't have to ask you to move. Be considerate.

• Greenie 4

The space problem is made worse by groups of Boats moving in unison,there is one guy down here on the GU

South with a wide beam he bought as a sail away three years ago,still not finished and to make matters worse

he has added three other project boats to his fleet.You have to smile.