Clocks Going Forward

Chris-B

Featured Posts

I recently changed the microwave (to one without a clock) and replaced the other clocks in the house with radio clocks (as in, they receive an accurate time signal by radio) so I had nothing to adjust this morning in the house. The cars' dashboard clocks still need adjusting though.

This puzzles me too. It is a simple task for the manufacturers to program in the hour shifts for a new car for the next, say 50 years surely? (Given car clocks are electronic these days.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

This puzzles me too. It is a simple task for the manufacturers to program in the hour shifts for a new car for the next, say 50 years surely? (Given car clocks are electronic these days.)

Proper clocks are, however, poised to make a comeback. The new Suzuki Vitara, for example, has one, and handsome it looks too.

Proper clocks are, however, poised to make a comeback. The new Suzuki Vitara, for example, has one, and handsome it looks too.

It makes a lot more sense to have an analogue dial clock in a car. You rarely need to know the time to the exact minute when travelling, so a quick glance at an analogue clock gives you the information you need. A digital clock needs reading and interpreting.

It is time that clocks were metric.

Now I like THAT idea! That means that wine o'clock (5pm, or 1700hrs, or the second time the hour hand passes '5' each day) will come forward two hours each day. Yum yum.

The only clock I have to adjust is the one on my oven; I stopped wearing a watch about two years ago because I always carry my mobile.

Automatic adjustment for daylight saving is fine so long as a clock knows its time zone and has a connection to a computer which knows the rules, but I wonder how well these cars cope when driven around into different time zones. Do they use GPS to detect that, e.g. going back an hour when driven across the border from Spain into Portugal, and can they handle all the bizarre local rules which exist in some parts of the world? In Mexico they have some individual towns which are on a different time to the rest of the same state.

The only clock I have to adjust is the one on my oven; I stopped wearing a watch about two years ago because I always carry my mobile.

Automatic adjustment for daylight saving is fine so long as a clock knows its time zone and has a connection to a computer which knows the rules, but I wonder how well these cars cope when driven around into different time zones. Do they use GPS to detect that, e.g. going back an hour when driven across the border from Spain into Portugal, and can they handle all the bizarre local rules which exist in some parts of the world? In Mexico they have some individual towns which are on a different time to the rest of the same state.

Mexico also seems to have some kind thing about having the same time as the US. The divide between the countries is latitudinal, so there's no reason for time to change at the border, but it always does.

On the other extreme, China, which is geographically similar to the US size wise, has only one time zone.