Our First (very) mini Odyssey.. Great Haywood to Hinckley

lampini

Featured Posts

Hi fellow night owl smile.png

I'm loving your posts - your joy and enthusiasm shines through and reminds me so much of me when we first moved aboard 7 years ago.

It's a massive learning curve to start with - solar panels made a huge difference to our overheads and quality of life. After having to run the engine for 3-4 hours each day we could go from April to October without running it whilst moored. Also plugging stuff straight into the 12v makes a big difference rather than using the inverter.

Never be afraid to ask questions - lots of us have been on your journey and the forum is a fantastic resource

Hubby was intrigued by the notion of strip Scrabble BTW until he recalled that we don't play Scrabble any more cos I always beat him, so it'd be him sitting in the nuddy biggrin.png

Awww cheers mate.... hug.gif

TBH it feels for both of us like we've come home!cloud9.gif

Here's thems pics of my nackered 12v double socket. Really like to get a proper replacement - have seen nice rubbery ones somewhere?

post-19662-0-64709100-1461177857_thumb.jpg

this is what was left - beer was NOT involved at the time!

post-19662-0-38345900-1461177891_thumb.jpg

captain.gif

ETA would LIKE the replacement to NOT involve soldering - i do have and can use soldering iron but wouldn't be able to isolate batteries at the same time if you see wot i mean!blink.png

Edited by lampini

Definitely not my area of expertise! It'd be worth you starting a new thread posing the question with a title that shows what you're asking - there are folk on the forum that would be able to answer you that may not read this thread. The same goes for any specific queries - a separate thread for each one gives you the best chance of responses from those with expertise in that area.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your travels :)

Definitely not my area of expertise! It'd be worth you starting a new thread posing the question with a title that shows what you're asking - there are folk on the forum that would be able to answer you that may not read this thread. The same goes for any specific queries - a separate thread for each one gives you the best chance of responses from those with expertise in that area.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your travels :)

Good advice as always Ange!

OH off to London - poor thing.. I'm walking back to get the car this morning. I'll fire up the lappy later and do a proper new thread..

First night on my OWN on 't boat tonight!

?

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly at Trinity Marina; and of course neither of us want to go, we just want to keep cruising! But jobs demand - at least for the time being...

Will try and post some pics soon... we've both just had the best time and are utterly in love with this bote!! wub.png

The top end of the Ashby sho' is callin'!

smile.png

Awww cheers mate.... hug.gif

TBH it feels for both of us like we've come home!cloud9.gif

Here's thems pics of my nackered 12v double socket. Really like to get a proper replacement - have seen nice rubbery ones somewhere?

attachicon.gif12v socket1.JPG

this is what was left - beer was NOT involved at the time!

attachicon.gif12v socket2.JPG

captain.gif

ETA would LIKE the replacement to NOT involve soldering - i do have and can use soldering iron but wouldn't be able to isolate batteries at the same time if you see wot i mean!blink.png

This type of thing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Dual-USB-Charging-Waterproof-Connector-12V-/331345880302?hash=item4d25c0e4ee:g:ypgAAOSwzrxUr6ye

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SS-Triple-3-1-Amp-USB-Charger-Voltmeter-12-V-Socket-Panel-Marine-Outlet-Jack-/231578330328?hash=item35eb24e4d8:g:73EAAOSwpDdVaavp

And if you need to solder.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-butane-gas-micro-soldering-torch-kit/36233?kpid=36233&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Tools&gclid=CjwKEAjw0pa5BRCLmoKIx_HTh1wSJABk5F_4xNS94cqUHsalAbrRTQntCbNWH2BehpUvIpzxXTZgqhoCFkHw_wcB

Although I prefer to used insulated crimp connections.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ratchet-crimping-tool-1-0-10mm/96561

Edited by Kwacker

Of course Kwacker - the penny drops now - the word I was missing from all my searches was MOTORCYCLE!!! Many thanks chap!

Back in my day, the concept of a cigarette lighter socket for a bike would only be heard prefixed by "about as useful as"... On phone so can't do a "bangs head" emoticon!!

I used to have a gas soldering iron for "in the middle of a field" work, but never really got on with it.. But as we've now made it to Trinity, I can isolate the 12v and use my 230v on the shoreline - so no probs...

Just as a matter of interest, I once read in a marine electrics manual that connections should always be soldered when possible, due to vibration etc.. I'm a fan of crimp connections.. Any opinions?

