Getting rid of Canada Geese from marinas

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

At this juncture I should make it clear, Jerra, that although our opinions may not totally concur I am reading your posts attentively and learning from them. It is obvious that your study of birds over many years has been at a much deeper level than mine - I can certainly claim a lifelong interest in and appreciation of birds (one of the several things which I'm pleased that my late father taught me) but can't truly claim to be a student of them. So please don't infer any animosity from my remarks - I am grateful to you for imparting your knowledge.

Sorry I wasn't particularly aiming my remarks about immigrants at you it is commonly used and just IMO plain wrong. No animosity even considered.

Sorry I wasn't particularly aiming my remarks about immigrants at you it is commonly used and just IMO plain wrong. No animosity even considered.

I meant about the geese, their behaviour, status and environmental impact in general, not about the terminology in particular.

At this juncture I should make it clear, Jerra, that although our opinions may not totally concur I am reading your posts attentively and learning from them. It is obvious that your study of birds over many years has been at a much deeper level than mine - I can certainly claim a lifelong interest in and appreciation of birds (one of the several things which I'm pleased that my late father taught me) but can't truly claim to be a student of them. So please don't infer any animosity from my remarks - I am grateful to you for imparting your knowledge.

So, if we are to use the term "introduced", then who introduced Canada Geese to Britain and why? My guess would be to adorn the lakes of the stately homes of nobility and landed gentry.

According to Wikipedia:

"The geese were first introduced in Britain in the late 17th century as an addition to King James II's waterfowl collection in St. James's Park. "

Been here a while, then.

I meant about the geese, their behaviour, status and environmental impact in general, not about the terminology in particular.

With regard to that I think there is a term for it, hold on I will remember it in a minute.........

Discussion ah that's the word I was looking for. biggrin.png

According to Wikipedia:

"The geese were first introduced in Britain in the late 17th century as an addition to King James II's waterfowl collection in St. James's Park. "

Been here a while, then.

Yes they have but the population was small until the mid 20th century and then it really took off. As a young lad I never saw Canadas this is far from the case now.

This isn't unusual for example mink had been around as a very small population before the population was boosted by the animal rights releases then it exploded. (Yes I know messy things are exploding mink).

Why populations Like Canadas suddenly take off after years of being around isn't I don't think known.

EDIT to cast a little more light on the explosion of Canada Geese

The Status of Birds in Britain and Ireland 1971 gives them as not scarce which means a population of about 1000 to 10,000 pairs.

THe BTO Bird Atlas 2007 - 11 shows a 68% increase in winter distribution in the last 30 years.

Edited by Jerra

Aha! Blame the Scots!

the population was small until the mid 20th century and then it really took off.

Aye, birds do tend to do that.

Many thanks to chesire rose, Ssscruddy, and Jerra for your helpful advice. I suppose getting only 3 sensible answers out of 50 replies is par for the course for this forum. It's reminded my of why I rarely visit here any more

So you asked a question, and then you start moaning because you "only" get 3 answers that you (in your infiniite wisdom) consider "sensible".

Given the poor standard of service that you have received, I'd ask for your money back if I were you.

As amply demonstrated by "Boaty McBoatface", if you ask a question on the internet, not all responses are going to be entirely serious.

IMHO this forum is no better or worse than any other in this respect.

With the possible exception that the standard of the humour is generally better.

• Greenie 4

So you asked a question, and then you start moaning because you "only" get 3 answers that you (in your infiniite wisdom) consider "sensible".

Given the poor standard of service that you have received, I'd ask for your money back if I were you.

As amply demonstrated by "Boaty McBoatface", if you ask a question on the internet, not all responses are going to be entirely serious.

IMHO this forum is no better or worse than any other in this respect.

With the possible exception that the standard of the humour is generally better.

Greeno awarded for sanity.

So, the case against Canada geese is that they eat, they excrete and they're bloody immigrants. The first two are practised by all birds, and the last should not be an issue. The case for them is that they are attractive birds and seeing them on the water or by the water is one of the pleasures of boating; the same could be said for ducks, herons, moorhens and other species (even, according to some obstinate sources, mute swans). The jury may still be out, but personally I don't think there's a case to answer.

I like furry animals but Mink, mice and rats are not very high on that list. I like several insects but again Gnats, Bluebottles, wasps don't rate to highly but I help a bee in trouble. We are all a little bit choosy I think.

