Clocks Going Forward

Chris-B

Featured Posts

Ok people, when the clocks go forward do I need to change the timing on my engine? Or will it still run ok ?

Now you mention it I don't have to put my clocks forward an hour. We are fine weather boaters, so we are usually moored up late September for the Winter, and don't go out again until April, so our boats clock will be bang on the right time - if the batteries have not run down that is.

As for your engine you need to tell us a bit more about it - size, cylinders, gearbox ratio, prop size etc.

All wrong! You have to understand how a clock works .....

There are 24 hours in a day, which is why on a clock face you'll see numbers up to 12.

There are three hands, the small one is hours, the second hand is minutes and the third counts the second.

When the small one points to a number that's hours.

When the second hand points to 1 it's five, 2 is ten and 3 is fifteen or a quarter ok? 4 is twenty, 5 is twenty five and 6 is thirty or half past. Clear? 7 is thirty five or twenty five to, 8 is forty or twenty to and of course 9 is forty five, a quarter to or three quarters past. Obviously 10 is fifty or indeed ten while 11 equals fifty five or five to. 12 is o'clock, but everyone knows that ...... why are you crying?

The third hand which is the second hand doesn't tell you anything as it moves too quickly.

So what you need to do is put all that back 1 hour, or sixty minutes or do it while counting up to 360, which you can do forward while doing it backward.

• Greenie 1

I think we should move the Inland Waterways to the old Japanese temporal system - I learnt about this when taking a friend to the British Museum last weekend.

Until about 1868 the daylight period was divided up into six hours, as was the nighttime. This made the design and operation of clocks somewhat tricky, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clock

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I usually put my clocks forward in late afternoon before the dedicated hour. That way I don't feel I've lost an hour. Far worse is putting the clocks back. I havethat many clocks that it takes me more than an hour to reset them all, so I don't gain anything. What used to be the worst were the ones that needed to go through their chime every hour until I hit on the idea that instead of trying to put the clock back an hour, it was much easier to just stop it for an hour.

I think we should move the Inland Waterways to the old Japanese temporal system - I learnt about this when taking a friend to the British Museum last weekend.

Until about 1868 the daylight period was divided up into six hours, as was the nighttime. This made the design and operation of clocks somewhat tricky, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clock

Isn't that elegant

Richard

I recently changed the microwave (to one without a clock) and replaced the other clocks in the house with radio clocks (as in, they receive an accurate time signal by radio) so I had nothing to adjust this morning in the house. The cars' dashboard clocks still need adjusting though.