Wish I'd read this thread earlier. We were moored one boat down from you two nights ago, and you came past us yesterday. We're heading slowly to the end and back.

MP.

We're jealous MP, when we turned into Trinity i knew we both wanted to carry on and explore... but work commitments and boat works forbid - at least until Mr Lampini has comleted the latest trip to horrid London.. But who knows? We're already plotting and scheming to get out on another trip..... and i'm rather good at plotting and scheming it seems!

BTW... could you feel the smugness emanating from us as we chugged past?! We're bloody so chuffed with this bote.... cloud9.gif

We're jealous MP, when we turned into Trinity i knew we both wanted to carry on and explore... but work commitments and boat works forbid - at least until Mr Lampini has comleted the latest trip to horrid London.. But who knows? We're already plotting and scheming to get out on another trip..... and i'm rather good at plotting and scheming it seems!

BTW... could you feel the smugness emanating from us as we chugged past?! We're bloody so chuffed with this bote.... cloud9.gif

Not sure about smug-detection, but the bote certainly looks smart.

Did you encounter the mad chap in the speedboat on the Coventry, just before the junction?

Will wave as we pass the marina this morning.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Not sure about smug-detection, but the bote certainly looks smart.

Did you encounter the mad chap in the speedboat on the Coventry, just before the junction?

Will wave as we pass the marina this morning.

MP.

Thanks MP blush.png

Not sure about a chap in a speedbote - but we DID encounter a mad old gay couple in a grp cruiser just after Wittington on the T&M, pulled over to let 'em past to shouts of "cheers - gotta make Tewkesbury!"

Not that they were speeding - we just like going slo!biggrin.png

Did you get what you required from Springwood Haven?

We got measured up for panels.. but sadly the chap we were to see had gorn orf with a hernia!sick.gif

Still, we woulda had to go back anyhoo - am compiling a list of electrical other jobs too for him to quote from - it keeps changing! frusty.gifcaptain.gif

We're on shorepower at Trinity now so nowt is hurting whilst we sort our lives and worky stuff out...

All is good tho... got my post today with new eco-fan in it - so heads up for a heatwave! icecream.gif

Thanks MP blush.png

Not sure about a chap in a speedbote - but we DID encounter a mad old gay couple in a grp cruiser just after Wittington on the T&M, pulled over to let 'em past to shouts of "cheers - gotta make Tewkesbury!"

Not them. We were passed by a chap in a little plastic speedboat doing about 30mph whilst heading towards the junction along the Cov. from the Hawkesbury direction. He must have turned around before Hawkesbury and came back past us just as we were lining up to pass another NB going the opposite way. He was too late to stop, and squeezed through the ever-narrowing gap between the two NB's bows with inches to spare. Last seen heading towards Charity Dock and the the junction with the Ashby.

MP.

Get yourself up the Asbhy, lovely stretch of water, i am moored up the top and loving it, so quite, no kids or motorbikes, sit at night listening to the ducks and birds singing away, the fish splashing on the surface... Heaven!

Get yourself up the Asbhy, lovely stretch of water, i am moored up the top and loving it, so quite, no kids or motorbikes, sit at night listening to the ducks and birds singing away, the fish splashing on the surface... Heaven!

Ah yes, the singing ducks of the Asbhy, I remember them well.

Not them. We were passed by a chap in a little plastic speedboat doing about 30mph whilst heading towards the junction along the Cov. from the Hawkesbury direction. He must have turned around before Hawkesbury and came back past us just as we were lining up to pass another NB going the opposite way. He was too late to stop, and squeezed through the ever-narrowing gap between the two NB's bows with inches to spare. Last seen heading towards Charity Dock and the the junction with the Ashby.

MP.

Bluddy Hell - no, thank god we didn't encounter them - if we had i may have needed a lie-down!

Aren't you thinking of the "Ashby quacktet"?

That's it - I'm sold! Just chuck in a couple of mugs of Mr Payne's "special" hot chocolate and nirvana achieved....

tongue.png

center line, jeez how long do you think my boat is, thats the line for the fender.

Yeah right, like that handrail isn't man enough to hold a fender? Admit it, your boat just looks like it's full size plus because of the foreshortening effect of the camera lens! :D (You need to stow that washing line you've left up forra'd of your houdini hatch by the way, or someone may think you have two centre lines)