I like furry animals but Mink, mice and rats are not very high on that list. I like several insects but again Gnats, Bluebottles, wasps don't rate to highly but I help a bee in trouble. We are all a little bit choosy I think.

I'm with you on mink, which kill other, arguably furrier, animals for food. Geese, to the best of my knowledge, do not do this.

I'm with you on mink, which kill other, arguably furrier, animals for food. Geese, to the best of my knowledge, do not do this.

They do but by a long round about route. They make changes to the environment which aren't happening with our native species. Those changes to habitat have detrimental results on all sorts of species.

I don't know that this example actually happens but it is a possibility to my mind. The geese flatten and trample canal/river/lake side vegetation and this could have 2 effects on say Water Voles. Food sources are removed and contaminated, burrows and foraging voles are left exposed to predators.

I thought my suggestion to eat the eggs was sensible...Mr Google has lots of recipes if you don't like fried eggs

Providing you can be sure they are fresh it would work well although perhaps not as well as "pricking" the eggs and leaving them in the nest.

They would start a new clutch sooner if the eggs disappear where as they will continue to sit on pricked or blown eggs and may not have time for a second clutch when they finally give up.

Providing you can be sure they are fresh it would work well although perhaps not as well as "pricking" the eggs and leaving them in the nest.

They would start a new clutch sooner if the eggs disappear where as they will continue to sit on pricked or blown eggs and may not have time for a second clutch when they finally give up.

Intrestingly my ex as part of her degree did some work into egg pricking as a control method and apparently the eggs can seal the hole over and remain viable

Intrestingly my ex as part of her degree did some work into egg pricking as a control method and apparently the eggs can seal the hole over and remain viable

It doesn't take a degree to know that sticking a prick near an egg can lead to unfortunate circumstances.

• Greenie 1

It doesn't take a degree to know that sticking a prick near an egg can lead to unfortunate circumstances.

There followed a pregnant silence...

Greeno awarded for the quip of the day!

Immigrants are often frostily received when first they reach our shores, until the public eventually tolerate and then accept them.

Take the case of the grey squirrel. A generation ago, people were throwing up their arms in horror because these nasty foreign squirrels were taking over the habitats of the true-blue red squirrel. Now, most of us just enjoy seeing them and accept that they are part of the country scene.

I will avoid the geese conversation as Jerra has it well covered but grey squirrels I will chat about.

Greys are another introduced species and their effect on reds are twofold.

They carry a virus which although they are immune to will effect reds

They are a much more agressive specices and so drive the reds out of their native areas

Greys are very damageing to woodlands both by chewing new growth and bark stripping to line and build dreys

To a degree you are correct many people accept greys as part of the native population and love them ( to be fair they are very cute) but I can assure you, in my world there is still a drive to control the population

Boom :)

I will avoid the geese conversation as Jerra has it well covered but grey squirrels I will chat about.

Greys are another introduced species and their effect on reds are twofold.

They carry a virus which although they are immune to will effect reds

They are a much more agressive specices and so drive the reds out of their native areas

Greys are very damageing to woodlands both by chewing new growth and bark stripping to line and build dreys

To a degree you are correct many people accept greys as part of the native population and love them ( to be fair they are very cute) but I can assure you, in my world there is still a drive to control the population

Yes, I fully appreciate what you say, and of course as an arboreal professional you see things in a more informed way than the general public.

I have never carried it out myself but I am given to understand by those who are supposed to know that you need a reasonable sized hole.

Far too many people have been pushing the envelope on this one.

I haven't finished reading through the topic yet but I am locking it until we decide what to do with it.

Theo

I have decided to reopen the topic after so more pruning. Lots of interesting discussion here but I will lock it again if I consider it necessary.

Theo

I dunno - I noticed a surviving comment which could be construed as derogatory to the Scots.

Only one? What the heck has happened to all the others?

I've had a quick flick through and can spot only two removed posts. So I am none the wiser as to why the thread was locked. Does anyone have a clue?

Only one? What the heck has happened to all the others?

I've had a quick flick through and can spot only two removed posts. So I am none the wiser as to why the thread was locked. Does anyone have a clue?

I can't spot any and can't remember anything which might have been against the forum rules.