Hiding posts.

Robbo

Featured Posts

Is their a option to hide threads in the forum software (bit like you can do on Facebook). Like many I use the new content option but some active threads I have no interest in (I know you can only show certain areas in the new content area).

Not on a per-thread level, but yes on a per-subforum level. On the bottom left of view new content is "Filter by Forum". Select this and tick the subforums you want to appear.

If the per thread level can be suggested to the forum software makers as I'm sure a few would use.

If the per thread level can be suggested to the forum software makers as I'm sure a few would use.

But surely you first have to view a thread to know you don't want to read it, subsequently you know that when that particular thread comes up on VNC there is no need to visit it again.

But surely you first have to view a thread to know you don't want to read it, subsequently you know that when that particular thread comes up on VNC there is no need to visit it again.

Yep and you can say read all to the thread, but if the thread is active with new posts it still shows in the new content feed and if you don't come to the forum often I get pages of new content and I may miss some new threads I do care about.

The forum software makers took a bunch of suggestions and made v3 into v4, but in doing so made the "conversion" from old to new a 2 day long process, and the new version is slower too. I don't know its feature set and our test site which ran it is testing something else now, so there's no easy way of checking. Their website is www.invisionpower.com

ETA: In fact its worse. I don't have an Admin area to log into to look at, but on version 4 there is a different way they list items in the equivalent of "View New Content" which gives vaguely similar options as our version 3, however there is no "Filter by Forum" option so it won't be possible to do that any more. That's unless there's some kind of add-on or configuration to provide a similar feature, which isn't in the v4 forum I can see (the Invision support forum).

I could only suggest, that if there's threads that you determinly want to ignore, the underlying reason might be their subject area is one you might want to ignore - and if that fits into how we've split the subforums, happy days since you can "filter by forum". If its particular topic areas which all end up in a subforum you otherwise want to read, by all means suggest a different/better subdivision of the forums. If its particular posters, while there's an option to "Ignore" certain posters, any threads they start (or contribute to) will still appear in VNC eg when they're updated.

There is a clumsy inverted way to do it, I think.

Click on 'follow this thread' when one interests you, and don't 'follow' the threads you don't like.

I tend to do that anyhow. It's just the new threads I may miss.

The forum software makers took a bunch of suggestions and made v3 into v4, but in doing so made the "conversion" from old to new a 2 day long process, and the new version is slower too. I don't know its feature set and our test site which ran it is testing something else now, so there's no easy way of checking. Their website is www.invisionpower.com

Just had a quick gander at v4 as well, it is quite different to v3. It was more a nice to have feature for me.