Quiet Easter

dogless

Featured Posts

We cruised to the top of the Audlem flight yesterday, did the top two and moored.

This morning in glorious sunshine we dropped down to moor all alone, between locks 11 and 12.

One boat has joined us during the day, but I would have expected the flight to be busier than this just from the nearby marina traffic.

Makes one wonder where everyone is? I understand there's a jazz festival on in Nantwich. If anyone reading this is moored there, is it particularly busy ?

I know the weather is set to go downhill tomorrow, but it still seems remarkably quiet.

Rog

They're all here!

Tonight the moorings at Fradley Junction are full.

First time for very many months.

They were even almost empty at Christmas and the New Year.

The Mucky Duck has been full all evening for the last two nights, and the food is back on and really good!

Happy Easter

James

We stopped off at the New inn, Buckby wharf yesterday arvo for a snackette, a pint for him and a Gongoozle for both of us. Busy with punters and boats going up and down the locks. Sat outside with a rather tasty shepherds pie in the sun, watching the boats float up in front of us - by 'eck that's quite a deep lock!

Everybody's in Milton Keynes. Massive queue yesterday at Fenny Stratford Lock. Lots of gongoozlers, and about a hundred hire boats coming through doing brilliant Timothy West impressions!

I'm currently recovering from all the sudden stress in Stoke Hammond, where The Dolphin is going to see some serious money go through the till today!

Twas very busy on the GU in rural Northants in the lovely sunshine.

Lots of boaters probably waking up this morning and thinking "do I really have to go out in this wind?"

Monday morning looks to be really nasty on the weather front.

It was very busy between Napton and Braunston yesterday, and very pleasent indeed.

Not so good today, the wind is very strong at the moment. Getting up courage to move into Braunston, where we are meeting our daughter, not looking forward to the wind.

It needs to be busy between Napton and Braunston to prevent the helmsman going to sleep. Despite the prettiness of the former and the great historic appeal of the latter, the waterway connecting the two is on the tedious side of boring unless there's something to do, such as getting out of the way of other boats.

Edited by Athy

They're all here!

The Mucky Duck has been full all evening for the last two nights, and the food is back on and really good!

Happy Easter

James

Blimey it's really quiet up here north of High Onn, maybe 4 boats yesterday. Considering what the rest of you are reporting here, I think I'll cancel the summer cruise and stay up here!

They're all here!

Happy Easter

James

That's good news. I knew the place would come back to life again!

This pub is a classic example of how TripAdvisor gets it wrong. It always got dismal reviews, but you couldn't get to the bar on most Sundays for the crowds.

It needs to be busy between Napton and Braunston to prevent the helmsman going to sleep. Despite the prettiness of the former and the great historic appeal of the latter, the waterway connecting the two is on the tedious side of boring unless there's something to do, such as getting out of the way of other boats.

Each to their own, I quite like it, but is one of the busiest sections of canal in the country I would think. Anyway in Braunston now, deciding if we go up the locks or not.

It was very busy between Napton and Braunston yesterday, and very pleasent indeed.

Not so good today, the wind is very strong at the moment. Getting up courage to move into Braunston, where we are meeting our daughter, not looking forward to the wind.

I am guessing that you don't mean that your daughter has a wind problem.....

• Greenie 1

Each to their own, I quite like it,

Indeed, if we all liked the same stretch then it would have a permanent traffic jam!

Perhaps my favourite stretch of canal is the Oxford Summit pound between Marston Doles and Claydon. As Mrs. Athy can take or leave that section, I always get to steer along it and have fun hurling Trojan round the corners at a knuckle-whitening three-and-a-bit m.p.h.

You are not alone in that view......it seems to take forever....the only excitement is meeting stuff at the skew bridges!

My OH feels the same way about the Leicester summit but I quite like that!

Cheers

Gareth

Jane isn't a fan of the stretch between Rose Narrow Boats and Ansty for some reason. There is the railway, motorway, and long straights to contend with, but I find it pleasant (if a little shallow).

Still moored all alone on the moorings at Audlem, with little traffic on the locks. Feel like I've been sent to Coventry ;)

Rog

Four boats each way through Salters Lode on this morning's tide. There were eleven through Denver yesterday (six to/from Salters and five bound for Kings Lynn). Its all waking up in the Fens.

Bl**dy windy though, but Matty's favourite(?) stretch from Nordelph to Outwell it was at least a tail-wind.

MP.

We cruised to the top of the Audlem flight yesterday, did the top two and moored.

This morning in glorious sunshine we dropped down to moor all alone, between locks 11 and 12.

One boat has joined us during the day, but I would have expected the flight to be busier than this just from the nearby marina traffic.

Makes one wonder where everyone is? I understand there's a jazz festival on in Nantwich. If anyone reading this is moored there, is it particularly busy ?

I know the weather is set to go downhill tomorrow, but it still seems remarkably quiet.

Rog

We passed Nantwich yesterday wanting to stop but bumper to bumper, so carried on past, got to Barbridge and got bus in, loads of bands on, all pubs full good atmosphere, band in main square,2 quid in by bus. 8 quid back in cab. very nice hic

We passed Nantwich yesterday wanting to stop but bumper to bumper, so carried on past, got to Barbridge and got bus in, loads of bands on, all pubs full good atmosphere, band in main square,2 quid in by bus. 8 quid back in cab. very nice hic

Hope the festival all went well......they certainly didn't have the best weather

Rog

Hope the festival all went well......they certainly didn't have the best weather

Rog

It was fine till about 4m then lashed down, but outside markets etc would of had a good day up to then

I hadn't planned on a quiet Easter but it turned out that way. Having spent hours in a traffic jam on the M25 on Thursday, we found on Friday morning that the boat wouldn't start. As the day wore on I pottered about trying to make myself useful while three men who know about engines did whatever experts do in the engine room, and had plenty of time to observe the passing traffic. I don't know the wider picture because in the end we gave up and went home today, but can report that our spot on the canal in Nottingham seemed fairly busy. Many joggers on the towpath, a few cyclists, and an assortment of passing boats, probably wondering why we were going nowhere in such nice boating weather. There was a stag party on a Canaltime boat, complete with one man in full sailor's uniform (tropical whites, US Navy I think) and a blow-up doll looking out of a window.

I did get to do one little bit of boat handling, when the bow of a neighbouring boat drifted across the cut and I pulled it in and tied it up again.

Excitement over, I carried on with the gongoozling.

On the way back south today feeling a bit starved of actual boating we paused for lunch at the New Inn at Buckby, and were soon outside by the lock. The weather there was dull with a few spots of rain but not as grim as it seems to have been in some places (my brother who's hiring on the L&L reports terrible wind and rain), and the people on the few hire boats that went by were enjoying their experience.