Getting rid of Canada Geese from marinas

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

Boats moored on all the pontoons helps giving them nowhere to go, ie if a pontoon is empty they will use it, they don't like not being able to see. We also have plants around the marina supposedly designed to allow the small birds (eg ducks coots etc) to get in & out of the water but too close for the geese to do so. Combine this with not feeding the damn things (which is banned at my marina yet several people regularly feed them).
I've seen these measures in place over the last 3 years & it has worked enough to make a significant difference.

Goose-free, eh? After this anserine cleansing, what will you target next? Mallards, nasty quacky things with their ludicrous flat bills and silly joined-up feet, absolute waste of space, kill them all. While you're at it those robins, jumped-up little gits flaunting their red breasts in public, crush them underfoot. And don't get me started on those slippery, goggle-eyed things that swim about in the marina water, what d'you call them? Fish, that's it. Put 'em in a barrel and shoot 'em.

• Greenie 4

bloody migrants coming over here lets shoot them /shine laser pens in their eyes /stop them from feeding.

14skipper

...and then let's start on those geese, yeah, here we go here we go here we go...

Boats moored on all the pontoons helps giving them nowhere to go, ie if a pontoon is empty they will use it, they don't like not being able to see. We also have plants around the marina supposedly designed to allow the small birds (eg ducks coots etc) to get in & out of the water but too close for the geese to do so. Combine this with not feeding the damn things (which is banned at my marina yet several people regularly feed them).

I've seen these measures in place over the last 3 years & it has worked enough to make a significant difference.

we were at Northampton for the sneak preview opening at the IWA festival in 2011, there were was a mating pair of Canada Geese who were what you might call a bit aggressive, gave our Rottie the fright of his life!

Surely the whole problem is one of insufficient enforcement. CRT are failing yet again, obviously. I doubt these geese are properly licenced and insured with valid BSS. Why oh why are CRT sitting on their hands instead of immediately Section8-ing them?

We need answers.

When do we need them? NOW.

• Greenie 2

bloody migrants coming over here lets shoot them /shine laser pens in their eyes /stop them from feeding.

14skipper

Unfortunately they are resident! The problem with moving them on is they just go somewhere undisturbed like farmers fields.. Last year I passed a canal side field of Barley with a 20 yard strip completely trampled and eaten by Canadas.

Humane culling is the only sensible way.

Surely the whole problem is one of insufficient enforcement. CRT are failing yet again, obviously. I doubt these geese are properly licenced and insured with valid BSS. Why oh why are CRT sitting on their hands instead of immediately Section8-ing them?

We need answers.

When do we need them? NOW.

BSS? Bird Safety Sertificate?

It's fair enough as long as they stay in the marina, but I have noticed groups of geese occupying the same bit of bankside for periods in excess of 14 days. I've even seen them just sitting on a lock landing. And don't get me started on moorhens: last year I saw two of them staying in the same place for three whole months, yet nothing was done. These CNers* should be severely punished.

* Continuous Nesters.

This has to be a wind up.

"I know I think I'll go and buy a boat and keep it in a marina."

"What do you mean by allowing water fowl in here?"

"Whatever next? Are you going to tell me that the wind rustles the trees?"

"I shall write to an Internet Forum in order to garner support against this outrage."

I ran a pub in a small village years ago. New neighbours moved in two doors up and objected to the renewal of my licence because they didn't like living near a pub. You go figure.

Anyhoo, I've got to go now, I'm taking my placard out to wave at those bloody noisy Red Arrows who are forever practicing above my house here in Lincoln.

This has to be a wind up.

"I know I think I'll go and buy a boat and keep it in a marina."

"What do you mean by allowing water fowl in here?"

"Whatever next? Are you going to tell me that the wind rustles the trees?"

"I shall write to an Internet Forum in order to garner support against this outrage."

I ran a pub in a small village years ago. New neighbours moved in two doors up and objected to the renewal of my licence because they didn't like living near a pub. You go figure.

Anyhoo, I've got to go now, I'm taking my placard out to wave at those bloody noisy Red Arrows who are forever practicing above my house here in Lincoln.

Canada geese are considered pests.

Canada geese are considered pests.

By the O.P., evidently yes. Most people probably consider them as handsome waterfowl. The sight of a skein of them flying in perfect formation is truly one of nature's wonders, I never tire of seeing it.

• Greenie 2

Maybe if this dish was more popular, goose numbers would be lower:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/229862/canada-goose-in-sweet-chili-sauce/

Urgghh! Sweet chilli sauce? What a shame to ruin a tasty bit of goose with that smeared all over it!

Roasted with all the trimmings, a goose isn't just for Christmas you know :)

Edited by gazza

Urgghh! Sweet chilli sauce? What a shame to ruin in a tasty bit of goose with that smeared all over it!

Roasted with all the trimmings, a goose isn't just for Christmas you know smile.png

The trouble with Canada geese is that you have no way of knowing how old they are.

If you're lucky, it's a young one and succulent.

If it's an old one, well let's just say that you will have had better meals!

The trouble with Canada geese is that you have no way of knowing how old they are.

If you're lucky, it's a young one and succulent.

If it's an old one, well let's just say that you will have had better meals!

Slow cook the Heston way

Slow cook the Heston way

One of my freinds had his own special recipe for Canada Goose.

It involved placing a housebrick in the body cavity and then roasting it in a low oven.

When the brick is tender, the goose is cooked.

I'm not sure if he was entirely serious...

It involved placing a housebrick in the body cavity and then roasting it in a low oven.

Love it!

I thought you throw away the goose and eat the brick.

By the O.P., evidently yes. Most people probably consider them as handsome waterfowl. The sight of a skein of them flying in perfect formation is truly one of nature's wonders, I never tire of seeing it.

Totally agree provided they are flying away from our mooring.