Dirty stinking filthy Boaters

BoatyMCboatface

Featured Posts

Thats what people call us when they see behaviour like this. If you have an older boat that is rough around the edges you know what it feels like, they take one look at you and your boat then remember the time they saw a boat like this one.

Pictures taken in the last couple of days.

IMAG0173_zpsbaksktkf.jpg

What a genius idea to tie a mooring rope across the Towpath! It has been moored for months behind the lion salt works on the Trent & Mersey. They let it sink so I am most certain that all the ballast and other rubbish dumped including what looks like the remains of a flooded interior is from the boat too.

IMAG0175_zpsmlw9veqm.jpg

IMAG0174_zpsbtw8go7g.jpg

Does anyone know who owns this boat? Perhaps they have a some personal or health issues that have led to this death trap gracing our waterways. No one likes to see a boat sink even if it is due to neglect, however the rest of their behaviour is hard to excuse.

Well there is nothing like getting off to a controversial start.

Welcome to the forum.

Frank.

Thanks, I have used the forum before but this is my first post smile.png(Well really this one is my second)

Ah yes thats the ghost of somone on the towpath who prefered to remain anonymous.

google earth image?

The boat looks very clean and tidy for one which has been sunk, The rubbish, I presume, is against the wooden fence on the bend in the background of the first picture, which seems a long way to cart it from the place the boat is moored. so I'd guess from a different boat.

The mooring isn't ideal, but it looks like a concrete edge, with a gravelled tow path, so probably impossible to drive pins in.

Looks like the boater has made the best of a bad mooring site, and has at least made an attempt to make his ropes visible.

Well as far as I can see that is one tidy looking boat and as for where the pins are knocked in, I have had to do that and the boater concerned has marked them.

The mooring isn't ideal, but it looks like a concrete edge, with a gravelled tow path, so probably impossible to drive pins in.

I recognise the location, it's on Marston New Cut. The towpath edge is sinking due to salt extraction, every few years they add another layer of concrete to the top. Must be feet thick by now!

They could at least have buried the cat, just chucking its drowned body out with the trash is awful.

Looks like a stuffed toy to me, and it seems unlikely a boat that looks as well cared for as the one in the photo would dump a load of rubbish on the tow path.

And the boat looks a whole load smarter than either of mine, and I don't get a load of the 'attitude' the OP describes.

So their only 'offence' of the boat in the photo seems to be a mooring line across the tow path. HANG THEM.

wonder if the cover in the photo is off the boat in the picture - looks like it has a frame for one. - i have seen alot of this along the canal by us over the years, but generally its rare for a boater to dump rubbish. - but i agree one wrong is remembered more than the 1000's of clean boaters.

Edited by the barnacle

This boat unfortunately sank a few weeks back, I don't know the owners circumstances, but it was on another forum that he was well known in the area and people were concerned for his welfare and was being put up somewhere until he could get the boat relocated. I seem to remember that he had a toy dog that stood on the rear deck. As for the rubbish this stretch all ways seems to be littered with bags of beer cans and convenience food wrappers.

Well there is nothing like getting off to a controversial start.

What is controversial about deploring piles of rubbish left on the bankside?

I must agree with other posters that the boat itself looks trim and tidy.

This boat unfortunately sank a few weeks back, I don't know the owners circumstances, but it was on another forum that he was well known in the area and people were concerned for his welfare and was being put up somewhere until he could get the boat relocated. I seem to remember that he had a toy dog that stood on the rear deck. As for the rubbish this stretch all ways seems to be littered with bags of beer cans and convenience food wrappers.

Interesting. So is the photo posted up by the OP the boat raised and re-painted, or is it an old photo from before it sank?

So the boat sunk. Some of the stuff on the towpath, has possibly been rescued from the canal to stop it from fouling. The guy has not been back to sort it all out yet?

Anyway, some kind soul has decided to "plaster" it all over the internet and collect some brownie points. Clever.

• Greenie 1

The photo is recent, I walked past yesterday but did not notice the rubbish,the boat still looks very wet inside and I imagine the engine will need some attention before it can move under its own steam. It's only a few hundred yards from where it sank.

No no no. Yu do not put the rope through the ring - you pass it round the pin and back through the ring. That is certainly no way to moor up a boat, and the lines are slack too. A completely amateur job of it. That sort of thing really irritates.

No no no. Yu do not put the rope through the ring - you pass it round the pin and back through the ring. That is certainly no way to moor up a boat, and the lines are slack too. A completely amateur job of it. That sort of thing really irritates.

Why not? What difference does it make? We have a pair of these pins with rings attaches and we usually feed the rope through the ring. In what way is this incorrect?

Amateur job? Well, it's unlikely that the owner is a professional boatman, so yes, it would be amateur.

So the boat sunk. Some of the stuff on the towpath, has possibly been rescued from the canal to stop it from fouling. The guy has not been back to sort it all out yet?

Anyway, some kind soul has decided to "plaster" it all over the internet and collect some brownie points. Clever.

What is the problem? The O.P. did mention that the boat owner may have personal or health problems, seems fair enough. I would, however, take issue with the title which he has chosen for the thread: it is perhaps a little emotive, especially as there is no evidence that the boater in question is unwashed or malodorous.

Edited by Athy

The said kind soul now trading as bMCb does give his occupation as "busy body".

Why not? What difference does it make? We have a pair of these pins with rings attaches and we usually feed the rope through the ring. In what way is this incorrect?

Amateur job? Well, it's unlikely that the owner is a professional boatman, so yes, it would be amateur.

Using the method on the photo, if the loop breaks away at the weld the rope will release. The correct way is through the loop to the rear of the pin so the latter provides extra support.